Kindle Forum banner
21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
917 Posts
I love it when that happens. Non-writers don't get it. ("You made it up. How can you say it 'just happened?'")

The first novel I ever finished had what I thought was a minor character who just showed, ended up with with a name, and became a major character.

It's happened other times as well. With one novel (Tower of Strength, trad pubbed in 2009), I flipped out when I discovered that a wild horse was a major player in the story. I flopped onto the couch by my husband and whined that I'd have to do a bunch of new research. He's lived with the weirdness of a writer long enough to know not to argue. He just smiled and said, "Good luck with that."

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
OF COURSE! :)

My novel coming out this month is a direct result of that.  I had an idea for a short story where a serial killer meets the devil to work out a deal... and as I started to write it, I had the serial killer on one shoulder and the devil on the other shoulder talking to me, expanding the work... next thing I knew, I had 75,000 words and a novel! ;)

-jb 8)

·
Registered
2,520 Posts
I have noticed too that the writing seems to take on a life of its own.  Many times it just seems to flow from my fingers to the computer screen.

Sometimes  I wonder if I am really writing the novel.

The characters do come alive and assume a life of their own.

The story writes itself.

After reading it though later, I think to myself "Did I really write that?"

·
Registered
821 Posts
It's the coolest experience when writing takes on a life of its own--and to me, one of the true joys of writing.  I wrote detailed outlines for all of my books, but loved it the most when my characters simply made it up as they went along.

Miriam Minger

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
I've never done outlines. In fact even halfway through I have no idea how it will end, so the story is as exciting for me as a reader. Where the heck is this going? lol

·
Registered
254 Posts
My writing always takes on a life of its own. The characters do and say things that I never planned and often plots go in a direction that I had never anticipated. To me that's the excitement of creation, the totally unexpected. And those moments are priceless

Martin

http://thegamblersnovel.com

·
Registered
876 Posts
Richard Raley said:
First happened to me in high school in a Book Which Shall Not Be Named. A fantasy novel I'd planned for these characters to take these stolen magical items, one each. Only the honorable god-fearing one says the equivalent of "I can't do that, stealing is against the gods, it is a sin." I remember staring at the page afterwords and thinking "You're screwing up my plot you pious jerk!"
Haha :D I've had similar thoughts when my characters mess my plot up by doing their own thing.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.