Kindle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if anyone has used BooksOnBoard.com to buy Mobipocket format books for the Kindle.  It sounds like they use the DRM version, so I wondered if anyone has created their Kindle PID with kindlepid.py, and used kindlefix.py to fix the file so that the Kindle can read it.

Most of the books seem to be available through Amazon, but just in case they have something I want, and can't find anywhere else, before I mess around with it, I thought I'd ask if anyone has been using it.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Ive seen people talk bout doing that at mobileread.com but ive never had any first hand experience with it myself.

·
Registered
615 Posts
SusanCassidy said:
I was wondering if anyone has used BooksOnBoard.com to buy Mobipocket format books for the Kindle. It sounds like they use the DRM version, so I wondered if anyone has created their Kindle PID with kindlepid.py, and used kindlefix.py to fix the file so that the Kindle can read it.

Most of the books seem to be available through Amazon, but just in case they have something I want, and can't find anywhere else, before I mess around with it, I thought I'd ask if anyone has been using it.
Susan, someone replying to my post re the text-to-speech demo said she uses BooksOnBoard and the Amazon voice is MUCH more natural and that the other doesn't observe pauses and is monotonish.

But I'm replying about the read-to-user comparison rather than the experience of those reading with their eyes.

·
Registered
913 Posts
SusanCassidy said:
I was wondering if anyone has used BooksOnBoard.com to buy Mobipocket format books for the Kindle. It sounds like they use the DRM version, so I wondered if anyone has created their Kindle PID with kindlepid.py, and used kindlefix.py to fix the file so that the Kindle can read it.

Yes I have purchased from Books on Board several times as there were certain books that I wanted that were either better priced on BoB (go figure) than Amazon, or it just wasn't on Amazon. I am using kindlefix.py to convert the book into a format that I can read on the Kindle and to date have had no problem with this. Using this utility has opened up a whole other channel by which I can purchase books outside of the Amazon world. And as Melissa pointed out, I am also using this to get ebooks from the library.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts