Kindle Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This thread originally asked for feedback on a possible cover, but I decided to go in a different direction and have removed it. Thanks to all who chimed in!

The US president's seven-year-old nephew has been kidnapped. The nation is horrified, but the crime turns out to be just the break that disgraced former Navy SEALs Shelby Ryder and Earl Bernstein need. If they're able to rescue the boy, who's being held somewhere in the Florida Everglades, the president assures them he'll restore their SEAL trident pins. But something's not right. Support people don't show. Others won't reveal their real names. Many seem more mercenary than military. Shelby and Earl are suspicious, but they're desperate to be SEALs again, and there's a boy out there in need of rescue. And so, into the depths of the humid, alligator-infested Everglades they go, to start a mission they were never intended to survive.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Gregg Bell said:
Does the cover work as a thriller? Does it fit with the blurb? Thanks.

The US president's seven-year-old nephew has been kidnapped. The nation is horrified, but the crime turns out to be just the break that disgraced former Navy SEALs Shelby Ryder and Earl Bernstein need. If they're able to rescue the boy, who's being held somewhere in the Florida Everglades, the president assures them he'll restore their SEAL trident pins. But something's not right. Support people don't show. Others won't reveal their real names. Many seem more mercenary than military. Shelby and Earl are suspicious, but they're desperate to be SEALs again, and there's a boy out there in need of rescue. And so, into the depths of the humid, alligator-infested Everglades they go, to start a mission they were never intended to survive.

It doesn't work for me. Looks like a [guy] watching a forest fire, not a Navy Seal.

Edited. Drop me a PM if you have any questions. - Becca

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
Falls short for me. The silhouette says "redneck" not "hero".

The rest of the design falls into amateur territory. Not terrible, just clearly amateur.

·
Registered
230 Posts
the cover does not say thriller to me, it looks more like an adventure drama, as if I am reading about a man who is out for a hunting adventure

if i read the blurb of this cover I would be confused

·
Registered
145 Posts
Nothing about this says military thriller to me. Personally, I don't think the silhouette idea works anyway. It makes for far too much empty black space. And the overall look of the whole cover just doesn't look professional to me.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Maybe a couple of small helicopters silhouetted on the horizon, flying away...

If the silhouette in the foreground is too much black, maybe fill the shape with the colors of a target (i.e. target on his back).

·
Registered
1,100 Posts

Blurb hinges on a fragile goal ... doing a rescue just to get their medals back? More compelling for the blurb is if the hostage is related to them or a friend's kid. Personal risk. The medals would still be part of the story but the blurb reason for the protagonist is heroic.

Cover I would shrink the shadowed person down to make them look small in the image. Keep the grass blades tall. Like the world is large and dangerous against a very small and nearly hopeless situation for a mercenary. If you mirrored the black band top and bottom, even leaving the grass on both, when looking at a thumbnail 'the world' would appear to be a panther biting/swallowing the hero or a cave. Then put the title at the top with author at the bottom.

Alternative, use a thin black band at the bottom for the author name and put the title up "in the clouds' in a heavy black font that takes up half the top space by stretching the font vertically.

Try a couple of different title fonts. The block style you have may be more adventure than horror/thriller.

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
J. Tanner said:
Falls short for me. The silhouette says "redneck" not "hero".

The rest of the design falls into amateur territory. Not terrible, just clearly amateur.
Thanks J. I agree.

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
marissa_lopez said:
the cover does not say thriller to me, it looks more like an adventure drama, as if I am reading about a man who is out for a hunting adventure

if i read the blurb of this cover I would be confused
Thanks marissa. Yeah, I'm trying to get the cover to sync up with the blurb. I agree that it doesn't do that with this cover.

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
ShawnaReads said:
Nothing about this says military thriller to me. Personally, I don't think the silhouette idea works anyway. It makes for far too much empty black space. And the overall look of the whole cover just doesn't look professional to me.
Thanks Shawna

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
jvin248 said:

Blurb hinges on a fragile goal ... doing a rescue just to get their medals back? More compelling for the blurb is if the hostage is related to them or a friend's kid. Personal risk. The medals would still be part of the story but the blurb reason for the protagonist is heroic.

Cover I would shrink the shadowed person down to make them look small in the image. Keep the grass blades tall. Like the world is large and dangerous against a very small and nearly hopeless situation for a mercenary. If you mirrored the black band top and bottom, even leaving the grass on both, when looking at a thumbnail 'the world' would appear to be a panther biting/swallowing the hero or a cave. Then put the title at the top with author at the bottom.

Alternative, use a thin black band at the bottom for the author name and put the title up "in the clouds' in a heavy black font that takes up half the top space by stretching the font vertically.

Try a couple of different title fonts. The block style you have may be more adventure than horror/thriller.

Thanks jvin for the specific suggestions, but this cover is getting pretty universally trashed, so I'm bailing. Will keep your suggestions in mind for the next one.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts