Kindle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Oh no, say it ain't so.
No more Dortmunder?

Drowned Hopes was my favorite.  It doesn't appear to be listed in the Kindle store, though.

G

·
Robin and I were just discussing how much we loved his books a couple of days ago. His Dancing Aztecs is on my Top Ten list. I have an entire shelf dedicated to him in my library. This really, really hurts. :'(

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Caper novels will never be the same again.  Mom is distraught.  However, she did go pre-order the last Dortmunder novel.  I'm going to read "What's the Worst the could happen" again.

~r

·
Registered
11,848 Posts
His books sound very interesting.  I got on Wikipedia and got a list of the Dortmunder books in order of publication.  I would love to read them, but the older ones are not kindlized yet.  Is it necessary to read them in order?

G

·
drenee said:
His books sound very interesting. I got on Wikipedia and got a list of the Dortmunder books in order of publication. I would love to read them, but the older ones are not kindlized yet. Is it necessary to read them in order?
It's not really necessary, but it adds enjoyment. Different recurring characters join (or thwart) Dortmunder's crew through the course of the series and it adds to the humor if you know their history. However, they can mostly be enjoyed as stand-alone novels.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I'm incredibly sad. I've seen what seems to be quite a few of my favorite authors die of late.

The Dortmunder novels come in two flavors: out of print (The Hot Rock up to just before What's the Worse that could Happen?) and in print (What's the Worse that Could Happen? onwards). The out of print books aren't even in print in paper.

You can start reading the series anywhere; I started with Good Behaviour which was late in the first (and now out of print) half.

For those interested in one of his very early works, a 1961 work is on Feedbooks for free: The Risk Profession, a short story of a science fiction caper (not Dortmunder). If you're in the United States, it's perfectly legal to download and read (and is likely his only work that is so).

(Full Legal note: The Risk Profession is not legal to download in Canada, the United Kingdom, Ireland, Australia, Madagascar, all of continental Europe, all of Asia, all of South America, almost all of Africa, almost all of the Middle East, and everywhere else where copyright for every work of an author extends to multiple years after death (sometimes 25 years, sometimes 50 years, most often 70 years).

The only countries where The Risk Profession can be legally downloaded as of this writing are: United States (as of this posting, and only because copyright was never renewed and it's a pre-1978 work), Afghanistan (no copyright law), and Ethiopia (expires on author death).)

The advice of the previous two paragraphs is not meant to be legal counsel in any form or fashion.)

G

·
Arachne: I just bought a replacement trade PB of The Hot Rock at B&N a couple of years ago.

I don't think it's out of print.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Bacardi Jim said:
Arachne: I just bought a replacement trade PB of The Hot Rock at B&N a couple of years ago.
I stand corrected; it's also clearly not out of print on Amazon.com.

Which leaves Bank Shot, Jimmy the Kid, Nobody's Perfect, Why Me?, Good Behavior, Drowned Hopes out of print. Don't Ask is in print by its fingertips as far as I can tell---all the Mass Paperbacks are now an endangered species and unavailable on Amazon, and two copies are left of the 1993 hardcover on Amazon (edited to add: at least from someone other than a used bookseller); perhaps more is coming soon, but the paperback out of print and a hardback published in 1993 isn't a great sign of a revival.

G

·
I didn't mean to gainsay your entire point. I just thought that maybe the news that The Hot Rock was once again available might cheer you up. :)

Like a few others, Drowned Hopes is my favorite book in the series. (With the possible exception of the brilliant first one.) Thank goodness for my good old hardback copy I bought from the library. :)

·
Registered
13 Posts
The Hot Rock so recently available does cheer me up considerably. :) It means that the rest of the earlier series has a better chance of getting to print (plus ebooks are a godsend for publishers with respect to always providing an available backlist without, ah, wasting paper on older books).

There is a version of Drowned Hopes available to buy outside of a used bookstore---pay $88.00 for audio cassettes. ???

Libraries are our friends. :)

G

·
Arachne Jericho said:
I'm incredibly sad. I've seen what seems to be quite a few of my favorite authors die of late.
Asimov, Clarke, Vonnegut and Westlake all within a year of each other. :(

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.