1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All!

Have a question...

I don't get why we would use a mini light to read a Kindle or any
other manner of reading for that matter.
Perhaps in bed when a spouse is trying to sleep.

But I can't think of any other use.
Am I just not seeing the forest on this one?

Appreciate any thoughts on the matter.

Eric (STILL waiting for my Kindle.)

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
ElDogStar,

I use a booklight for reading because I like to read before I fall asleep. If I have a bedside lamp on, it is too bright and doesn't let me get drowsy. The booklight is not as bright and only concentrates the light on the page, I like that. I also don't get eyestrain with the booklight, maybe because it isn't putting out all the light into the whole room where it isn't needed. I have used a booklight for years and haven't regretted it. Someone else might not like it. They are inexpensive enough to try one if you are considering it though. Hope this helps.

-sailor

·
Registered
869 Posts
Hi, Skivob & Pencepon -

Glad to see your posts here  :)  Would like to take an opportunity here to say "Welcome Aboard!"

Hopefully you will wonder over to the Intro boards so more of us can get to know you a bit more.

Cheers,

Marci

·
Registered
723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
sailor said:
ElDogStar,

I use a booklight for reading because I like to read before I fall asleep. If I have a bedside lamp on, it is too bright and doesn't let me get drowsy. The booklight is not as bright and only concentrates the light on the page, I like that. I also don't get eyestrain with the booklight, maybe because it isn't putting out all the light into the whole room where it isn't needed. I have used a booklight for years and haven't regretted it. Someone else might not like it. They are inexpensive enough to try one if you are considering it though. Hope this helps.

-sailor
Sailor! Good day.
This is very interesting. I do the vast majority of my reading also in bed at night. I do not really have a problem with the lights etc. I do use two wall mounted lights with CF's in them, so low wattage it really requires both to be on to read. But I sort of like the idea of a much darker room and simply reading in a much more localized concentration of light just on my book/Kindle.

Would also be less disruptive to the overall process to simply turn off that one small light and put the book/Kindle down.

I have a strong feeling I will now be buying a book/Kindle light!

Now I just need to figure out which one (or two) are the best before purchasing.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

Eric

·
Registered
277 Posts
Eric,
This is the one I'm using, it came with many recommendations from the board:

It comes in a variety of colors to suit all tastes. It uses 3 AAA batteries (I use rechargeables) or some of them come with an AC adapter. If I had more outlets near my bed, I think I'd get an adapter for myself. It has 2 led lights and 2 brightness settings.

Others really like the lightwedge, I don't know anything about it, so I won't comment, just putting that option out there for you.

Katiekat

·
Registered
5,384 Posts
ELDogStar said:
Sailor! Good day.
This is very interesting. I do the vast majority of my reading also in bed at night. I do not really have a problem with the lights etc. I do use two wall mounted lights with CF's in them, so low wattage it really requires both to be on to read. But I sort of like the idea of a much darker room and simply reading in a much more localized concentration of light just on my book/Kindle.

Would also be less disruptive to the overall process to simply turn off that one small light and put the book/Kindle down.

I have a strong feeling I will now be buying a book/Kindle light!

Now I just need to figure out which one (or two) are the best before purchasing.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

Eric
Good morning Eric,
I use the Lightwedge which slides over the Kindle. I like the way my Kindle fits snugly in it and the lighting is perfect. Check it out in accessories.

Linda

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
Hi Eric,

I have a booklight attached to the head of my bed. I bought it years ago from Levenger and unfortunately, they don't carry it anymore. It gives a very focused beam of light so it doesn't bother my husband and like others have said, keeps the room dark so I tend to get drowsy. Because it is a "real" light (with a plug) I don't have to worry about batteries. It has a flexible neck and is very adjustable. I've lost track of how many years I've owned it and have never had to replace the bulb. I wish I could find the same light for sale because I would love to recommend it to all the wonderful folks here.

When I was traveling in Europe back in September, I bought a little mini-booklight at a bookstore, because the places I was staying had very dim bedside lights. It's a good little light. I keep it in my purse and have used when traveling on a bus or train. I don't need it here at home.

It looks like this and they sell a light like this at Amazon. It's nice and bright but the drawback is that the batteries are expensive. They are flat batteries, like you'd find in a watch.

·
Registered
723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Leslie said:
Hi Eric,
I have a booklight attached to the head of my bed. I bought it years ago from Levenger and unfortunately, they don't carry it anymore. It gives a very focused beam of light
Now this is another VERY good idea for my needs.
I never would have thought of this, especially since it is corded and not using batteries!

I will have to keep my eyes open for something like this.

Eric

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
This is what it looks like:

I remember when I bought it I felt like I was spending a fortune (I think it cost around $100). Of course, now, it's paid for itself 10x over.

L

·
Registered
776 Posts
Hi Eric,
I have both the mightybrite flex 2 and the lightwedge.  I prefer the mightybrite because I don't have to hold it against the kindle and I have more freedom of movement.  It also came in handy during a recent power outtage as an extra little lamp.  If you get the mightybrite, may I recommend buying it in black?  That color seems to fade away and not be noticed by your eyes while you read - a little thing I know, but I don't like being aware of the booklight.

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
I too am single so don't have worry about keeping someone awake at night and I can sleep through a hurricane and have.  I have the Mighty Bright and love it for use on planes and during the power outages of the aforementioned hurricanes.  I also use it in hotels when they have the 5 watt light bulbs in the bedside lamps or when I visit someone and want to read in bed, but don't want them to know I'm awake.

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
Leslie said:
This is what it looks like:
I remember when I bought it I felt like I was spending a fortune (I think it cost around $100). Of course, now, it's paid for itself 10x over.L
ElDogStar and Leslie,

I really like this idea much better than my booklight. I also like not having to use batteries, as well, and the light is up and out of the way.

I will now look into this for a bookreader light if I can find one. I hope it would hook onto a brass headboard.

I will still use my portable light when I travel, that would be nice.

-sailor

1 - 20 of 67 Posts