Kindle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I searched through the threads and didn't find an answer to this. I purchased a skin from decalgirl and can't figure out how to download the matching screensaver?????Please help!

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
No fear, it's super easy. Trust me: I did it, and I've crashed pretty much everything I've laid my hands on this year.

So here's what you do:

You know what. Never mind. There are experts who can explain it better, and I'll just end up making you explode your toaster.
So check here:
http://www.kboards.com/index.php/topic,1477.0.html

or here:
http://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17234&page=4

(post #55 is the one with the info you need.)

It's really really easy. I promise.

Good luck!
robin

·
Premium Member
63,459 Posts
If you received your screensaver from Decalgirl (if you followed the directons on the skin sheet that you got, you should have gotten an email with the skin attached.)

Next, you'll need to hook your Kindle up to your computer using the USB cable. If you're uncomfortable doing this, let us know, we'll walk you through it!

Also, you should know that installing the custom one prevents the built-in screensavers from showing up, though you can go back to them or find ways around that, but that's a discussion for later.

Finally, here's a reprint of an earlier post about installing the screensaver http://www.kboards.com/index.php/topic,769.0.html:

As many know, Leslie covers adding custom screensavers on Location 381 of her book, The Amazon Kindle FAQ availlable at Amazon:

Overview: you connect the Kindle to your PC via USB and create a folder, either on the Kindle itself or on the SD card, called pictures and then a subfolder called screensavers within the pictures folder. Note that they must be all in lowercase letters.

You copy the desired images into the screensavers folder. (Complete details elsewhere in the forum or in Leslie's book, this is just an overview).

Then, after safely removing the Kindle from the PC, on your Kindle, you go to Home and press Alt-z, which creates a book called screensavers.

You open that book and find the first image you want to use.

Press Alt-F if the battery indicator shows up at the bottom of the picture, this makes it full screen.

Then press Alt-shift-0 (zero) to copy it as a screensaver to the secret system screensaver file.

After doing this, you can press Alt-aA to put the Kindle to sleep and see your new screensavers.

Betsy

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i have it saved in the screensavers folder i created but it isn't transferring to the kindle. I am a complete moron when it comes to computers. i appreciate the help!

·
Registered
3,128 Posts
Robin: You always make me laugh too. I need a laugh today it is going to be yucky here in New York today. Thanks for the links I need to download the screensaver that came with my skin too. I am going to wait till tomorrow when I have more time. I would do it tonight when I get home from work but I am going out to dinner with friends for a Christmas dinner. After a few glass of wine it may not be the time to try and download the screensaver. ;D

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
I can speak from experience on this one:
Right after a few glasses of wine is the optimal time to try downloading and installing screensavers.

Also, the alcohol makes you somewhat more grounded electrically than you would normally be, so you don't have to worry as much about the shower of sparks coming out of the vacuum cleaner. I mean, it'll seem funny rather than panic-inducing.

Other than that, I would totally follow Leslie's advice. She's the SME on this one.

Subject matter expert. Not Captain Hook's second in command.

~robin

·
Registered
3,128 Posts
robin.goodfellow said:
I can speak from experience on this one:
Right after a few glasses of wine is the optimal time to try downloading and installing screensavers.

Also, the alcohol makes you somewhat more grounded electrically than you would normally be, so you don't have to worry as much about the shower of sparks coming out of the vacuum cleaner. I mean, it'll seem funny rather than panic-inducing.

Other than that, I would totally follow Leslie's advice. She's the SME on this one.

Subject matter expert. Not Captain Hook's second in command.

~robin
Robin LOL ;D :D :)

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
lisadawnrn said:
i have it saved in the screensavers folder i created but it isn't transferring to the kindle. I am a complete moron when it comes to computers. i appreciate the help!
You do have the Kindle connected to your computer with the USB cable, right?

L

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
i click on kindle and it brings up the pictures folder then i click that and it brings up screensavers folder and then click that and the screensaver is there. When i disconnect the kindle and do alt z no new book titled screensvaer appears.

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
Okay...and I am assuming you have Windows.

Open Windows explorer. On your computer, find the file for the screensaver you want to use. Copy it.

Now, navigate to your Kindle. Create a folder called picture. Click on that folder and then create a subfolder called screensavers.

Paste the copied file in the screensavers folder.

From there, follow the instructions Betsy gave a few posts back.

Report back.

L

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
lisadawnrn said:
i click on kindle and it brings up the pictures folder then i click that and it brings up screensavers folder and then click that and the screensaver is there. When i disconnect the kindle and do alt z no new book titled screensvaer appears.
It will be the very last book on your home screen. Go to the very last page and see if it is there.

L

·
Premium Member
63,459 Posts
Betsy the Quilter said:
OK

Did you press Alt-Z when you were at the home page?

Betsy
OOps you said you did, sorry!

How are the books sorted in your Kindle? By most recent or alphabetically by title?

Betsy

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
everything is lower case, I was on the home page when i did alt z. Am I suppose to do something to make it transfer to the kindle other than saving in the screensvaers folder? Just disconncet the kindle right after saving the image in the screensavers folder?

1 - 20 of 32 Posts