Kindle Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A friend posted this on facebook yesterday:

[His wife is in South America on business.] "Yesterday after work and since it is summer down there, she took her Kindle and walked to one of the large public parks to do some reading. A bad guy rode by on a bicycle as she sat reading on a park bench and grabbed her Kindle. Mary, being Mary held on tight and wrestled it away from him and he fled. Some things never change........."

Is that bad
ass
or what! Okay, show of hands, who is willing to wrestle a mugger for their Kindle!

·
Registered
22 Posts
That's disgusting. But as to answer your question about whether I would wrestle someone for my Kindle… depends on who it was. I suspect I would be pretty outraged though, so probably yes.

Wouldn't like it much though.

·
5,885 Posts
I think it's probably most people's natural reaction, to hold on - at least at first. But whether it's actually the sensible thing to do, is another question ..... :eek:

·
Registered
704 Posts
Linjeakel said:
I think it's probably most people's natural reaction, to hold on - at least at first. But whether it's actually the sensible thing to do, is another question ..... :eek:
Pretty much. It also depends on the would-be mugger and the setting. If it's a scrawny teenager on a bicycle in the local park midday, then I'd probably hang on, kick the bike out from under him, and raise a ruckus. If I'm walking down a sketchy street? Maybe not.

·
Registered
8,822 Posts
(waving hand)

I would definitely fight a would be kindle-napper....what lower life form is there??

·
Registered
675 Posts
Seriously, I'd let them have the Kindle.  It's only $139 and my life is worth more, I'll buy another one.  No big deal.

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I agree that your life isn't worth a Kindle but since there was a happy ending to the story, I do like the image of beating some lowlife who's trying to steal it.

·
Registered
356 Posts
"A guy on a bike".

T be honest, it sounds like he was a snathc and grab type, using the bike to get away before anyone could challenge him. It wasn't in his interest to stick around and fight for it.

If it was a guy on foot and had a knife - I'd let them have the kindle.

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
TheRiddler said:
it sounds like he was a snathc and grab type, using the bike to get away before anyone could challenge him.
He also would have been disappointed it was a Kindle if he had managed to hang on.

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Elk said:
He also would have been disappointed it was a Kindle if he had managed to hang on.
I thought that too. What!! This isn't an iPad! It's just a...book.

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
TheRiddler said:
"A guy on a bike".

T be honest, it sounds like he was a snathc and grab type, using the bike to get away before anyone could challenge him. It wasn't in his interest to stick around and fight for it.

If it was a guy on foot and had a knife - I'd let them have the kindle.
I agree, it depends on the situation. If the guy doesn't have a weapon and is clearly just attempting a quick grab-and-run (hence the bike), it's unlikely he's willing to seriously harm or kill to get what he wants. So yeah, I'd hang on to what's mine in that case too.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Also, maybe I'm fairly sheltered, but I think my first reaction would be to grab for my stuff. I work to earn money to buy it, why should someone else get MY stuff, just because they want it?

Off course a large shiny knife / gun / other type of implement to do me harm would probably cause me to let go of it in a hurry. I have standards, but at the end of the day stuff is just stuff :)

Unless they tried to grab my wife / son, then nothing is making me back down - I'll even pursue them in my afterlife for all eternity!!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts