Kindle Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
"The New York Times Company and Washington Post Company plan to launch pilots with Kindle DX this summer. The New York Times, The Boston Globe and The Washington Post will offer the Kindle DX at a reduced price to readers who live in areas where home-delivery is not available and who sign up for a long-term subscription to the Kindle edition of the newspapers."

My parents are in their 80's. In my youth they took 2 papers a day. Big fat lots of news newspapers. They now live in a little town in a southern state that has an extremely poor excuse for a newspaper. They finish reading it in like 3 minutes. They are not comfortable sitting at a computer reading (I have tried). I saw the above quote in several publications online, but I can find no hard, concrete information on how this is going to work. I. Does anyone know anything about this possibility of getting them a better paper?

Thanks
Ginny

·
Super Moderator
67,319 Posts
I've seen that too Ginny, but I don't think there has been anything further about any special deals. . . .the only additional info I've heard, and I don't even remember where I read it, is the Washington Post will initially try it in the Baltimore area. . .which is silly to me because for all intents and purpoises, Baltimore is the greater DC area.  But whatever!

The subscriptions are, of course, available anyway on a month to month basis. . . .it's just that there's no new info on any DX discount for committing to one for a longer term.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
jgirvine said:
They now live in a little town in a southern state that has an extremely poor excuse for a newspaper. They finish reading it in like 3 minutes.
Hey, are you talking about my town? ;D

My parents live in Cleveland, OH. Everytime they come to visit, my dad makes the comment that you certainly couldn't retire here & expect to spend the morning reading the paper.

·
Registered
626 Posts
I'm not sure what further information they would need or how much they would gain with a "discounted price". Currently the Washington Post and the Boston Globe are $9.99 a month and the NY Times is $13.99. That's with the first two weeks free and no long term commitment.
I am quite near their age bracket and have been thoroughly spoilt by getting my paper via my kindle over the past year and a half. No dirty hands. No flipping through pages to get to the end of a story. No ads. Best of all! No excursions outside to find the paper under a bush particularly on a day like today........... torrential tropical rain.

·
Registered
5,981 Posts
I am waiting on ordering my Mom a DX until the offer comes out. I called and talked to the NY Times people and they told me it was in Amazon's hands. The women at the Times knew exactly what I was talking about and gave me the CS number for Amazon. She sounded like she had been asked this frequently.

When I called Amazon's CS the CS rep knew nothing about the promotion. I asked to speak to a Supervisor, the rep put me on hold. When he returned he said that the business department had not announced the promotion so he had no information about it. He said that it didn't matter that the CEO of the company had announced it when the DX was announced.

I canceled my DX order and in my message said that I would wait until the promotion, announced by Jeff Bezos, was in place. I don't think that the promotion will be announced until the DX stops selling out so it could be a while. They have no monetary incentive to run the promotion right now. They are getting the full price on the DX from lots of folks and I am guessing that many of those folks are buying newspaper subscriptions with them.

·
Registered
5,981 Posts
The subscriptions are suppose to be long term subscriptions (so probably at least a year commitment). Maybe they have data that people try the two week trial and then end the subscription before paying the monthly cost. Maybe they are hoping that people who get the subscription for the year are more likely to get fully adjusted to reading the paper on their Kindle and will continue the subscription. They are probably really hoping that people who get the DX on one the deals will add more then one paper once thy have adjusted to the format.

·
Registered
21,587 Posts
lynninva said:
Hey, are you talking about my town? ;D

My parents live in Cleveland, OH. Everytime they come to visit, my dad makes the comment that you certainly couldn't retire here & expect to spend the morning reading the paper.
Lynn you almost can't blame your parents - the Cleveland Plain Dealer is a great paper for a city that is itself not real newsworthy. I grew up in the metro Cleveland and thought it was the center of the universe until I moved and found out it wasn't. It is a nice city, just to the center of the universe. But it has a great art museum, a great park system, a fabulous library and an award winning daily paper.

I am now spoiled with the Wash Post. But most cities in the land struggle to have a daily paper at all.

Just sayin.....

1 - 9 of 9 Posts