Kindle Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I really wanted to use Ingram Spark but they apparently require a GST number, which I don't have. Would love to have a hardcover made and distributed. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
13,302 Posts
Every legal business that pays creators a share for a product (whether it be books, music, photographs or other art) requires some sort of tax ID *if they offer the option for you to distribute and sell* the book.

If you simply want a single book printed for your own use, there are companies like Blurb, but it sounds like you want to sell the book. Therefore, you're a business and you should apply for the appropriate tax IDs in your country.

·
Registered
716 Posts
I use IS and didn't supply a GST number. Did it explicitly say that they did? We're not required to have one until a certain threshold so I'm not sure why they'd say that.

·
Registered
5,607 Posts
鬼 said:
I use IS and didn't supply a GST number. Did it explicitly say that they did? We're not required to have one until a certain threshold so I'm not sure why they'd say that.
Also, unless we're selling copies out of the back of our car, we shouldn't have to deal with GST at all. GST should be collected at the point of sale, should it not?

I think we do have to supply our SIN or SSN, or whatever personal tax ID number we have, though.

·
Registered
141 Posts
A tax ID is not the same thing as a GST or HST number. If they're asking for a TIN or EIN, they're asking for your SIN. No POD company should be demanding a GST number from you upfront.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Assuming you are Australian, if you are GST registered, you can claim the GST back on all expenses, including printing and at the same time, pay GST on all sales. It's a lot of paperwork.

If your business is small, you pay GST on expenses, but you accept the slight loss to remain unregistered. It saves a heap of paperwork.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sorry it's taken me so long to reply to the above messages. After some emailing and research, I've discovered that Ingram is the only mainstream print-on-demand company that requires a GST number. In Canada, you don't need a GST number for your business unless your business collects over $30,000 dollars in a year. And most indie authors won't make anywhere near that in a year. For that reason, most smart POD companies don't demand a GST number. Including Amazon Createspace. Looks like I'll be going with Blurb for my hardcovers. Cheers.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The IS form you have to fill out requires a GST number now, and I was informed by an IS technician named Octavio that a GST number is required.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Are you sure they are not calling it a GST number - but really asking for your ABN? Payments over $70 already require an ABN or the hobbiest form. I've had to supply it to a few sites.

"You need an Australian Business Number (ABN) to register for GST. Your ABN is part of the GST system and your ABN will be used as your GST registration number. If you don't have an ABN and are registering for one, you can use the same online form to apply for tax registrations during the application process." Dec 17, 2018, Department of Industry, Innovation and Science

https://www.business.gov.au/registrations/register-for-taxes/register-for-goods-and-services-tax-gst

I'm pretty sure Blurb would ask for ABN or TFN too.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Cecelia, I'm not in Australia and as far as I know I don't require that. Certainly not with Amazon Createspace.

·
Registered
297 Posts
When I signed up with Create space, I had to do their tax interview form.  Pretty sure the same with Kindle Direct Publishing.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
To update everyone in Canada: I've pushed ahead with Ingram Spark without providing a GST number. We'll see what happens.
I'll let everyone know if I succeed.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts