Kindle Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ready to download a book from my public library to my iPhone. Any way I can transfer this book to Kindle after download?

·
Registered
2,520 Posts
Probably not at this time.  Libraries are not carrying e-books in Kindle format yet.  Amazon said that Libraries should start carrying books in Kindle format later this year.

Of course, if the Kindle software is upgraded to read epub books then it becomes easier.

·
Super Moderator
67,350 Posts
From the press release of April 20:

Amazon today announced Kindle Library Lending, a new feature launching later this year that will allow Kindle customers to borrow Kindle books from over 11,000 libraries in the United States. Kindle Library Lending will be available for all generations of Kindle devices and free Kindle reading apps.
The full Press Release gives some details. They do not say that the Kindles will be able to read ePub -- in fact I find this unlikely as they specifically say that it "will be available for all generations of Kindle devices." That would include the First generation Kindle which has much less in terms of processing power and a completely different control interface.

Because of the notes feature -- you can make notes in a library book that will be preserved and still be there if you borrow the book again later or even buy it from Amazon -- I'm thinking the lending will go through the Amazon servers somehow, so it might be there will be a conversion process that we don't even notice.

In any event, I've renewed my library card which had been gathering dust. ;D

·
Registered
5,384 Posts
Franklin Eddy said:
Probably not at this time. Libraries are not carrying e-books in Kindle format yet. Amazon said that Libraries should start carrying books in Kindle format later this year.

Of course, if the Kindle software is upgraded to read epub books then it becomes easier.
Actually I'm not sure ePub will make it easier - library lending will be more streamlined with Kindle if the books come in .mobi/azn format, because that would eliminate the need for using Adobe Digital Editions the way we do with ePubs. No one (outside of Amazon & Overdrive) knows for sure how library lending will work - it's been speculated that the books could come directly from Amazon's servers much like they do with Kindle-to-Kindle lending - but we don't really know yet. The fact that bookmarks, notes & highlights made on the library edition would be saved if one chose to purchase the book helps support that opinion, though.

But no, since current Overdrive books are almost always ePubs they can't be read on a Kindle without jumping through some hoops involving DRM removal, which we can't discuss here. But they'll work on tablets or computers with the proper apps (Overdrive, ADE, or for iPhone/Touch/iPad, the Bluefire Reader app ).

·
Registered
122 Posts
I'm not on the lending bandwagon like I thought I might be when I first got my K3...  All the books available for e-borrowing at my library are so back ordered that I'd probably forget what I was waiting for!

Makes me tired just looking at the wait list....  :eek:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts