Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If any of you sticking with your Kindles (Klassic Kindle ;) ) were worried about Amazon.com no longer supporting it or supplying replacement batteries, you can put your fears to rest.

Customer Service says that not only will the Kindle still be supported (whispernet will still work, you can still call for Technical Support), but although the replacement batteries are not in stock right now, they are in production and will still be offered.

·
Registered
788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It was well worth it. *Forks over*

·
Registered
552 Posts
Thanks Mikuto.  Appreciate that.

·
Registered
657 Posts
I ordered a battery just in case phoebe gets sick. Of course its backordered but she's still an infant (I got her in november) so there is no rush.

Hopefully by the time Phoebe goes to the big Amazon in the sky the K3, K4 or even the K9 will be function over form.

[rant] I'm sorry but I just prefer a great electronic device that is only OK looking over this generation's need for everything to be 'sexy'! [/rant] :mad:

*grumbleGodhelpSteveJobsifIevermeethimgrumble* :D

·
Registered
19 Posts
chobitz said:
*grumbleGodhelpSteveJobsifIevermeethimgrumble* :D
Ahahaha. Unfortunately, my Kindle hadn't arrived yet, so I'm one of the people being upgraded to the Kindle 2 without a say in the matter. That's really disappointing to me, because I loved the comical clunkiness of the Kindle 1. I would easily sacrifice a sleek, high-tech look for something adorably awkward that serves its purpose well and also *hem hem!* actually feels like a book!

·
Registered
54 Posts
You know what I just realized?  It's very possible that the reason the new Kindle gets 25% better battery life is directly tied to the fact that the battery is not user replaceable.  Without the battery housing, casing, and release switches that are needed for a battery to be user replaceable, a larger battery can fit in the same size the former battery and housing used to take up.  Apple did this with their 17 inch Macbook Pro; It has a non-user-replaceable battery, but it lasts 8 hours.  Of course, that's not to say they're immune from criticism; Some people might find that they want the option to replace the battery whenever they want as opposed to getting slightly better battery life.

·
Registered
788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
gdhaliwal23 said:
But for how long will they continue to support the classic Kindle?
I didn't ask that, because there's no way of customer service knowing. Let's us an Apple comparison again. Are the first generation iPods still supported?

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
gdhaliwal23 said:
But for how long will they continue to support the classic Kindle?
K2 came out about 18 months after K1? So, probably about that long (until K3 comes out)?

By the way, if I don't get a good trade up deal for K3, I'm sticking with K1 :D

·
Registered
5,981 Posts
My Fourth Generation IPod is still supported by Apple. Since I bought mine, the Nano, Shuffle, IPhone, and ITouch have all entered the market. My IPod is now known as the Classic IPod.  Amazon would be foolish to not support the Klassic Kindle. They know that the people who bought them have spent money on books, mainly from Amazon, and have helped them get the Kindle product line kicked off. It would be bad form for them to screw people over and I think that Jeff Bezos has better business sense then that.

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
ProfCrash said:
My Fourth Generation IPod is still supported by Apple. Since I bought mine, the Nano, Shuffle, IPhone, and ITouch have all entered the market. My IPod is now known as the Classic IPod. Amazon would be foolish to not support the Klassic Kindle. They know that the people who bought them have spent money on books, mainly from Amazon, and have helped them get the Kindle product line kicked off. It would be bad form for them to screw people over and I think that Jeff Bezos has better business sense then that.
100% true :)

·
Registered
788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
ProfCrash said:
My Fourth Generation IPod is still supported by Apple. Since I bought mine, the Nano, Shuffle, IPhone, and ITouch have all entered the market. My IPod is now known as the Classic IPod.
Exactly, my fifth generation video iPod still gets software updates when I plug it into my PC. I think nobody needs to be worried about Amazon.com suddenly no longer supporting the Kindle.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just spoke to tech support, there is nothing in writing to say how long they will support the kindle 1.  The tech I spoke to said it would be for a couple of years, but there is nothing in writing.  As Amazon is now a software provider, I would expect some time frame that they would support it through - other software companies do this... 

So, we just are told to believe they will support it...  a bit of a concern, as I only have my kindle since December...

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Teflon said:
Just spoke to tech support, there is nothing in writing to say how long they will support the kindle 1. The tech I spoke to said it would be for a couple of years, but there is nothing in writing. As Amazon is now a software provider, I would expect some time frame that they would support it through - other software companies do this...

So, we just are told to believe they will support it... a bit of a concern, as I only have my kindle since December...
Amazon has seemed to treat people well before. I don't see why they would stop now.

·
Registered
788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Teflon said:
Just spoke to tech support, there is nothing in writing to say how long they will support the kindle 1. The tech I spoke to said it would be for a couple of years, but there is nothing in writing. As Amazon is now a software provider, I would expect some time frame that they would support it through - other software companies do this...

So, we just are told to believe they will support it... a bit of a concern, as I only have my kindle since December...
Nothing in writing, no, but if the figures of them selling 500,000 Kindles is anywhere near the truth it would be terrible business practice to stop supporting them. Again, using the Apple comparison, the First Generation iPod was released in 2001 and is still supported.

I sincerely doubt that the Kindle will stop being supported anytime in the near future. 20 years from now when they're on Kindle 15? Maybe. Next year? Certainly not.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Hopefully by the time Phoebe goes to the big Amazon in the sky the K3, K4 or even the K9 will be function over form.
They should totally release the K9 complete with doggie ears and spots. Woof! Get it?? K9... Canine?

I'm such a dork.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts