Kindle Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm assuming this question has been answered before, but I couldn't find it in the FAQ or via searching, so apologies if I missed a previous discussion.

That said, if I buy a new Kindle, will I be able to re-download all the books I've purchased for my original Kindle to the new device? I know the books are protected with DRM...but I'm hoping it's not tied to the Kindle itself, but rather my amazon.com account.

Thanks folks.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
63,459 Posts
klieber said:
I'm assuming this question has been answered before, but I couldn't find it in the FAQ or via searching, so apologies if I missed a previous discussion.

That said, if I buy a new Kindle, will I be able to re-download all the books I've purchased for my original Kindle to the new device? I know the books are protected with DRM...but I'm hoping it's not tied to the Kindle itself, but rather my amazon.com account.

Thanks folks.
That's exactly right, they are tied to your account. Not only any new Kindle registered to your account, but you can have multiple Kindles registered to your account and they will ALL be able to access your books. The only way you can share books...of course, they can all do one-click, too, so you only want trusted people to have that power.

Betsy
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
366 Posts
As long as the new device is registered to your amazon account you can download it to your new kindle. The books are specific to your amazon account not to the kindle specifically. You can have up to 6 kindles share content as long as they are all registered to your account. You can have more kindles registered to your account however only 6 of them can contain the same material at one time. Hope this answers your question and welcome to the boards.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
19,280 Posts
Since no one knows when Version 2 is coming out and what it will look like, it really is impossible to answer that question with absolute facts.

That said, I cannot believe that Amazon would create a device whereby a current owner who is upgrading could not re-download their library. Think about it...if 300,000 Kindles have been sold (a number that has been tossed around) and people have spent potentially hundreds of dollars buying books for their Kindles, do you really think Amazon is going to alienate all of them by suddenly making their libraries incompatible and thus unusable? It doesn't make any sense, especially since Amazon seems to be a very customer-centric business.

As for the other question...if you have Kindle X and for whatever reason, Kindle X goes away and is no longer on your account (lost, stolen, broken etc) and is replaced by Kindle Y...yes, you can re-download the books in your Amazon library to the new (still version 1) Kindle.

Hope this helps.

L
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
19,280 Posts
thejackylking said:
As long as the new device is registered to your amazon account you can download it to your new kindle. The books are specific to your amazon account not to the kindle specifically. You can have up to 6 kindles share content as long as they are all registered to your account. You can have more kindles registered to your account however only 6 of them can contain the same material at one time. Hope this answers your question and welcome to the boards.
Speaking as an owner with multiple Kindles on my account....

Books are tied to your amazon account, yes. But they also know which Kindle has accessed the books. A book can only be shared to 6 six Kindles. So, say you have Kindles 1-10 on your account. Kindles 1-6 read Book X. Even if you delete it off those six Kindles, Kindles 7-10 still can't read the book. This is my understanding of how it works, I haven't had the opportunity to fully test it, since I only have 4 Kindles on my account. But from my reading of the manual, a book can only be shared on 6 Kindles. That's it.

Of course, the book can be downloaded multiple times to an "authorized" Kindle. There doesn't seem to be a limit on that.

L
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That's great news.  I should have assumed Amazon would handle this situation fairly.  Thanks for the quick replies, folks.  Even though I have one of the first generation Kindles (ordered the day it came out), this was my first time I needed to seek out info on it.  Glad I found this board!

 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,384 Posts
Welcome klieber, happy to have you here! If you haven't already done so please go to The Intro/Welcome Board and introduce yourself. Where are you from and what type books do you enjoy, etc.? There are many Kindlholics here that want to welcome you!

Linda
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
63,459 Posts
Leslie said:
Speaking as an owner with multiple Kindles on my account....

Books are tied to your amazon account, yes. But they also know which Kindle has accessed the books. A book can only be shared to 6 six Kindles. So, say you have Kindles 1-10 on your account. Kindles 1-6 read Book X. Even if you delete it off those six Kindles, Kindles 7-10 still can't read the book. This is my understanding of how it works, I haven't had the opportunity to fully test it, since I only have 4 Kindles on my account. But from my reading of the manual, a book can only be shared on 6 Kindles. That's it.

Of course, the book can be downloaded multiple times to an "authorized" Kindle. There doesn't seem to be a limit on that.

L
Thanks, Leslie and thejackylking, I had missed or forgotten the 6 Kindle limitation (I guess I couldn't imagine 6 Kindles on one account, let alone more, LOL!)

Betsy
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
364 Posts
Betsy the Quilter said:
Thanks, Leslie and thejackylking, I had missed or forgotten the 6 Kindle limitation (I guess I couldn't imagine 6 Kindles on one account, let alone more, LOL!)

Betsy
I would be afraid having that many people tried to my amazon kindle account, I worry that the would run me into the poor house. As it is I'm wait until after the holidays to buy any more books.
 
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Top