Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was speaking to someone who's wife has a Kindle. He told me his wife downloads anything & everything that is free, and, I was astonished. Free, to me means nothing if I am not interested in the genre. Why waste space for something you won't even remember what it's about, if and when you ever get to it.

·
Registered
3,209 Posts
No.  I only download things I want to read.  No point in downloading something that doesn't interest me just because it's free.

I don't even browse free books downloading stuff to read in the future really--beyond downloading several classics I'd been meaning to read for years when I first got my Kindle. 

I just don't have much interest in building a big "to be read" pile as I hate having big piles of books, or movies or video games staring me down and making me feel like a slacker in my hobbies!  When I have a big backlog of books to read or videogames to play I tend to feel pressured to get through them, and then the hobby starts to feel like work.

I like to just be more spontaneous only have at most 1 or 2 things in the to read (or play, or watch) next pile and just spontaneously looking for something interesting to read next when I finish those.

What I do collect is samples of books I hear about and think I may like and keep those in a collection on my Kindle.  Then when I'm at that point of needing to pick something to read next I look through that collection and see what catches my eye from the titles and then read a sample or two and pick a book to read that way.

·
Registered
9,515 Posts
Almost... But I have 9 people on my account, so we cover many different things liked. Scifi/SciFantasy get's picked up almost automatically because 5 of us like them. Regency/historical romances go to my mom. Chick lit/comtemporary romance goes to me, YA to my 2 kids, Action/adventure/thriller, go to the guys on the account, Dad, Uncle, & DH get military related books. etc, etc, etc.

I do all of the "buying" and just send books to the appropriate kindles/kindle able devices.

·
Registered
700 Posts
I only download free books that sound interesting to me.  I don't really understanding how someone could download "anything and everything" that's free.  There are so many, it wouldn't take long to fill up a Kindle!

·
Registered
10,391 Posts
I definitely do not download everything free that I see, but I generally do if I think (a) there's some possibility I might want to read it, and (b) there's some possibility it might not be free in the future.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Not always. Free samples of genres I like are almost always a given, but I won't waste time picking up a free book that I might not read when I've purchased so many others to read.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
I only download what I think I might read. Otherwise why bother?

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I agree, why bother filling up what does not interest you. He said it's almost like hoarding:)

·
Registered
24 Posts
Looks like I'm in the minority--I'm interested in several genres, so I download just about every free book offered.  I don't fill up my Kindle, though; I send the books to my PC where I can delete several at once.  Whenever I'm ready to read a book I download it to my Kindle from the archives.  I've given up on trying to read all the books I've downloaded as I am downloading books at a much faster rate than I can read them, plus there are books I have paid for that I'm more interested in reading.  But I figure that since the books cost me neither money nor space, it can only benefit me to have more choices.  I'll definitely never run out of books to read. ;D

·
Registered
5,087 Posts
I don't care if something is free or not, if it doesn’t look a lot like something I'd be interested in, I don't download it. Within limits, it's not the price at all, it's what the book is about and the genre.

Mike

·
Registered
2,085 Posts
I don't grab anything free either. It has to be something of interest to me, something I know I will read. I don't like cluttering my Kindle.  :)

G

·
There's so much available online I tend to limit it to things I'm actually likely to read (or have time to read).

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
trip said:
I was speaking to someone who's wife has a Kindle. He told me his wife downloads anything & everything that is free, and, I was astonished.
;D My husband would probably say the same thing - but he'd be wrong. I'm actually fairly picky about what I download free or buy. However, we do have at least a couple of hundred books on my Amazon account (I got a Kindle in Feb this year), and to him that probably seems excessive. To someone who can easily read 5 full-sized novels in a work week, though, it doesn't seem at all excessive. :)

·
Registered
50 Posts
I download anything free that I will read. I am big on the lists.

I do this in every aspects of my hobbies. I love having as many movies, books, tv shows, video games and music possible so that when the time comes to read/watch/listen/play I will have a big selection of what to choose. But not to forget, I only pick things that interest me! Part of the fun for me is actually the search, finding things that I would like!

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
Even public domain? Because if you count the public domain freebies, there's over 30,000 free Kindle books in total. Is she a hoarder?

If I downloaded even just all the limited time freebies, I'd still never get around to reading them all, especially in addition to all the paid books I want to read. I've already got 60+ books on my to-read list and every time I start to make a dent in it, I add a few few more and it goes right back up again. So I only download the freebies I'm interested in, even if it's a mild interest. I think I usually wind up downloading a few per month.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
I think the term hoarder gets misused. A real book collector just collects books. A book hoarder will, for example continue to get multiple copies of books, not because they are valuable or even different from each other, but simply out of a compulsion to obtain and keep more. The collector will have lots of bookshelves, but they will generally be organized. The book hoarder will have stacks of books everywhere, limiting the utility of the house - there might be no room to sit or even walk comfortably.

I don't know if you can really hoard digitally. I have a few hundred books on my Kindle, there are a lot that I know I might never get to. But I take comfort that they are available whenever I might feel like reading them, not when someone says I can read them. There's a file I can download with about the entire Project Gutenberg contents.

But I don't think that anyone really downloads EVERYTHING that is free, that would mean you would spend all day downloading, as so many new free books are published.

·
Registered
856 Posts
I have several people on my account so if it looks like something someone may be intereted in, then I grab it.  Plus it gives us a chance to explore new genres and authors.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts