Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got this today and i thought it would be alot of fun. There are words that are going to be taken out of the dictionary but we can help save them by adopting them and using them wherever we can and trying to get other people to use them to. You even get a certificate of adoption for your word. Here is the text i got and the link is in my sig.

-----------------------

Save the Words is a website dedicated to keeping underused English language words in the dictionary. Pick an underused word and pledge to save it from extinction.

Lexicographers analyze the frequency of word usage in popular culture and media to decide which new words will go into the dictionary, but they also track the falling popularity of words and opt to remove them. At Save the Words, an initiative of the Oxford English Dictionary, you can browse a wall of rare words, be given a random word, or search for a word to see if it's in danger of extinction. Once you find a word to your liking, you can pledge to use that word in common usage as often as you can:

"I hereby promise to use this word, in conversation and correspondence, as frequently as possible to the best of my ability."
Thanks to Save the Words I finally have a proper adjective for a co-worker I had named Shrub Head: frutescent. Need to find companion words for your new vocabulary buddy? Check out our compendium of the best online language tools for word nerds.

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
Personally I don't like how frequently slang words are added to the dictionary.  Slang words come and go, they should be gone in a couple years instead of being added to the dictionary.  I think inventing new words is how those dictionary dudes keep their jobs.  Some slang words have longevity, but many do not.

I also don't like that today's kids, even us 40 year old kids, don't have a large vocabulary.  Many get confused by anything more than a 30 second commercial.  Heaven forbid if they were to read any of the classics.

I visited the Save The Words website and I'm going to find a couple new words for me to use.  I admit there are some words there that I could not possibly come up with a way to use, but I know I can find something.

ps.  I was in Arizona last week were there was veprecose landscape.  (ha, there's my first word)

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
I just adopted magistricide. I am very surprised this word never showed up in the Harry Potter series, since there were several instances of magistricide*, especially in the later books.

*the killing of a teacher or a master.

L

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Vampyre said:
Apathy would be my word..if i cared. :)
To bad cause i found the perfect word for you there.

Vampirarchy - A set of rulers comparable to vampires.

Example:

The Prime Minister of Transylvania runs a vampirarchy and all members must hang upside down from the Parliament ceiling.

:D ;D :D

·
Registered
26,676 Posts
I was trying to find the website and got directed to The Times of London. A flashing banner read, "The Times, now available in the U.S. on Kindle." Not an exact quote.

Good article about the project and you can vote for words through The Times website. Stephen Fry has adopted Fubsy. He says it describes some of the contestants he deals with on QI (very funny show) and he's going to try to get the producers to use it in his Kingdom series. Since it's a British show, I watch it on youtube.

I have a wonderful book entitled A Connoisseur's Collection of Old and New, Weird and Wonderful, Useful and Outlandish Words.

I think I'll take a snoach and try to get into the website again.

·
Registered
26,676 Posts
Lizzy said:
Hi gertie. Its in my sig but the site is here http://www.savethewords.org/
Yes, I saw it. Thanks. The first time I clicked on it, I couldn't get past the first screen. The second time, I got to the wall of words, but couldn't get past that. That's why I tried to back into the site and found The Times article.

I had to laugh when I saw ten-cent store. I used that term recently, but it was in connection with something that happened 50 years ago (or yesterday, I'm not sure anymore :D).

I'll keep trying. In the meantime, I'll keep an aspectabund.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
gertiekindle said:
Yes, I saw it. Thanks. The first time I clicked on it, I couldn't get past the first screen. The second time, I got to the wall of words, but couldn't get past that. That's why I tried to back into the site and found The Times article.

I had to laugh when I saw ten-cent store. I used that term recently, but it was in connection with something that happened 50 years ago (or yesterday, I'm not sure anymore :D).

I'll keep trying. In the meantime, I'll keep an aspectabund.
Hi. The wall is the only screen. That save the words box that comes up? Just run your mouse pointer around the inside edges and it will scroll the wall and you can click on the words inside the box to get the definitions. :)

I

·
0 Posts
If a word isn't in the dictionary, it's not a word anymore? That's like if I chose to be unlisted in the phone book, I don't exist anymore.

I kinda like Vampirarchy If I ever get elected mayor, I'll set one of those up. :)

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
gertiekindle said:
Hmmmm, maybe things that don't exist anymore should be taken out of the dictionary :)

·
Registered
552 Posts
While looking for a word for a particular troublesome member on my other forum,  I found "sycophant"  Fit that member to a T and is now in my new found words list ;)

·
Registered
552 Posts
Vampyre said:
Is that like a psycho elephant on shortend?
LOL, yeah! Something like that.

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
Wow, I'm going to have to go get my dictionary.  Hopefully the words are still there or I won't have a clue what everybody is talking about  ;D

B

·
0 Posts
Wannabe said:
I think I'll take blateration which means blabber or chatter.
I think that word has already been group adopted by the members of the "Australia" thread. *wicked evil grin*

·
Registered
260 Posts
gertiekindle said:
It will be replaced in the dictionary with "dollar store." ;D

I

·
0 Posts
The sycophant's continual blateration about vampiarchy has my snoach begging for a magistricide.  :)

1 - 20 of 35 Posts