Kindle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7,047 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just did a search for downloading on TT&T, and went through all pages but did not find my question.  I have a friend who is having problems with his brand spankin' new K2 and his computer talking nicely.  Can he buy his books on Amazon, then open his Amazon account on my computer and download to my computer (a Mac - his is a PC)  and then onto his kindle?  Is there some magic in his Manage my Media or the download section that allows that?  I looked but could not find it.

I suggested he contact via e-mail Kindle CS.  I can't remember exactly what his message was, but one was "do you wish to keep charging"?  Suggestions?

·
Registered
122 Posts
If he's buying from Amazon in the Kindle store, the books should be getting queued to be downloaded to his Kindle via Whispernet; it shouldn't involve hooking up his Kindle to a computer at all.

For books that you get emailed to you, all that's necessary is that he be able to access his email from your computer, or bring the files with him on a thumbdrive and do the transfer on your computer; the DRM doesn't prevent you from copying the files around (i.e., for making a local backup of your documents directory), it just prevents a file from being read on someone else's Kindle, so you can't have one person buy a copy of each book and pass around copies to all your friends.

·
Registered
9,368 Posts
Anju No. 469 said:
I just did a search for downloading on TT&T, and went through all pages but did not find my question. I have a friend who is having problems with his brand spankin' new K2 and his computer talking nicely. Can he buy his books on Amazon, then open his Amazon account on my computer and download to my computer (a Mac - his is a PC) and then onto his kindle? Is there some magic in his Manage my Media or the download section that allows that? I looked but could not find it.

I suggested he contact via e-mail Kindle CS. I can't remember exactly what his message was, but one was "do you wish to keep charging"? Suggestions?
The answer is yes, I do it all the time. I am in a crummy WN area and frequently download by computer. I have purchased books by computer at home, then gone to the office, connected to Manage My Account, then told it to download to computer and hooked up by USB and transferred there (most recently did this with the huge Cook's Illustrated file). The only downside to this that I haven't been able to get a definite answer from CS is whether this now counts as a second download for licensing purposes (I have been told yes and no).

·
Registered
7,047 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
srmalloy - we are both in Mexico - WN does not work here, unfortunately.

crebel - that's what I thought but was not too terribly sure, will try that if he is not able to do it at home.

Thanks y'all

·
Registered
8,913 Posts
It's under the Manage Your Kindle section of your account. Near the bottom of the page you will see a section like this:

Click the Download/Send to drop down to the right of each book title, then you will see the popup box as shown. Choose the appropriate Kindle, then download.

Drag and drop the resulting file into the Documents folder on the Kindle.

Downloading has nothing to do with creating extra licenses. The number of different devices you download to determines how many licenses you have used.

·
Registered
7,047 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks pidgeon92 - I had a feeling you would know  ;)  I have not been able to reach them today, and he said if he had problems he'd let me know today, so maybe all is ok.  I also referred him here to the kboards.com so maybe he figured it out here himself.

·
Registered
7,047 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
BTW - my friend got it all worked out, but I am glad to have this for future reference.

Thanks again y'all  :-*

1 - 7 of 7 Posts