Kindle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
2,520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday my wife was helping me proof read my new novel Sally Ann and the Indians. It was helpful since she caught some errors that I hadn't noticed.

She won't proof read anything that is racy though so you can safely assume that the above novel is not racy.

So she is a part time proof reader. Of course, maybe that is good since she is always saying "shouldn't you tone this down some?" Actually she will proof read my racy books too, but she skips over the sex scenes so some of the book is not proof read.

Since some my best sellers have been racy books, I am not too fond of her advice. Fun at the Car Wash and Other Erotic Short Stories has done very well and keeps selling.

So does your spouse help proof read your novels to get them ready to be published?

·
Registered
4,981 Posts
My dear departed husband proofread and edited all the books I wrote up to his death.  He was really good at it, and bluntly honest-- he didn't hesitate to tell me when a character's behavior made no sense, or when a plot twist was dumb-- and he even read the racy parts, although they embarrassed him. :)  I miss him when I write-- I've never found a beta reader to equal him!

·
Registered
399 Posts
My wife has and will proof read my stories, and doesn't mind racy stuff.  Unfortunately, she doesn't take it seriously enough, and only reads sporactically.  She will deligently read and mark up any story she starts, it's just HARD to get her to start a story. 

·
Registered
3,614 Posts
My books are still in the first draft stage but my husband has agreed to proof-read them & correct my grammar.  He works as a newspaper editor so he should hopefully be quite good!

I plan on roping in my lovely mother-in-law to help out as a second pair of eyes as well.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Being an authors husband - - I can say yes.... I do help her proof read. We've also enlisted all of our children at one time or another. We find that 8 to 9 people can read the same book and we all miss something that another person will catch.

·
Registered
989 Posts
I'm not married, but my boyfriend does gladly proofread for me. :) My sister also does, and let me tell you, there is no one on the face of the Earth who wants to point out your mistakes more than your sibling, LOL! She's an amazing editor; she's brutally honest.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Steve. isn't that what wives are for? My wife reads my work and makes comment more on the story line than on grammar and punctuation. With those who believe the more eyes read something the better I agree.

·
Registered
181 Posts
My wife has me read my stories to her before bed. Sometimes she'll make comments about an odd word choice, but mostly it's beneficial because I catch more when I read out loud than I do reading silently.

·
Registered
137 Posts
My husband is good at finding errors in homonyms, but he reads very slowly, so it's hard for me to use him as a sounding board.  (He reads slowly because he is used to reading heavy stuff, not fiction.)  I have had my daughters proofread.  Also, my daughter-in-law does sometimes.  I'm a former grammar teacher, but it is very hard for me  to catch every error by myself.

·
Registered
554 Posts
It's wonderful having a spouse to do your proof reading. I tried it with my husband - soon after, he took my computer to be serviced, thought he was doing me a favour as he was taking his in. Two days later he brought it back, pleased as punch to tell me it is next to brand new - yep you guessed it, he had everything wiped off. Granted this was when we were living in a foreign speaking country - the language barrier got in the way..... and yep - he is still alive. Now I don't let him near my computer, and give him the black look if he tries to come anyway near my writing space. Thank heavens for friends who are prepared to read what I write.

·
Registered
768 Posts
My wife doesn't proofread or edit, no but she has been the first reader of my novels for 21+ years now (we'll be married 22 years in two months). Like Alan, I've tried (a small few times over the years) to go through editing, scenes and characters but it's not something she enjoys doing. She'd rather read and relax with the finished book, not walk around with me while the house is being built discussing where to put the fridge and spare closet.

·
Registered
183 Posts
My wife reads everything I write and does so before I even think of giving it to someone else to read.  She's brutally honest but for all the right reasons since she wants to see me succeed as much as I want to succeed.  Also, it doesn't mean half as much to me when someone else pays me a compliment in comparison to when she does.

·
Registered
269 Posts
My husband does! He's the best :). I'm currently working on my chick-lit trilogy and he's ALL into it. He even comes up with brilliant ideas to add more drama. lol. But, he LOVES movies and stories, so he's a natural creator.

It's really cute because when he travels, he'll have my book on his Ipad, reading a "chick-lit" piece on the plane :). When it comes to grammar, he doesn't even bother with it. It's more of story editing, character development etc. When we drive somewhere, I'll have my laptop in my lap in the car, reading scenes out loud. He definitely has great ideas; hence the reason we're collabing on a piece that will be released in the fall ;-) 

1 - 20 of 44 Posts