Kindle Forum banner
21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
2,410 Posts
bonnerauthor said:
Frozen bananas are a staple of summer treats in southern CA. Frozen, dipped in chocolate (the kind that cones are dipped in) and rolled in peanuts usually. Speared on a stick.

Looks delish!

·
Registered
5,481 Posts
Jan Hurst-Nicholson said:
I wonder if the peel makes the flavour more pronounced?
I think I've read that the peels make them very bitter.

I've put just frozen bananas in my food processor, and have processed them until they have become unbelievably creamy. Suddenly, they change from kind of creamy grayish to beautifully white and ice cream-like. I'm going to try this in my Vitamix soon.

·
Registered
4,909 Posts
Cindy416 said:
I've put just frozen bananas in my food processor, and have processed them until they have become unbelievably creamy. Suddenly, they change from kind of creamy grayish to beautifully white and ice cream-like. I'm going to try this in my Vitamix soon.
And put a little chocolate and peanut butter in with it. Oooh Aaah! ;) Yum!

·
Registered
9,932 Posts
readingril said:
I make Chocolate Chip Banana bread!
Me too -- I make that as mini-muffins, and freeze them. Great for school snacks or for weekend breakfasts or for midnight snack attacks.

What I'd really like (and hope to find in a thread full of banana fans ;D) is a recipe for banana cream pie that does NOT involve banana slices. Just pureed banana, I guess, and whatever else it takes to make a smooth pie filling. All the recipes I've found involve some variation of arranging banana slices on the crust and then just pouring vanilla cream filling over them. Once I tried making a vanilla cream pie and adding a mashed banana, but that made the proportions all wrong and it didn't set.

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
just loose fit in ziplock freeze flat and spread out. once all frozen they can touch and not a problem to pull out a piece at a time.  lemon I must try that. my kids ate out of freezer as a treat.
sylvia

·
Registered
699 Posts
Do you not like the bananas sliced in the pie because they turn brown and yucky? Cooks Illustrated solved that by putting 1/2 the custard down, topping with banana and then covering with the rest of the custard. If it's the bother of arranging them nicely, you could try mixing them into the custard. http://laurassweetspot.blogspot.com/2011/07/banana-cream-pie.html

If you have the the pasta extruder on your juicer/blender/processor try using it to make banana spaghetti. Just toss in frozen banana chunks and extrude. It comes out smooth and yummy, and looks cool.

·
Registered
5,481 Posts
mom2karen said:
Do you not like the bananas sliced in the pie because they turn brown and yucky? Cooks Illustrated solved that by putting 1/2 the custard down, topping with banana and then covering with the rest of the custard. If it's the bother of arranging them nicely, you could try mixing them into the custard. http://laurassweetspot.blogspot.com/2011/07/banana-cream-pie.html

If you have the the pasta extruder on your juicer/blender/processor try using it to make banana spaghetti. Just toss in frozen banana chunks and extrude. It comes out smooth and yummy, and looks cool.
Mom2karen, don't you just love Cook's Illustrated (and America's Test Kitchen)? They have the most useful advice of any site that I've found. (I love Fine Cooking, as well, but ATK/CI is the best.)

·
Registered
699 Posts
Yes!  CI/ATK is the best.  We joined their magazine subscription their first year and kept going for 16 years.  Well, we switched to the annual book after about 10 years.  I loved the science behind the recipes and felt like I learned WHY they did things the way they did.  We stopped getting the annual after 2008 or so.  There were too many things they were doing again and we didn't find the new version better.  We also started watching the tv show and printing the recipes off their website. 

·
Registered
5,481 Posts
mom2karen said:
Yes! CI/ATK is the best. We joined their magazine subscription their first year and kept going for 16 years. Well, we switched to the annual book after about 10 years. I loved the science behind the recipes and felt like I learned WHY they did things the way they did. We stopped getting the annual after 2008 or so. There were too many things they were doing again and we didn't find the new version better. We also started watching the tv show and printing the recipes off their website.
I have subscribed to everything they offer for years. If you love the science behind the recipes (as do I), you would love their cookbook, "The Science of Good Cooking." They also have a new "D.I.Y." (Do It Yourself) and a "Comfort Food Makeovers" book. All are top quality. I, too, watch their tv shows and often print out their recipes, but I love to read their cookbooks.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I love the smoothie and pure banana "ice cream" ideas! 

You can throw your bananas with the peels on them into the freezer-it is its own container.  Take them out to thaw for 10 minutes before you need them, and the peel will come off very easily.  Another bonus is that the banana has already broken down, so no need to really mash.  I make banana muffins with them, great as breakfast and dessert using my favorite recipe from allrecipes.com.  I try not to waste and love to save money so much I write about it! :)

·
Registered
New crime fiction series.
3,523 Posts
I love tossing some strawberries, bananas and a little water in the blender for a delicious drink. Sometimes I put ice cubes, but I'm loving this idea of freezing the bananas! Banana ice cubes. And guilt free from throwing away over-ripened bananas.  8)

·
Registered
5,384 Posts
readingril said:
I make Chocolate Chip Banana bread!

(My golden retriever loves bananas!)
Last time I made banana bread I added Reese's peanut butter chips - so good!

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Jan Hurst-Nicholson said:
In the heat of summer bananas seem to go from green to freckled in the blink of an eye. But don't throw them out when they start going black. Peel them and wrap them individually in cling (Saran?) wrap and place them in the freezer. They are great for making milkshakes as the flavour is enhanced. They also make excellent, no mess banana popsicles (ice lollies/lollys). :)

You can also use them for banana bread, but that takes more work ::)
Hey, thanks for an awesome thread.

You have saved many bananas.

·
Registered
74 Posts
When all is said and done I think I will just revert to eating bananas in the store then hiding the skins behind the Beefaroni display.  No worries about overripe ones then.

21 - 37 of 37 Posts