Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi.

Is anyone else doing, or interested in doing tags on their K2?  I tagged all my books four days ago, and it works very nicely, since K2's search function is much faster than K1's, and both the addition of notes and searching is easier, too.

If anyone cares I'm willing to share what I've learned so far.

Also I'm interested to hear what others have experienced and what ideas they have for useful tags.

lg

·
Registered
213 Posts
I'm interested in doing this.  Did you just create a note with the tag or tags you wanted to attach to each book?  I hadn't thought of that but can see how it would work - it'd have to be a coded tag that wouldn't show up in a normal text note, I suppose?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
chiffchaff said:
I'm interested in doing this. Did you just create a note with the tag or tags you wanted to attach to each book? I hadn't thought of that but can see how it would work - it'd have to be a coded tag that wouldn't show up in a normal text note, I suppose?
1. Yes. Open each book to the "beginning" and then create a note and put all the tags in that one note. Try to think of everything, because it's faster to create the initial note than to go back and edit it later Plus, each time you edit a note some reindexing will take place making one or more documents unsearchable.

2.Yes. I do this by prefixing the letter q. For example, my science fiction books are coded qscifi. (that idea stolen from someone on the Amazon forum ~ last August)

Besides genre tags you might want to also tag whether the book is "open" (I use 'qo') or as yet unopened (I use 'qu'), and maybe even completed ('qc', perhaps?).

Keep a list of your tags so you don't forget and use a different tag for the same thing, later.

Here's a pointer to the thread on the Amazon K2 discussion board:

http://www.amazon.com/Solution-categorizing-titles-the-K2/forum/Fx2EGRL42MHF15D/TxDQHZW4MJC3J/1/ref=cm_cd_et_up_redir?_encoding=UTF8&asin=B00154JDAI&newContentNum=11&cdSort=oldest&newContentID=MxR8YJWAVFONLE#Mx32L3BKSECPZUQ

lg

·
Registered
213 Posts
just tried this with about a dozen books and personal docs- works great, thanks! 

I borrowed the idea of using q as a prefix since it's easy to remember, then I used the same bookshelf names I have on GoodReads.com, i.e. genres plus read, to-read and currently-reading (shortened that to qreading).  Added a qwork category for technical docs I've emailed myself and I'm good to go.

·
Registered
126 Posts
So, I take it the K1 does not search the text of the notes, only the K2? (if so, damn that's stupid)

·
Super Moderator
67,245 Posts
I thought the K1 searched everthing on the Kindle. . .seems I've searched before and gotten result from the 'my clippings' book.  But I can't be sure.  When I get time I'll test it out. . .thanks for the hint.

One question though. . .maybe it's obvious to others. . . but, why prefix the tags with "q"?

Thanks,

Ann

·
Registered
455 Posts
Ann Von Hagel said:
I thought the K1 searched everthing on the Kindle. . .seems I've searched before and gotten result from the 'my clippings' book. But I can't be sure. When I get time I'll test it out. . .thanks for the hint.

One question though. . .maybe it's obvious to others. . . but, why prefix the tags with "q"?

Thanks,

Ann
Prefix with "q" so when you type in your search request it doesn't include in the results every "romance" it finds. It will only return results for "qromance" which will be the books you have tagged.

This works great for me. It is taking a little time to go in and add notes to all my books, but once complete it will be easy to keep up.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I forgot to mention serieses (plural of series, lol).  I've tagged books in a series with qs1, qs2, etc., so that when I finally get around to them I'll know what order to read them in.

lg

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well, I'll be! They must have sneaked this into the last firmware update.

Why on Earth would they do this and not hype it?  This could be why I never got an answer to my suggestion to CS that they add this feature to the K1 - they already did.  I feel like an idiot.

Happy tagging!

lg

·
Registered
731 Posts
I think mine has always done this. I know it searched my notes in November when I was trying to find something in Gone For Soldier. Maybe it only found notes in my Clippings file? Hmmm, if I think of any other times I used search last Fall for something not in a book I'll let you know.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Tillamook Bay said:
The K1 also searches notes now!
I tested this last night and it was a constant sea of "not found" when I tried to search for key-text in notes.

·
Super Moderator
67,245 Posts
WolfePrincess73 said:
Prefix with "q" so when you type in your search request it doesn't include in the results every "romance" it finds. It will only return results for "qromance" which will be the books you have tagged.
Ah. . .that makes a ton of sense. . .maybe even two tons. . . I'll have to play on my K1 and see if it works there too. . .

Ann

·
Registered
4,791 Posts
As I noted (ha ha) in the other thread, it does work on K1 according to the Amazon threads (haven't tried it myself), just takes longer to process because of indexing apparently. So you can't search right away like you can in K2, I guess.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I did manage to get it to work with the K1.

K1s seem to have some...shall we say "suboptimal" coding in the indexing department over K2s. I expected some optimization with the K2s, that they'd be maybe 20-25% faster but even at 2x the K2's time, I got nothing on my K1 so I assumed it just didn't search MyClippings.

I found that I had to wait between 60-90 minutes for the K1 to find updates to MyClippings in it's search. I've no idea what the schedule is for updating the index (one would assume it was event driven but...you never know) but I tried out of sleep mode, in sleep mode, post IPL, etc. Nothing I do seems to make it faster than ~60 minutes before new tags are recognized. It's like it doesn't incrementally update the index but completely rebuilds it -- and that scares me a bit about the level of code on the device.

I'm going to take out my SD chip and par down the internal library to 10 pages or so and see if it improves the time.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Just to be clear - your notes exist in some place other than the "My Clippings" file.  You can delete "My Clippings", and your notes will still be there, hidden somewhere.

"My Clippings" seems to be nothing more than a log of every one of your alteration events.  Empty that log all you want; it just starts growing again as you make notes, bookmarks, etc. 

lg

·
Registered
126 Posts
Tillamook Bay said:
Just to be clear - your notes exist in some place other than the "My Clippings" file. You can delete "My Clippings", and your notes will still be there, hidden somewhere.
I guess that's good and bad (I couldn't fathom why they'd store the notes in a flat text file). However, you were supposed to be able to make a note, expound upon it by editing myclippings directly, and have that available in the note. However, as essentially a log file, this wouldn't work; and moreover I tested it and the data feed doesn't appear to be bi-directional (i.e., using an updated myclippings to update the hidden note table) though with a K1 you never know how fast something is supposed to happen.

I'm constantly amazed at how something so simple is made frustratingly complex and intractable when the same or less effort could go into making it streamlined and straight-forward. If they were charging for Kindle Addons to do this tagging-and-bagging I could understand the microsoftian design-underthinking but they aren't and deified flying green goat cheese on a swizzle-stick this is almost punitively designed to dead-end just this side of masochistic.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts