Kindle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was laying in bed the other night with the nightstand light on reading on the Paperwhite with the light low and thought "Hmm, let's see what it looks like in the dark" so I turned out the light, upped the lighting to 12 and just had the most fun time every reading in a pitch black room. It reminded me of being a little kid in the closet with a flashlight. I've done it every night this week and it's been such a blast. I just cannot wait until springtime now. I would always sit out on the balcony after dark reading with a booklight and look so forward to doing this with the PW.

Anyone else read in the dark?

·
Registered
649 Posts
I have, but I prefer to have a light on. Even though it's not a backlit screen, I still find it irritating to read it in the dark...

·
Registered
338 Posts
I have as well - usually when my husband is trying to sleep and I want to read, but I prefer some ambient light. When it is completely dark, the lighted screen has a blueish tint. In full sunlight, it looks like the standard e-ink screen with a grey background. But when there is this perfect balance of ambient light and the right PW light setting, the screen is just perfect with a nice white background that is not too bright - much like quality paper.

·
Super Moderator
67,396 Posts
Only when the Hubs wants to sleep and I have to finish a chapter. :D  That actually doesn't happen all that often because I usually go to bed before him and I'm long asleep by the time he comes up.

·
Registered
267 Posts
I get up very early and usually reach for my Kindle first. I like reading in the dark. The PW makes it so much easier, not having to fumble around trying to find a book light.

·
Registered
5,481 Posts
cleee said:
I was laying in bed the other night with the nightstand light on reading on the Paperwhite with the light low and thought "Hmm, let's see what it looks like in the dark" so I turned out the light, upped the lighting to 12 and just had the most fun time every reading in a pitch black room. It reminded me of being a little kid in the closet with a flashlight. I've done it every night this week and it's been such a blast. I just cannot wait until springtime now. I would always sit out on the balcony after dark reading with a booklight and look so forward to doing this with the PW.

Anyone else read in the dark?
I read in the dark more than I did with my previous Kindles. The built-in light allows me to read in the dark without the eye strain that I used to have with clip-on lights. By the way, the Paperwhite information on Amazon actually suggests using a LOWER setting (for some, around 4 or 5) in the dark because less light is needed for the screen to be seen comfortably. Higher levels (mid-teens and higher) are suggested in well-lit situations. It seems counterintuitive to me, but seems to work. The bottom line, of course, is to use whatever setting works best for each of us.

·
Registered
874 Posts
I read in the dark.  I don't have a PW, but I don't mind using my mighty bright...or sometimes my iPad.  It kind of helps me to drift on to sleep, and in away feels like a lot of the distractions are closed off.  It's just me and the book...

Tris

·
Premium Member
63,460 Posts
All the time.  Between my Paperwhite, my Fire and my iPad.  I pick up whatever is handy.  Speaking of feeling like a kid, I'll put the Fire or the iPad under the covers to use so as to not bother the hubby; the PW I don't need to.

Betsy

·
Registered
89 Posts
Every night! :)  I love reading at bedtime unless I'm really, really tired.  And even then, I try to read anyway and sometimes end up bonking myself on the head with either my iPad or Kindle Fire as I'm falling asleep, LOL!

·
Registered
3,016 Posts
I don't really have the need, so I read with the light on.  I like to put the Fire on the charger and then turn off the light, then start my Fitbit on sleep mode.  And I'm starting on CPAP so we will see where that fits into the routine; luckily my eyes are very different so one works for reading without my glasses.n

·
Registered
9,650 Posts
I've been known to lay in bed and read in the dark, but it is not a usual thing.  For my normal reading in my recliner I now seldom turn on the big reading lamp I used with paper books and earlier Kindles, but I have other lights in the room.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Seamonkey said:
I don't really have the need, so I read with the light on. I like to put the Fire on the charger and then turn off the light, then start my Fitbit on sleep mode. And I'm starting on CPAP so we will see where that fits into the routine; luckily my eyes are very different so one works for reading without my glasses.n
Side convo: I love my CPAP. I can wear my eyeglasses with the mask but I usually just wait to put it on when I am done reading. Amazon has a really neat hose holder that keeps the hose up so there isn't as much hose drag when you turn over. I got mine first then I had to get one for the Hubs. My dad got one after I told him about it and he likes it too. I will try to find a link. Mine was around $10 but it seemed that the price increased some for the others.

Edited to add link: It's only $11.40 and so worth it. I should get another for when I travel.
http://www.amazon.com/North-American-Healthcare-JB5651-Holder/dp/B0034CHMRU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1358940389&sr=8-1&keywords=cpap+hose+holder

·
Registered
568 Posts
I do all the time as well.

I don't have the Paperwhite, but I do have the M-Edge case+light for my K3, which works well (I just have to adjust the light for glare). I'll also read on my Nexus 7, turning the background either to sepia or black with white letters.

The sad thing about reading in the dark is that I lose all track of time. Unless I get to the end of a book, I might sit there and read until way late into the night (although I haven't kept on reading until the sun came up - at least not yet).

·
Registered
3,209 Posts
Occasionally.  Usually if my girlfriend is over and sleeping earlier than me.  Otherwise I mostly read in the bed with a lamp on.

I love my Paperwhite as it's perfect in both scenarios (and brighter lighting).  Usually have the light on 15 with the lamp on, and around 8 if in the dark.  All the way up if reading in sunlight or bright fluorescent lighting.

·
Registered
904 Posts
It was the first thing I did when I got mine.  Closed the blinds, closed the doors, killed the lamps, and got under the blankets to recreate those times where I'd try to read my Goosebumps books at night with a penlight....except now I've got a Paperwhite. 

The wife said it was a sad display and that I should act my age. 

·
Registered
787 Posts
I read in the dark every night. I love it! I use the light between 0-2 generally. What's nice is when I start to get really sleepy, I don't have to reach over and turn off the light. I just set my PW down on my nightstand. :)

·
Registered
765 Posts
I love reading in the dark. I usually have my Fire set to white text on a black background, and the brightness as far down as it will go. It lets me read as long as I want without disturbing hubby's sleep.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts