Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
860 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It seems fine to me.  I've shaken it with my Kindle in it and it doesn't seem like it will fall out and when it's closed with the elastic it seems well protected.  It's not the most beautiful thing in the world but it seems to function well and I'm a basic black kinda gal - until I get bored and want something in red, purple, blue green or sparkles.  ;D  Is there a cover with sparkles on it?  :eek:

·
Registered
102 Posts
I have my Kindle in the original cover and so does my daughter and dad.  I pulled the elastic band around to the lower right corner for a little extra stability.

Just a couple of months ago, I added a decalgirl skin (whimsical) and I think the combination with the original cover is great.  I really like the little padded section that goes over the screen.

When mine wears out (and it is looking like it will sooner rather than later) - then I will probably look into an Oberon or M-edge.  The lower left corner of my cover is looking pretty worn and the stitching is coming loose in a couple of the worn places - but then, I have had mine for over a year.

·
Registered
860 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your response, Susan.  Maybe I should start looking at skins but then Mr. KM might be embarrassed to use it.  Hey!  That may not be a bad idea.

Another question...

When you're reading do you fold back the front cover and secure it with the elastic?  At first I was afraid to "break in" the cover and didn't do this but walked in on Mr. KM using it just like that.  So I guess it's okay... ;)

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
Hi KindleMom,

I fold mine back and use the elastic to hold it. Seems to be holding up fine. Then again I've barely had my kindle a month and the amount I read it may get permanently stuck that way  ;D but I do think they made it flexible enough so that it can be held this way.

Happy kindleing

theresam

·
Registered
102 Posts
KindleMom said:
Another question...

When you're reading do you fold back the front cover and secure it with the elastic? At first I was afraid to "break in" the cover and didn't do this but walked in on Mr. KM using it just like that. So I guess it's okay... ;)
Yes - I fold my cover back and leave it like that most of the time when it is out of my purse. My method for reading is to put my right index finger inside the folded back section and then use my right thumb to turn the pages. It is harder to write the description - but it is very comfortable to me. I leave the elastic band around the lower right corner all the time. When I close the cover to put it in my purse, I don't use the elastic, I just close it.

I hope that made sense.

·
Registered
163 Posts
I've used the original cover for about 6 months and I've liked it just fine.  I just got an Oberon that I am very happy with and in which the Kindle seems more secure by comparison.  This is my 2nd Kindle, a replacement for my first that malfunctioned, and I liked the old cover that came with the first better than the one that came with the 2nd. So there seems to be some variability amongst the original covers.  I just kept the first original cover with the new one when I sent back the old one.  A caution for new owners:  there will be times when the little tab thingy will suddenly pop loose unannounced.  This happens to mine somewhat often enough to be very careful when transporting it.  I also used the elastic looped over the upper right corner to make it more secure and transported it in a closeable sleeve-type case.

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
I had no problems with the original cover and liked it just fine.  I now have the oberon world tree cover because of the beauty of it not because the original wasn't functional.

·
Registered
4,893 Posts
Same here as Cowgirl above 'cept I got Avenue of Trees Oberon cover.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
I got rid of mine the day I got it.. I ordered the Medge the same day I ordered my Kindle.. I was glad I did.. it arrived before the Kindle but the black one hit the trash when I got my Kindle.. I have three of the Medge now but two of the Oberons which I love and then five from strangedog which I also find terrific but they are hard to obtain due to the schedule. 

Right now, for me the Oberon is fantastic.. gorgeous pieces of art.. add that to the skins of decalgirl and  well its unique and special!

·
Registered
383 Posts
Had my kindle since May and I like the original cover just fine.
I did add a small velcro dot on the lower corner just to keep it a bit more secure.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
I use the  original black cover it came in for everyday and the Oberon when I go out.  I Velcro the Kindle in the original black cover when it fell out.

·
Registered
300 Posts
I also am still using the original cover. But I do want a new blue cover, just haven't decided which one yet.
Bella does have a pretty little skin that makes her very easy on the eye to look at. Some of the guys here on the board seem to think we ladies think of our Kindles as "Barbie dolls" and we like to dress them up.

I have no problem with that..............  Yes I like to dress my Kindle up so she can be an individual.  ;D

I

·
0 Posts
I like my cover just fine.  I cant see spending $45.00-$75.00 for something I don't really need.  The cover I have serves it's purpose well enough.

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
I like the design for reading, it seems to have good places for my hands to hold or slide between. However not matter how well latched my Kindle is to the case, my Kindle falls out. My boyfriend's also falls out, much more often than mine. (He lays on his back and holds the Kindle above his head to read.) So they have both been Velcroed. The faux leather is starting to lose the top leather look layer in a couple of places, and the napped gray interior has some areas that are going bald. I think it had the potential to be a great case, but someone took too many shortcuts with the construction. 

·
Registered
22 Posts
I've had my Kindle since late August and I've never had problems with the original cover. No velcro or any other "improvements" were needed for me. Guess I was lucky.  ;D

I bought the Tree of Life as a Christmas present to myself. Already I've saved myself over $50 with free book downloads, so I figured it wasn't a big deal to splurge on a cover. "Olivia" and I are worth it.  ;)

I'll keep the original cover as a back-up for when I need those extra millimeters to fit Olivia in a bag, but I love the look of my Oberon cover.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
lol not me vamp

I am an accessory girl.. I like many covers, skins, bags shoes you name it,,l depends on my mood and I like to coordinate my office stuff, the contents of my handbag.. everything coordinates (I don't do the matching thing too often except my laptop which matches the same color Burgundy leather bag has...

I didn't realize people really took note (I do this for me) until I was at a client meeting recently and a male client who hired me several months ago mentioned that he loved the fact that everytime I pulled out a notepad or folder everything seemed to go together (and depending on the meeting it was not always the same set) .. He then told me it was one of the reasons he hired me to handle his PR.. he noted I had an attention to detail right down to my pens when we interviewed.. so in my work (I own a public relations company) the "accessories" came in handy.. who knew! He is the reason I hope to stay in Oberon's for a while.. LOL

·
Registered
731 Posts
I like the original cover. No Velcro, no alterations, no funny way of using the elastic to "hook" it in. Mine works exactly as intended. After hanging around here and Amazon since August, I've concluded that I am one of the lucky few; something's wrong with almost everyone else's cover.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts