Kindle Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I have been using Humana-One for the last 4 or 5 years as my Health Insurance provider. I had a PPO plan with a very high deductible to basically cover me in case of something major... I did get basic stuff too, office visits etc.... but only went to a Doctor once for a minor thing. I paid a quarterly premium, just over 450.00 every 3 months. Never late nor missed a payment. That is somewhere between 7500-10,000 dollars I have paid this company.

Anyway, I moved from GA to CA, before I did I called to see if I could still get my plan in So Cal and I was assured that I could, though depending on where I ended up, my payments may increase, as much as 300.00. Ok, I said. In the past, anytime there was an increase they sent notification way ahead, with options and I chose what I wanted and signed off on it.

I sent in my change of address with my last bill. My plan also included a 12 month rate guarantee, so I thought I would have plenty of time to figure this out if they did want to rase my rate. They cashed my check at the beginning of February and then yesterday I receive a new bill saying I still owed over 1000.00 and another notice telling me my rate had been tripled as of March 1! I get this on March 5th!!! No explanation, I also get all kinds of new insurance crap, apparently I have been upgraded to a "Major Medical" plan with no notice, explanation or even the courtesy of a phone call to explain the situation or my options.

I have found other plans, from searching online similar to what I had in the same price range... but they have my money!  :-\ :( :mad:!

I have not called them yet (too angry!) I did tweet something about it and got a weak response... "If there is something we can do to help, email details & your contact info to social @Humana .com. -Jeff" 

so I may try emailing my situation and see what they say... ? Ideally, I want them to cover me through the 3 months I paid for, for what I paid and then I will go with another carrier if they don't offer a plan in Ca, like the one I had in GA, which I suspect is the problem. However not what I was told.

So I am open to any advice, suggestions for good HI providers for freelancers in So Cal. I would also like to hear any other horror stories...

·
Registered
4,906 Posts
I would think carrier couldn't change plan / plan benefits on you (the upgrade?), but premium amount -- I don't know. So many things determine the premium -- location being a big factor. After the fact, probably better to get premium quote in writing as opposed to verbal, ". . . payments may increase, as much as 300.00." Also, private health insurance is state regulated. What may be law in one state is not in another. I learned that a few years ago. Health insurance is tricky. I was able to retire early so had private health insurance (Blue Cross / Blue Shield) for ten years. I signed up for a plan with limited benefits to keep premium low. Six months in to the ten years, I had major claims. DCIS (very early BrCa). Very app. $100,000 total. I was worried BC/BS would call it pre-existing condition. They didn't. They paid as they should. :) The only other claims I had during the whole ten years were annual mammograms and another biopsy which came back negative. A year ago I made it to Medicare. I'm paying just a little less, but have full coverage. :)

·
Registered
2,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well it seems the power of social networking is helpful in getting action. I talked to one person and they said they wound "honor" my original rate for this billing period to give me time to figure out my options. I missed a follow up call from some one else that I am hoping does not change what she said, though she actually gave me a "confirmation #" for our conversation which was recorded...

·
Registered
4,906 Posts
Cuechick said:
Well it seems the power of social networking is helpful in getting action. I talked to one person and they said they wound "honor" my original rate for this billing period to give me time to figure out my options. I missed a follow up call from some one else that I am hoping does not change what she said, though she actually gave me a "confirmation #" for our conversation which was recorded...
That's good -- in writing or truly recorded. I was a legal secretary for a number of years. Attorneys, of course, always make a record of who they talk to, what was said, and when. I try to remember that instead of down the line, "Somebody told me . . . ."

1 - 4 of 4 Posts