That's it. Thanks.
For anybody interested: you can just enter all of your timeline from your manuskript into a spreadsheet like excel and google doc. To keep the order from the manuscript, add a counting number in front of it so that when you sort by that column, you see how it appears in your book.RockWhitehouse said:I've used Excel for the timeline for the last two books. Lots of date arithmetic and sorting macros.
Note cards work, too.
Thanks writer. Yeah, I didn't think it had it (I went through the whole long form intro). Thanks for the tips.unkownwriter said:I don't think it has that capability. I've seen other authors talk about using different programs for timelines, you might research some of the threads there from a year or so back. They were titled something like "ultimate Scrivener threads" or similar. Search through the web, not the search here. Just add kboards at the end and you should get the relevant threads.
Thanks Shayne. I looked at Aeon Timeline and that seems like too much. I'll try the coloring in the corkboard.ShayneRutherford said:You can do something of an outline with the corkboard. You go down to the bottom and select the little icon that, when you hover over it, says Arrange By Label. Each label color gets it's own line.
If you want something more robust, you could always try Aeon Timeline. It's hardcore.
Thanks Nicole. Wow, you've really got a nice system. I will check it out.Nicole Simon said:For anybody interested: you can just enter all of your timeline from your manuskript into a spreadsheet like excel and google doc. To keep the order from the manuscript, add a counting number in front of it so that when you sort by that column, you see how it appears in your book.
Them you can sort also by date - it is a nifty feature.
Depending on your needs there are a few formulas in spreadsheet to help you with sorting and filtering. What many may not know: if you enter something as a date, you can use the autofilter to filter more down.
in this example, only the date was entered, everything else is just the built in formulas. You can do many more things with them, but in this example google sheets does not like to calculate with dates earlier than 1900. But if you are interested in doing that, you just need a little bit of a workaround.
Instead of a full force formula approach, a spreadsheet is also an easy way just to use the grid for a simple notetaking
Thanks Rock. I've got LibreOffice Calc. I don't need anything nearly as sophisticated as you do, but I'll give it a try.RockWhitehouse said:My spreadsheet is similar to Nichole's but allows dependencies (event y comes after event x), delays (wait -this time- after x ends to start), and duration (y takes -this-much- time).
This is all very user-specific custom stuff, with an Excel macro for sorting. but I needed it badly. In my books, with multiple planets and ships going every which way, this was the only way to keep the scenes/events in the correct chronological order.
Excel (or Libre Office Calc, I would think) makes a great outline tool as well. Enter a new event with a date. Re-sort. Repeat.
It's simpler than it sounds, I think. Just more columns. It grew somewhat by accretion as I realized I needed more ability to adjust the timeline. Add this, then that, oh, yeah, so now I can...Gregg Bell said:I don't need anything nearly as sophisticated as you do, but I'll give it a try.
Thanks Rock. Well, at least I won't have any problems with scope creep.RockWhitehouse said:It's simpler than it sounds, I think. Just more columns. It grew somewhat by accretion as I realized I needed more ability to adjust the timeline. Add this, then that, oh, yeah, so now I can...
When I was in software the polite term was scope creep.
I actually have a big corkboard. lol But that's too easy. (I think.)unkownwriter said:No problem. The last timeline I did was on a big piece of paper. It worked okay, wasn't that complicated. I've forgotten just about everything I knew about Excel, so I likely wouldn't get too far with it.
Thanks jaglionpress. Interesting combination.jaglionpress said:The last timeline I did, started out in Excel, then I numbered the scenes #1-#90 (or whatever the final entry count was), copy-pasted to Word, then did that thing in Scrivener where you import a document but tell it to split the document wherever a particular symbol (# in this case) shows up. I had to go through and clean it up a bit (adding POV character tags and copy-pasting the scene summaries from the main document areas to the metadata area). Extra work, but I felt like I ended up with the best of both worlds: Excel's organizational abilities and Scrivener's ability to keep my reference materials close at hand.