Kindle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Curious. I just did it for Amazon, and it took a crapload of time. Plus, I signed up for the affiliate program so I had to go through those flaming hoops, too (going to the linkmaker page, pasting the ASIN to get the affiliate link, etc). Not complaining, but if there's really no evidence of increased sales I'm not sure I'll bother next time. (I don't hand-code, I compile with Scrivener.)

Should I

A. keep doing this, and I guess that'll mean updating the old books too when I publish the new books,
B. if so, do it just for Amazon, or
c. also for B&N, Apple, AllRomance, Kobo?... (insert pic of me pulling my hair out)
D. or say the h with it?

Part of the hassle to me seems that you have to publish twice--once to get the published book's link, then a second time to include the proper links for all the books.

If I don't do it, I can always just include a page with my other books, with no links, and let the reader track 'em down... yeah, like that ever happens?

Again, not complaining, I'm happy to work hard, but I just like to make everything as efficient as possible. If the return on effort-investment isn't worth it I can spend my hours doing something else--like writing!  :eek:

·
Registered
203 Posts
I'm going to do it.  I've read too many threads where the authors say it helped with their sales.  Also, as a reader, I'm way more likely to get the book if I can just click a link, I might forget otherwise.  And you're doing it the right way, with affiliate links so that you can track it.  Don'tcha just hate it when the worthwhile things are also the most annoying to do?

·
Registered
1,809 Posts
I always do. It can be a pain sometimes and quite time consuming, but if someone reads and likes one of your books, the easier you make it to find more of your work, the more likely you are to get additional sales from them. If you make them do the heavy lifting in tracking you down, that likelihood can drop dramatically.

Your hassle lessens their hassle = sales!  :)

·
Registered
395 Posts
I do an Also By Aaron Pogue page in all my books (and Also By pages for my other authors in all the books I publish). It was definitely a pain to do it by hand, but now that it's automated, it's an incredible resource.

The next step is getting it to automatically include links to different stores based on the version of the ebook I'm creating (so links to Amazon if it's a mobi going to KDP, links to Kobo if it's an epub going to Kobo, links to iTunes if it's an epub going to Apple...). I'm chomping at the bit for that feature.

·
Registered
5,749 Posts
TexasGirl said:
I used to, but there got to be too many venues and too many books. Now I just create a page on my blog that lists all the places each book is available, plus reviews, and I link to that in all the books.

Like this:

http://deannaroy.com/stella-and-dane-a-honky-tonk-romance/
I used to do it that way, but now I do store-specific links for each of my books, using my affiliate code. It's really not too much trouble, and I suspect that lots of readers would rather do it with one click rather than being led first to my website, and THEN to the retailer.

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
I'm in a state that can't get Amazon affiliate accounts, but I always link to my other books within that store. I use a template for each retailer, so I only have to update one link--the latest one--each time. Takes a few minutes.

Not taking those few minutes is leaving money on the table. I can't think of a good reason to do that.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Yes and with books in related niches, I add sample chapters in it as well.  My weight loss books all have chapters of the other books in them as well.  I get roughly a fifty-percent boost in both of my books to whatever I get in the first book. So it's worth it.  I do believe you guys may want to check the KDP TOS I don't believe you're allowed to put affiliate links, even to your books, in your books.  I've read that in several places.  You might want to check it out.

·
Registered
440 Posts

·
Registered
726 Posts
MPTPGV said:
I don't believe you're allowed to put affiliate links, even to your books, in your books. I've read that in several places. You might want to check it out.
This is correct. It is not just a KDP rule, but also an affiliate program rule. You are not allowed to put the affiliate links in emails, ebooks, etc. Only on webpages. But in your books you can always put a link to a webpage that contains the affiliate links. That is much easier to update with new titles anyway, and it gets more people to your webpage where they might decide to sign up for a newsletter or blog feed or whatever ese you offer.

·
Registered
3,642 Posts
Upon pondering this, I think I like them coming to my site more than I like sending them straight to a retailer page.

I think they make a connection with me as a person, and perhaps read my blog a bit. I get about five new subscribers a week, and 90% are clicking through from within books (I use tinyurls to see where traffic comes from.)

Maybe I'd get more immediate sales with retailer links, but once they are on my list, then they get my new release emails with direct links, long after they might have forgotten me.

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
I do on Amazon.  I do a chapter of the next book and a list with links to all the other books I have. 

Does it help?  I like to think so.  So you spend 10 minutes (each) going back into the old ones to add the links.  Big deal.  If I had dozens of books, I'd probably do them in batches (maybe update once a month/quarter/whatever), and I'd focus on what's relevant to the book I'm updating, but yes, I'll keep doing it.  Whatever makes it even one smidgeon easier for the customer to buy my wares, I try to do.

·
Registered
888 Posts
I've done this recently too, although so far only with Amazon titles. I also stick a "If you enjoyed this, you might also enjoy..." followed by a blurb and a direct link for another of my stories in a similar niche.
I'll probably update my whole catalogue every couple of months or so with new links.

You want to cut out as many steps as possible between your readers finishing one of your stories and clicking the "buy" button on the next. Well, in my genre at least. I'm in the business of fast-food erotica that my readers can consume in one sitting.

If you have a gazillion short titles out I think this is a very, very worthwhile thing to do. If you only have a few novels though an interested reader is probably much more likely to put in the extra effort to do some googling on their own.

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
I do.

I actually wrote a shell script that will automatically replace placeholder links with individual links so that I can have individualized files for Kobo, B&N, Apple, and Amazon.

It works like this:

(In the book html file):

(In the file "English-amazon"):

declare -a TOREPLACE
declare -a REPLACEWITH

TOREPLACE[0]="LINKTOUNVEILED"
REPLACEWITH[0]="http://www.amazon.com/Unveiled-Hqn-ebook/dp/B004JF681C/"
Similar files for English-kobo, English-nook, etc.

Then in the shell script itself:

echo "....Generating Amazon links..."
#Read Amazon Links:

. /Users/charybdis/Dropbox/AutomateHTML/${LANGUAGE}-amazon
cp ${WORKING_FILE_NAME}-constructed.html ${WORKING_FILE_NAME}-amazon.html
echo "....Generating Amazon links..."
#Read Amazon Links:

. /Users/charybdis/Dropbox/AutomateHTML/${LANGUAGE}-amazon
cp ${WORKING_FILE_NAME}-constructed.html ${WORKING_FILE_NAME}-amazon.html

count=0
while [ "x${TOREPLACE[count]}" != "x" ]
do
replaceholder=${TOREPLACE[count]}
replacewithholder=${REPLACEWITH[count]}
replacewithholder=${replacewithholder////\\/}
sed -i '' -e "s/$replaceholder/$replacewithholder/g" ${WORKING_FILE_NAME}-amazon.html
count=$(( $count + 1 ))
done

unset TOREPLACE
unset REPLACEWITH

count=0
while [ "x${TOREPLACE[count]}" != "x" ]
do
replaceholder=${TOREPLACE[count]}
replacewithholder=${REPLACEWITH[count]}
replacewithholder=${replacewithholder////\\/}
sed -i '' -e "s/$replaceholder/$replacewithholder/g" ${WORKING_FILE_NAME}-amazon.html
count=$(( $count + 1 ))
done

unset TOREPLACE
unset REPLACEWITH
It's a pain to set up, but once it's up, I can copy and paste a handful of links, edit one file, and then regenerate files for all my books that have an updated, linked book list at the back. So much easier than doing it by hand for every book and then going back and adding it in.

·
Registered
8,104 Posts
Aaron Pogue said:
I do an Also By Aaron Pogue page in all my books (and Also By pages for my other authors in all the books I publish). It was definitely a pain to do it by hand, but now that it's automated, it's an incredible resource.
This. They're more likely to click if the link is right there.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts