Kindle Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I mean like 10,000 word stories as their own standalone? And does anyone even buy them? Because I can't recall where on here but somewhere in the last few days someone had a 10,000 word story in paperback at 50 pages (or so) and the thought had never occurred to me that this might be a good idea. For one thing, ordering them yourself will be cheap since there aren't many pages to print. I have a 15,000 story that's being edited at the moment and I'm wondering if a paperback option would be a good idea.

Thoughts KB?

·
Registered
613 Posts
There are a few small press outlets that are often interested in that sort of thing.  They typically publish them as chapbooks and they make neat little collectors items.  They are few and far between, but it's worth looking into.

If it's self publishing you're talking about, I think it's always a good idea to have anything you have available in print also out there in print form.

·
Registered
871 Posts
I don't write short stories, but I have published four to six 4000- to 7000-word essays as small collections (21,000 to 28,000 words per essay), but these were for a specific television program in the middle of the season, and I priced them at 99 cents each.  I don't think I'd offer anything shorter than 20,000 words, even for just 99 cents.  I think some people would feel cheated if they received less than a certain amount of reading time for their money.

·
Registered
1,809 Posts
Pearson Moore said:
I don't think I'd offer anything shorter than 20,000 words, even for just 99 cents. I think some people would feel cheated if they received less than a certain amount of reading time for their money.
That's why labelling your product is important. Let the reader know what they're buying before they hit the "buy" button. It's just fair business practice.

You should always let them know what they're getting for their money.

Personally, I'd much rather spend 99c on a short story that left a mark on me than an 80,000 word novel that was cr*ppy.

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
RonnellDPorter said:
I mean like 10,000 word stories as their own standalone? And does anyone even buy them? Because I can't recall where on here but somewhere in the last few days someone had a 10,000 word story in paperback at 50 pages (or so) and the thought had never occurred to me that this might be a good idea. For one thing, ordering them yourself will be cheap since there aren't many pages to print. I have a 15,000 story that's being edited at the moment and I'm wondering if a paperback option would be a good idea.

Thoughts KB?
Nope. Haven't even looked into it, to be honest. I just assumed that print and delivery costs would make them too expensive per-word compared to a standard paperback. *ponder* I could well be wrong, there. I tend to think along Australian terms for this sort of thing, where everything physically published is too expensive. :)

·
Registered
12,233 Posts
After I finish the first three Accomplished novelettes I plan to put them into a print collection and make it available on Amazon. It's mostly self-indulgence on my part. I'd like a physical copy on my bookshelf and I've got some friends and relatives who don't do ebooks. Besides, I feel it makes sense to do print for people who only shop for print, bundles for readers on the look-out for those, etc.

The print collection will only be 50,000 - 60,000 words long, so it should be affordable enough to print that I can price it reasonably, yet it'll be long enough to be printed as a trade sized paperback, rather than a chapbook. I think. I haven't actually looked into this part real closely yet, since I'm awhile away from needing to worry about it.

Then too, everything depends on how my sales hold up.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts