Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
...book covers?

Hi everyone-- this is a great community and resource.  I was an early Sony Reader user, had a K1 and am waiting for my K2.  Came here when I wondered, "are there any nicer covers for Kindle than the one I have.....?"-- little did I know!  You guys are terrific.

Anyway-- I still love paper books.  Love them.  And one reason is that I covet covers.  I'm fascinated by jacket designs and the process that authors, designers and publishers use to make them.  I have been sucked in many a time by a purty dust jacket.  I have been swayed more than once because of a cool cover.  I do miss them using my Kindle.  Anyone else?

And because I love paper books so much, I also (ducking for cover) hate hate hate the term "Dead Tree Book".  It seems kind of derisive and mocking to me.  I can see why some of you use it; you really can't call a paper book a "real" book anymore.  But I still don't think I'll ever get used to using DTB as a name for those heavy, clunky, space-eating, expensive things I still love!

Thanks for all the of great info here.  It's been wonderful!  (and addicting).

Jaylynn
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
723 Posts
I also miss album covers also.
Nice and large!

I will also be in your minority... I really don't like and don't use the term DTBs.

Nice to meet ya!
Eric

 

·
Registered
Joined
·
193 Posts
most ebook forums call them pbooks. Ive only seen dtb used here. I find it halarious that they call em dtbs but celebrate using animal skin to cover their kindles lol.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
788 Posts
I think the term Dead Tree Book just came out of a desire to have a different term for books that are not yet available for the Kindle. Paper is made from dead trees, it's sort of a logical step in my opinion, and I've never considered it to be a mocking or derisive.

As for book covers...I'm completely opposite. For some reason I've always liked the way the books looked once you removed the sleeve covering them. Sort of a classic clean look as opposed to a busy artistic one.

But that's just me, your mileage may vary, etc.

Welcome to Kindle Boards, you should introduce yourself in the Introductions & Welcomes forum.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,340 Posts
I like covers a lot, but it is far overshadowed by the advantages of the Kindle. By the way most of the ebooks I buy have the covers included, although in greyscale they lose a lot.

Steve
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
723 Posts
Benjamin said:
most ebook forums call them pbooks. Ive only seen dtb used here. I find it halarious that they call em dtbs but celebrate using animal skin to cover their kindles lol.
I call them "hard copy".

Good point about leather...
I do use leather and I do eat meat.

But I do appreciate the irony.
And I do have my own personal limits...

Eric
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,848 Posts
I agree with Mikuto.  I have always thought the term DTB was used here to distinguish the difference between a paper book, paperback or hardback, and an electronic version.  I believe a large majority of us are still purchasing books in forms other than electronic. 

What I miss are bookmarks.  I have often used greeting cards, and my most recent bookmark is an envelope for my last birthday card that my grandson addressed to me.  I packed the card away, but I still carry the envelope. 
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
921 Posts
ROFL I'm so glad I'm not the only one who misses bookmarks!

We love to travel, and the thing I *collect* when traveling is bookmarks :)  They're cheap, easy to find, come in a wide and unique variety, and don't take up much space.  I now have this wonderful bookmark collection going to waste...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
921 Posts
I have seen the term DTB on here and didn't know what that meant.  LOL  I knew if I hung around long enough it would show it's face sooner or later.  I must admit I'm not always up on all these abbreviations.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
723 Posts
JetJammer said:
ROFL I'm so glad I'm not the only one who misses bookmarks!

We love to travel, and the thing I *collect* when traveling is bookmarks :) They're cheap, easy to find, come in a wide and unique variety, and don't take up much space.
May I say...

NEAT!


Eric
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well, hi everyone!

Eric!  Album covers!!  Love them too.  My kids think they're the strangest thing ever.  There's no art like some of those old covers...!

And bookmarks!  Love them too.  I use some old photos of my kids and they make me smile whenever I see them. 

I know people don't mean anything bad by the term DTB. I just don't love it, myself.  pbooks, I like.

I did post an intro in the Welcome forum. 
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,848 Posts
JetJammer said:
ROFL I'm so glad I'm not the only one who misses bookmarks!

We love to travel, and the thing I *collect* when traveling is bookmarks :) They're cheap, easy to find, come in a wide and unique variety, and don't take up much space. I now have this wonderful bookmark collection going to waste...
I have a very pretty white serving tray that I keep in my living room. I got a piece of glass cut for it and I place my special greeting cards, pics, etc. under the glass. I change them out every so often.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
599 Posts
Benjamin said:
most ebook forums call them pbooks. Ive only seen dtb used here. I find it halarious that they call em dtbs but celebrate using animal skin to cover their kindles lol.
Lol, not me! I use the term DTBs but I'm a vegetarian and abstain from leather.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,163 Posts
I miss bookmarks, too. Used to make my own with pressed leaves and random pictures I'd cut out. Also used my old report cards as bookmarks....sort of a reminder that said: "aren't you supposed to me working on something else?"
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,848 Posts
Encender Vaquero said:
This is an educational thread! I always thought pbooks were urology texts.
LOL!!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,879 Posts
drenee said:
I agree with Mikuto. I have always thought the term DTB was used here to distinguish the difference between a paper book, paperback or hardback, and an electronic version. I believe a large majority of us are still purchasing books in forms other than electronic.

What I miss are bookmarks. I have often used greeting cards, and my most recent bookmark is an envelope for my last birthday card that my grandson addressed to me. I packed the card away, but I still carry the envelope.
I miss bookmarks, too! I have to confess that I have been guilty of purchasing several bookmarks since I bought my Kindle... I have no idea what I am going to to with them, but they were so pretty I couldn't resist!! :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,384 Posts
Oh I miss bookmarks too!!  :( I bought a book mark almost every time I went to a book store. I never used them all but they are so pretty, makes a nice, inexpensive gift also... or used to.  ???
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
723 Posts
Linda Cannon-Mott said:
Oh I miss bookmarks too!! :( I bought a book mark almost every time I went to a book store. I never used them all but they are so pretty, makes a nice, inexpensive gift also... or used to. ???
I may start collecting...

Eric
 
1 - 20 of 46 Posts
Top