Kindle Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have used the site off and on for many years but my last experience was disappointing. I cleaned out my garden shed and posted many items including a complete patio set with umbrella and lights and a large fountain. I arranged pick up for 7 items and not one of the original people showed up.  Normally, I just leave the item in the front the day of pick up and the person just picks it up. This last time my front yard looked like I was having a garage sale with all the items waiting pick up!

Has anyone else had this experience?

·
Registered
701 Posts
Sadly, that seems to be common on freecycle but it also depends on your area. I used to live in TN and in that area, it often looked like a garage sale down by our curb. Now, I post I have something and that it is down at the curb. I will not hold things and first person here gets it. At the end of the day, I pick it up and off we go to Goodwill (if it is something that can be donated)

It is very annoying to be giving something to a person, arrange to be there so they can pick it up and then have them not show up.

Have you tried posting on Craigslist? I prefer freecycle but sometimes I get better response from craigslist.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Our freecycle group doesn't allow for curb alerts, so I do those through cragislist. Only once have I been unable to get rid of something (baby hangers, good ones from target), for some reason I had a ton of responses but not one single person showed up. :shrug: Thankfully my SIL stopped by and needed them for my niece, so they still got reused. It can be frustrating sometimes, but I'd still rather do that then toss it in the trash.

·
Registered
8,913 Posts
I have had the same experience with Craigslist many times.... doesn't matter if the stuff is free, or just cheap, it takes me three tries to get rid of anything.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What skeeves me out is that these are people I gave my address to and then I never hear from them again.

Last night I posted an offer for perennials as i am redoing one of my flower beds. I met 4 terrific women this morning who came and left with tons of plants...so freecycle may have redeemed itself a bit.

·
Registered
2,566 Posts
I've gotten rid of a ton of stuff on Freecycle. Big stuff, too, like a sofa and a pool table.

When I use Craig's list, though, I never offer it for free. Even a token payment helps to weed out some of the whackos.

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
Free I give to Goodwill.  If I want some money for something I use Craigslist.  I have sold everything I have put on there and usually within a few hours.

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
That's funny.  I know my friends who live in Dallas say that they put out stuff for bulk trash collection and it doesn't even last until the truck comes by.  On the other hand, I live on a cul-de-sac in the burbs, so we don't get too many scavengers.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts