1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
EDITED: Sounds like the winner is...

Sunwalker Press

Ha! Bet that got your attention! ;D

I've decided to publish my books under a press name (As per recommendations by giants of the indie world such as Dean Wesley Smith and Robin Sullivan.).

I want something meaningful (to me), but that doesn't sound like an erotica press. Not that there's anything wrong with that! ;D Nor do I want it to sound to girly. I want it to reflect the type of books I write: urban fantasy/paranormal romance/scifi/post-apocalyptic/steampunk.

My mother's middle name is Viola, so I thought I'd honor her:

Viola Press

or

Viola Publishing

Questions? Comments? Screams of Moral Outrage?

·
Registered
3,171 Posts

·
Registered
513 Posts
I love the name Viola, but to me it says gentle, southern lady versus steampunk, post-apocalypse, etc.

I sort of want something edgier or more modern.  Maybe you can combine it with something else to get more oomph?  :)

Off to a good start, though!

·
Registered
16,323 Posts
I don't see why it would sound dirty, but to me it sounds very "girly".

·
Registered
624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
RebeccaKnight said:
I love the name Viola, but to me it says gentle, southern lady versus steampunk, post-apocalypse, etc.

I sort of want something edgier or more modern. Maybe you can combine it with something else to get more oomph? :)

I was afraid of that. lol Back to the drawing board.

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
I agree with Rebecca on all counts. There's nothing wrong with the name, and I don't think it sounds erotic, but it doesn't evoke an edgy feel, if that's what you're after. I've been struggling with this myself. I think I want to set up a DBA for tax purposes and also to list as the Publisher, but I really have trouble picking names for anything.

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
RebeccaKnight said:

I sort of want something edgier or more modern. Maybe you can combine it with something else to get more oomph? :)

I kind of feel that way too. Why not something with that to make the initials for your publishing co. VIP instead of just VP? (Just a thought, since you can play on the very-important-person acronym ;) ) Also, I almost want to read Viola and Voila, which would be an interesting play on the name and also intriguing for a publisher, as in "Voila! Be amazed!"

I'm just rambling with my thoughts. Take whatever is helpful or not at all :p

·
Registered
624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
You don't think it's too much?  My first series is the Sunwalker Saga.  Thought it might be too OTT.  I do actually like it, though.

Sunwalker Press... hmmm... 

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
Yes, it did grab my attention - and then I was so very disappointed  :(

How about 'My Chest, Press' - or 'Black Lace Place' - or 'Passion Pen Press' - or even 'Pen 15 Press' for those with high-school level humor lol

·
Registered
624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
modwitch said:
Jeebers - I click through to your blog because Sunwalker is such a freaking cool name for a series... and I'm looking at my covers :eek:. LOL, and thank you!
SURPRISE!!!! ;D

·
Registered
624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
RonnellDPorter said:
Yes, it did grab my attention - and then I was so very disappointed :(

How about 'My Chest, Press' - or 'Black Lace Place' - or 'Passion Pen Press' - or even 'Pen 15 Press' for those with high-school level humor lol
Sorry, Ronnell. lol

Those are all EXCELLENT names, of course. But somehow I don't think they quite suit the urban fantasy genre very well. lol

·
Registered
399 Posts
SheaMacLeod said:
You don't think it's too much? My first series is the Sunwalker Saga. Thought it might be too OTT. I do actually like it, though.

Sunwalker Press... hmmm...
I like Sunwalker Press. I says urban fantasy to me. Sunwalker, instead of daywalker. A vamp who can "somehow" go out in the light of day. Or a dhampir, who is a vamp slayer. It brings lots of UF ideas to me.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts