Kindle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 69 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife doesn't ever get a chance to read my books, because I breathlessly tell her all about what I'm writing as I go. There aren't any surprises left for her. (I think she genuinely likes to hear me tell her these stories, though, and it seems to crack her up when I tell her that a character surprised me and zigged when I expected them to zag.)

What about you? Does your SO read your books? Do you wish they didn't? Do you wish they did?

·
Registered
7,648 Posts
I'm lucky that my SO is my biggest fan. He also gives really helpful feedback, which makes me feel bad for not being more fascinated by his various DnD campaigns.  :D

·
Registered
3,198 Posts
Dalya said:
I'm lucky that my SO is my biggest fan. He also gives really helpful feedback, which makes me feel bad for not being more fascinated by his various DnD campaigns. :D
I'll see your DnD and raise you banking analytics that somehow always requires a complete recoding of software. The recounting of his brilliant fix usually involves an inordinate number of abbreviations and acronyms.

·
Registered
7,648 Posts
Alain Gomez said:
I'll see your DnD and raise you banking analytics that somehow always requires a complete recoding of software. The recounting of his brilliant fix usually involves an inordinate number of abbreviations and acronyms.
Painful! I also have a dear friend in law school right now. Apparently, tax law is fascinating (to him).

My books usually have a lot of humor in them, and my dear husband laughs out loud while reading. Sometimes there's this rolling guffaw followed by wheezing, if I really get a good scene. It's (almost) better than sales. :D

I loved the bit in Stephen King's memoir about him being needy and irritating his wife when she's reading his work.

·
Registered
728 Posts
I'm still trying to convince somebody to become my SO. My cat, however, remains completely mum on the subject of my writing. I would know. I read it all to her.  :p

·
Registered
632 Posts
My wife cannot stand reading on a screen (including eink) so wont touch anything of mine. She'll have to wait for me to pull my finger out and get something sorted with Createspace.

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
Nope, my boyfriend hasn't read any of my work, though he has helped me out with outlining a few times.

On the other hand, my family all have a copy of my short story collection and my parents have read the first book in my trilogy.

·
Registered
877 Posts
No, my husband has not read my books, and neither has my mother. My mother claims lack of time. My husband claims that when he is in the mood to read again, he will.

But now that my first book is just about ready on audio, he's listening to it during his commute. He reads fantasy and likes YA fantasy - I've been quite annoyed that he wouldn't read it.

He does however frequently ask if I've made enough that he can retire yet.

·
Registered
8,796 Posts
My wife reads my stuff ... sometimes.

But she's usually beta-read it before, so.... not always.

She's a tough critic but not detailed on feedback, so I have other beta-readers, too.

·
Registered
2,622 Posts
Herc- The Reluctant Geek said:
No, and I'm thankfull. Once upon a time, I was my harshest critic. And then I met my wife...
^^^ THIS.

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
jasongurley said:
What about you? Does your SO read your books? Do you wish they didn't? Do you wish they did?
No, she doesn't. And I wouldn't want her to read my books just because I wrote them. She's very supportive, though, and genuinely proud of my accomplishments.

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
My husband does read my books. He is my first beta reader.
I don't tell him ANYTHING while I'm writing. This is just as well because I'm obsessive and intense, so it's a choice between nothing or all the time everything. Plus I don't want to spoil the surprises for him.

I'm very lucky because not only is he a great proofreader (I'm terrible at that) but he is quite a stern critic as well. He does not hold back when he thinks something does not work. It can sting, but then I just have to go for a walk and deal with it. It would be a breach of trust if I got upset about his criticism, which is always constructive.

Actually I'm a bit intimidated by my own family. My sisters and my brother all read my books too, and they are -- well -- critical academics. I'm always a bit terrified what they will think of my books but so far they've enjoyed what I've written. Or anyway, they don't tell me if they dont!

·
Registered
2,274 Posts
My wife reads my work. I don't tell her much, if anything, while I am writing, so she comes at it fresh.

She mainly uses what she gets out of it to work on design.

I get a little feedback, a few corrections, and a lecture on how to stop thinking that I suck all the time. Unlike some of you, I really am my worst critic.

She's actually a big fan, and has been since before we were together. She started reading my work back when we were feeling things out. There are multiple stories she really wants me to write which she's seen bits and pieces of. Apparently it's irritating when someone whose work you love doesn't finish writing things.

·
Registered
144 Posts
My partner and I write together, for the most part. Our lives revolve around writing and getting better at it.

1 - 20 of 69 Posts