Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm just wonder how the formatting is for this book. It has great reviews for no one seems to be talking about how it looks on a Kindle. Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
190 Posts
You can have a sample sent to your Kindle.  I just did, thanks for bringing it to my attention.

·
Registered
8,913 Posts
Couldn't tell you about the format, but I have this DTB, and the recipes are wonderful.... If you check out the accompanying website, they often list new recipes to make based on the ones in the book. My favorite uses of the different doughs are pizza crusts and English muffins....

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
I love the DTB -- hmmm I'm always looking for the book when I want to try a new recipe - like I really want to try the brioche recipe and do the bluberry/lemon curd roll up recipe they had on the blog - it would be quite handy to have it on my Kindle since I usually have that sitting next to me and I would have to try to remember what pile of books the DTB is in  ::)

·
Registered
190 Posts
I have purchased the Kindle edition.  Going to make my first batch of dough today.  The cookbook is formatted just like any other book, pictures are included.  My only complaint is the Index.  It is in very small print and even increasing to the largest font, it is hard to read.  However, I went to look at the hardbound copy on Amazon and there  is the Index under "Look Inside".  I am working on trying to print the Index so I can refer to it whenever I am looking for a particular recipe.  Wish me luck on my first attempt to make this bread!

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the update!  I'll probably buy it, along with a diet book to offset the calories :)

·
Registered
190 Posts
Well, here's my update. I have baked three loaves in three days and each is better than the last.  Went out today and bought the pizza peel since I plan on continuing baking my own instead of store bought. I do however make 1/2 lb loaves rather than a full lb. Have our son, DIL and granddaughters coming for a week long visit soon and I plan on wowing them with homebaked breads and goodies from this cookbook.  Thank you for posting this book!  Being transplants from San Francisco, Calif. this is the closest I have come to the original sourdough. I highly recommend this cookbook .

·
Registered
9,932 Posts
This one is fine as a DTV cookbook, but not being able to browse recipes as easily on Kindle (a few pages back and forth, or holding one page open while checking another) makes me think that cookbooks and Kindle are not a match made in heaven unless one is strictly looking at one recipe at a time, not comparing or combining them.

It would be great if someone could prove me wrong....  but for now I'll stick to my DT collection of cookbooks.

·
Registered
8,913 Posts
You must try the English Muffin recipe... You need to get English Muffin molds, which are essentially biscuit molds..... I use a sheet of parchment paper vs. the silpat, and I use butter to grease the molds (I tried olive oil once and they got stuck). You can use most any of the recipes, but the basic dough recipe works fine and is the one I have always used....After I halve the muffins, I put the one I will eat under the broiler to crisp a little. I halve the rest that I won't eat right away, and keep them in the fridge, and put them under the broiler to crisp/warm them. They keep for several days.

This is from the website:

Grease the molds with oil or butter and set them on a cookie sheet lined with a silpat. Sprinkle the inside of the mold with a light layer of cornmeal.

If you have a kitchen scale weigh out 3 1/2-ounce balls of dough (about the size of a small plum) flatten them and place them in the mold.

Loosely cover with wrap if your kitchen is very dry or drafty.

Preheat oven to 425° with or without baking stone. (adjust the temperature if you are using a different dough, follow the temperature in the book for that dough.)

Allow to rest until the dough reaches the top of the mold, about 30 minutes.  (More time if you are using whole wheat dough.)

Bake for about 20 minutes. Do not use steam or you’ll end up with a crisp crust, which is not traditional for English muffins.

Unmold the muffins and serve warm!

Use a fork to halve each muffin to get the "nooks & crannies."

·
Registered
9,932 Posts
pidgeon92 said:
You need to get English Muffin molds, which are essentially biscuit molds.....
I have those round thingies for fried eggs; do you think those would work, if placed on a lined cookie sheet? The size is about the same as store-bought English muffins.

·
Registered
8,913 Posts
I don't think it makes any difference.... They get about an inch tall, so if the molds you use are short, you may end up with muffin tops...  ;D

One thing I should mention is that they will get rounded on the top if you don't have something on top to keep them flat. I put another heavy cooked sheet on top when I put them in the oven.....

I love them.... I never bought English Muffins, but now I make them all the time.... I have 6 in the fridge right now; lately I eat one every day for lunch. I take a brick of cream cheese and chop fresh chives into it and mix well and keep that in the fridge for the muffins. Then I usually have a little lunch meat as well; salami, or pastrami or turkey.

·
Registered
9,932 Posts
pidgeon92 said:
I never bought English Muffins, but now I make them all the time....
They make great mini-pizzas too, if you have a couple of tablespoons of leftover tomato sauce. That, and two or three slices of pepperoni or whatever leftovers would work on a pizza, and the cheese of your choice, and five minutes in a hot oven....

·
Registered
8,913 Posts
You bet.... and I make pizza once a week using the doughs from the book as well. I stretch the dough out (or roll it) on a pizza peel with some cornmeal on it, cook it on the stone for several minutes til it browns.... Then I add my toppings, put it back in until the cheese browns....

We put all sorts of stuff on pizza... Whatever kind of sausage or veggies are around, they go on the pizza at the end of the week. I use olive oil as a base, or often a roasted pepper sauce that I freeze into cubes.

·
Registered
9,932 Posts
pidgeon92 said:
We put all sorts of stuff on pizza... Whatever kind of sausage or veggies are around, they go on the pizza at the end of the week. I use olive oil as a base, or often a roasted pepper sauce that I freeze into cubes.
I freeze my tomato sauce into cubes as well, and use it for all sorts of things like adding a little kick to gravies and soups.

But since I don't eat cheese of any kind (yes I know it's weird), my favorite pizza is actually a "Pizza Tonno" -- tomato sauce and tuna (ideally in olive oil), nothing else. And that works really well on English muffins. :D

·
Registered
468 Posts
I have had the DT version of this book for over a year and love it.  As a matter of fact, I made some of the plain old vanilla master recipe bread to go along with our Father's Day dinner today and it was fan-tas-tic!

Maxx

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
I made meatballs and sauce today and have a loaf of bread going in the oven now - we will have meatball subs for dinner tonight while watching more golf or NASCAR lol 

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
beachgrl said:
Well, here's my update. I have baked three loaves in three days and each is better than the last. Went out today and bought the pizza peel since I plan on continuing baking my own instead of store bought. I do however make 1/2 lb loaves rather than a full lb. Have our son, DIL and granddaughters coming for a week long visit soon and I plan on wowing them with homebaked breads and goodies from this cookbook. Thank you for posting this book! Being transplants from San Francisco, Calif. this is the closest I have come to the original sourdough. I highly recommend this cookbook .
Thank you for posting your review! I'm still torn between the DTV and the Kindle version. But its good to know the formatting of the Kindle version isn't messed up.

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
Bought the book and made the bread.  The bread is amazing.  I ate the whole 1 pound loaf yesterday and I'm trying not to make another one today because I know I'll eat it. Going to a friend's for dinner on Saturday and I'm bringing the bread.  Nobody will believe it was made without kneading the dough or making it in a breadmaker. 
If you don't want to buy the book and just want to try the bread you can google or youtube artisan bread in 5 minutes and try out the basic recipe. 

1 - 20 of 49 Posts