Kindle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
26,676 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Lots of discussion questions since we're reading more chapters per week.  Let me remind you, and especially for those just joining us, you are under no obligation to answer the questions in order to join in the discussion.  You may answer all, some or none of the questions, or just respond to someone else's post.  You may discuss anything outside the questions as long as it is within the current chapter set.

Above all, have fun.  Let's go.

Part One--Dragonfly in Amber

Prologue

1.  What do you think was happening to Claire? 

"Through a Looking Glass, Darkly"
Chapter One:

1. When last we left Jamie and Claire, they had decided to go to Rome and Claire was pregnant.  What did you think as you read the first chapter of Dragonfly in Amber? 

2. First impressions of Roger Wakefield?

3. First impressions of Brianna Randall?

4. How does beginning the search affect Claire?

"And speaking their names as though to summon them, I began the first steps back, crossing the empty dark to where they waited." - Claire

Chapter Two:

“... finally a doubtful speculation from an aged farmer that the old parish records might have gone to the museum in Fort William, or maybe up to Inverness; there was a mnister up that way who collected such rubbish.”

1. How did you feel about the description of Broch Tuarach in ruins?

2. What did you think of Fiona Graham (compared to her grandmother)?

3. Why do you think we are getting most of this info so far through Roger's eyes and not Claire's?

4.  Why do you think Claire went pale when Briana said, “Oh, aye?” said Brianna sweetly, in a perfect imitation of his own slight scots burr.  “Well, we’ll hope it’s no a capital offense like murrderr, shall we?”

Chapter Three:

1. Why couldn't Claire take her daughter to see Culloden?

"I dropped peacefully into sleep, to dream of kilted Highland men, and the sound of soft-spoken
Scots, burring round a fire like the sound of bees in the heather." - Claire

Chapter Four:

1. We know Roger is attracted to Bree, but do you think she is attracted to him at this point?

2. At the end of the chapter, what did you think Claire's nightmare was about? ("...Not that I
remembered much about it, but I had a vague impression of hands that gripped me, rough and
urgent, not wooing but compelling. And a voice, nearly shouting, that echoed in the chambers of
my inner ear, along with the sound of my fading heartbeat." - Claire)

3. Whose voice does she hear? ("You are mine...Mine! And I will not let you go.")

Chapter Five:

1. What did you think of Roger and Bree's first kiss?

2.  What did you think Claire meant when she saw Randall’s gravestone and said, “Jonathan Wolverton Randall,” she said softly, “1705-1746.  I told you, didn’t I?  You bastard, I told you!”  How did you feel?

3. How did you feel when Claire found Jamie's gravestone at St. Kilda's?

4. First impressions of Claire's confession?

“Jamie was my heart and the breath of my body.”

5.  Does Brianna seem like she believes Claire about the time-travel?

Part Two--Dragonfly in Amber
"The Pretender"

Chapter Six:

1. What are your impressions of Claire and Jamie in this chapter?

"Oh, Claire, ye do break my heart wi' loving you." - Jamie

2. Was it difficult to imagine Jamie as an attendant to royalty (Charles Stuart)?

3. What did you think of the scene where Jamie returns to the inn completely drunk?

4. First impressions of Jared Munro Fraser?

5. What did you think when Claire decided to examine the sick sailor from The Patagonia?

6. First impressions of Monsieur le Comte (St. Germain)?

7. Do you think Claire is more aware of the danger posed by St. Germain than she has been of other dangers?

Chapter Seven:

1.. Do you think Jamie and Claire seem natural in Paris Society?

2. Impressions of the King's lever?

3.  What did you think of Charles Stuart?

4.  Forgetting what you know about history, do you think Jamie and Claire have any chance of at least altering history, if not changing it completely?

“It leaves me selling wine to bankers, Sassenach,” he said, yawning.”  And you talking to parlormaids.  And if we blow enough smoke, perhaps we’ll stun the bees.”

·
Registered
26,676 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·

Prologue

1. What do you think was happening to Claire?

It seemed like a dream, but was too real. I think Claire has a psychic connection to Jamie within her dreams.

Chapter One:

1. When last we left Jamie and Claire, they had decided to go to Rome and Claire was pregnant. What did you think as you read the first chapter of Dragonfly in Amber?

Uh, 1968? What were Claire and Brianna doing in Scotland in 1968? How did Bree come to be born in the U.S.? It was very confusing. As others have said, I had to double check to make sure I hadn't missed a book.

Ordinary, pleasant young man. Intelligent, polite. I couldn't remember at first who he was or why the story would start with him. Then I remembered he was Rev. Wakefields great-nephew and adopted son.

A bit immature and naive. Bree definitely doesn't have Claire's sophistication, but then she doesn't have Claire's experiences and background.

"And speaking their names as though to summon them, I began the first steps back, crossing the empty dark to where they waited." - Claire

I think she's summoning these men to take herself back to where she wants to be. Brianna is Claire's past and her present, and what keeps Claire anchored here.

Chapter Two:

"... finally a doubtful speculation from an aged farmer that the old parish records might have gone to the museum in Fort William, or maybe up to Inverness; there was a mnister up that way who collected such rubbish."

I'm not sure the house was in ruins, but the tower had obviously collapsed and the outbuildings, too. Roger didn't say for sure that the house was falling down; just that he felt might be unsafe to go inside.

Considering the state of the property, I would guess no Frasers had lived there for quite some time. Since the outbuildings were no longer usable, I'm also guessing Lallybroch was no longer a working estate.

Fiona seems to be just as domestic and efficient as her grandmother, but I don't think she's got Mrs. Graham's common sense. On the other hand, Fiona is only nineteen and has a lot of maturing left to do.

3. Why do you think we are getting most of this info so far through Roger's eyes and not Claire's?

The perspective is from the present, and Claire is going to color her observations with the past. Probably DG doesn't want us knowing what Claire is really up to.

4. Why do you think Claire went pale when Briana said, "Oh, aye?" said Brianna sweetly, in a perfect imitation of his own slight Scots burr. "Well, we'll hope it's no a capital offense like murrderr, shall we?"

It could be one of two reasons. Obviously, Bree looks a lot like Jamie, and hearing Jamie's Scots accent coming from Brianna must have been something of a shock. Or, it was the reference to murder which reminded Claire how Jamie had been sentenced to hang for murder.

Chapter Three:

"I dropped peacefully into sleep, to dream of kilted Highland men, and the sound of soft-spoken Scots, burring round a fire like the sound of bees in the heather." - Claire

Too many horrific memories. Can you imagine how she would feel seeing the Fraser and Mackenzie clan stones?

Chapter Four:

1. We know Roger is attracted to Bree, but do you think she is attracted to him at this point?

Just a bit. I'm sure Bree finds Roger attractive, but he's not her primary focus at this point.

2. At the end of the chapter, what did you think Claire's nightmare was about?

"...Not that I remembered much about it, but I had a vague impression of hands that gripped me, rough and urgent, not wooing but compelling. And a voice, nearly shouting, that echoed in the chambers of my inner ear, along with the sound of my fading heartbeat." - Claire

Not a nightmare, really. It's that psychic connection between them, when the veil of time is thinned by sleep.

3. Whose voice does she hear?

"You are mine...Mine! And I will not let you go."

It can only be Jamie.

Chapter Five:

It was rather tentative. More of the moment than any depth of feeling.

2. What did you think Claire meant when she saw Randall's gravestone and said, "Jonathan Wolverton Randall," she said softly, "1705-1746. I told you, didn't I? You bastard, I told you!" How did you feel?

Claire told Randall the date of his death when he put her out of Wentworth Prison. I was somewhat confused at that point. The date Jamie was rescued from Wentworth didn't tally with the date on the gravestone. I really felt Claire's satisfaction that she had upset Randall by predicting his death and having it come true. He died knowing that.

About the same as Claire. It was quite a surprise. Since she wasn't buried with him, maybe she went back through the stones when he died, and that's how she and Bree came to be in the present.

Claire didn't know what to say until she saw Jamie's grave. Then it came out simply and directly.

"Jamie was my heart and the breath of my body."

5. Does Brianna seem like she believes Claire about the time-travel?

Not at first, but then she starts asking questions as if she believes Claire, but wants to know more. I think her anger comes from a place where she really does believe Claire but wants to deny it.

"The Pretender"

Chapter Six:

Any man who can say that when his wife is throwing up every morning, really does love her.

2. Was it difficult to imagine Jamie as an attendant to royalty (Charles Stuart)?

Jamie is obviously used to tip-toeing through political minefields. He's also well-educated and a laird in his own right. Yes, I think he can do it.

3. What did you think of the scene where Jamie returns to the inn completely drunk?

Even funnier than his facts-of-life talk with Hamish.

A canny Scot. Like a lot of Scots, he probably went into exile with James III. He stayed in France and prospered there.

5. What did you think when Claire decided to examine the sick sailor from The Patagonia?

Oh, no. Not again. Will Claire never learn to stay out of the way? No. It just isn't her way.

A powerful man, used to getting his own way, and not to be crossed.

7. Do you think Claire is more aware of the danger posed by St. Germain than she has been of other dangers?

Yes. Once Jamie explained things to her, she was willing to stay in the Inn until things quieted down. That's quite a step for Claire.

Chapter Seven:

I think Jamie feels more natural. He did spend quite some time there, as a student with Jared and as a soldier. I don't think Claire feels at all natural. She's used to a more democratic society.

It's not always good to be the king. It's definitely not good to be the Duc de Neve. Jamie was right stay in the corner.

3. What did you think of Charles Stuart?

I know he had a toothache, but even so, he seems more interested in hunting and women than anything else. Although they are about the same age, Jamie seems more mature than Charles.

4. Forgetting what you know about history, do you think Jamie and Claire have any chance of at least altering history, if not changing it completely?

"It leaves me selling wine to bankers, Sassenach," he said, yawning." And you talking to parlormaids. And if we blow enough smoke, perhaps we'll stun the bees."

I think they might be able to stun a few bees and at least save some people.

On the other hand, if they don't interfere, will Charles be able to raise enough money to properly finance the Rising? By helping to dry up Charles' money and support, did they actually ensure the failure of the Rising?

·
Registered
1,073 Posts

Prologue

(I actually can't remember this right off.  Hmmm.)

Chapter One:

1. When last we left Jamie and Claire, they had decided to go to Rome and Claire was pregnant.  What did you think as you read the first chapter of Dragonfly in Amber? 

The Hell?  Did I miss a book?  They were in France, and headed to Rome?  How did we get here?  Why does everyone love this stupid series if she had to go back to Frank? UGH!

I was glad to see he had outgrown being the chubby little boy.  He seems nice, if fairly overwhelmed by all of the tasks before him.

A little spoiled.  A little modern.  Crap, she really doesn't look like Frank at all, does she?

Claire seems resigned.  She knows she's going to find out bad things, but it's like ripping off the band-aid, so to speak.

Chapter Two:

“... finally a doubtful speculation from an aged farmer that the old parish records might have gone to the museum in Fort William, or maybe up to Inverness; there was a mnister up that way who collected such rubbish.”

Awww.  Crap.  What happened to Jenny and Ian?  Did none of their sons have sons?  Really?  What about the potatoes?

I like Fiona.  She's very clear on what she wants (Roger) and when she wants it (now, please.).  She seems as doddering as her grandmother, but younger.  Also, it would appear that she's a good cook.  If nothing else, Roger won't go hungry.

I think Claire's head was in too much turmoil to turn out a coherent thought.  I mean, she's just lost one husband, and now she's coming back to Scotland to tell her daughter how she lost the other one, as soon as she can find out how it happened.  She's in no shape to tell this story.

4.  Why do you think Claire went pale when Briana said, “Oh, aye?” said Brianna sweetly, in a perfect imitation of his own slight scots burr.  “Well, we’ll hope it’s no a capital offense like murrderr, shall we?”
I think Claire thought "Crap!  I didn't know she could do that!  How did she pick up that burr so fast?  She sounds just like Jamie.  Does anyone have anything stronger than whiskey?"

Chapter Three:

She'd been there, she knew it was a hopeless cause when she left.  She didn't want to see the mass graves of men she knew and cared for and lived with.  And, possibly, Culloden might be just as noisy to her as the stones were.

"I dropped peacefully into sleep, to dream of kilted Highland men, and the sound of soft-spoken

Chapter Four:

1. We know Roger is attracted to Bree, but do you think she is attracted to him at this point?  Probably not, but he's new and interesting.

2. At the end of the chapter, what did you think Claire's nightmare was about? ("...Not that I
remembered much about it, but I had a vague impression of hands that gripped me, rough and
urgent, not wooing but compelling. And a voice, nearly shouting, that echoed in the chambers of
I thought it was either the argument she had with Jamie about going back to her own time, or the very brief run-in with the English soldiers she had at the stones.

3. Whose voice does she hear? ("You are mine...Mine! And I will not let you go.")
Jamie's.

Chapter Five:

1. What did you think of Roger and Bree's first kiss?  Awww.  Poor Roger.  Now he's going to be completely hooked.

2.  What did you think Claire meant when she saw Randall’s gravestone and said, “Jonathan Wolverton Randall,” she said softly, “1705-1746.  I told you, didn’t I?  You bastard, I told you!”  How did you feel?  Relived.  Finally!  The bad guy is well and truly dead.

WHY DOES EVERYONE LOVE THIS STOOPID SERIES?!?!  WHAT AM I READING THIS MESS FOR?  FIRST 1968, NOW THIS????  THESE PEOPLE ARE SADISTS, I TELL YOU!!!  TOTAL SADISTS!  I DON'T CARE WHAT IT COSTS, I'M GOING TO DOWNLOAD THE CHRISTOPHER MOORE BOOK NOW.  Stoopid present times.
I bet she's confused.  I bet there's a lot more coming, too.  But then, I was confused in this section myself.  I thought the church they were at was near Culloden.  Weren't Randall and Jamie in the same cemetary?  I figured that one had chased the other to the church, and they duelled to the death.

No.  And I think she blames Claire for Frank's death, and that Claire is just trying to mess with her head, telling Brianna that Frank is not her father, and additionally, Claire may be insane.

"The Pretender"

Chapter Six:

No.  He had been educated in France, and was at least familiar with the concept, even he tended to favor a more sporting life.

Wow.  It must take a LOT of alcohol to get a 6'4" Scottish man that reeling drunk.

I liked Jared.  He's a man with a good head for business, even if he is backing the wrong horse.  And I like that he sees business potential in Jamie.

RUN AWAY!  This is just a plot point we can do without!  You've already narrowly avoided being burned for a witch once, have you learned nothing woman?

Ah.  A new very bad guy.

No.  She seems to be oblivious to danger to her person.  Maybe that's a natural consequence of working in a hospital near the front lines.  She doesn't get it until she sees the bodyguards.

Chapter Seven:

Well, they seem to be accepted into it with very few questions, at any rate.  Although I imagine that Claire raises a number of eyebrows with her 20th century habits and manners.  Also, she does not seem to favor the outrageous style of dress employed by other women we meet.

This has got to be one of the dullest parties on the planet.  Especially if you only have a passing familiarity with the people who are being gossiped about.  I imagine that Claire is fairly impatient to get the ball rolling, and Jamie sympathizes to a degree, but knows that there's a lot of foreplay involved in an undertaking like this.

Really?  Does his father have no control over him?  Whiney snivelling stubborn sot.  Why would anyone follow this guy, let alone give him money?  I bet something hurts on him all the time.  But it's never ever his conscience.

4.  Forgetting what you know about history, do you think Jamie and Claire have any chance of at least altering history, if not changing it completely?
Not unless they shoot Charles Stuart.  And I'm all in favor of that.  They need a much bolder plan of action.  I mean, I see why they're doing it the way they are, going in quietly, assimilating themselves into society.  However, some people just don't understand subtelty.

“It leaves me selling wine to bankers, Sassenach,” he said, yawning.”  And you talking to parlormaids.  And if we blow enough smoke, perhaps we’ll stun the bees.”

·
Registered
26,676 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
robin.goodfellow said:
A little spoiled. A little modern. Crap, she really doesn't look like Frank at all, does she?
Funny, Brianna doesn't see that there's no resemblance between her and Frank or Claire, but Roger sees it.

She'd been there, she knew it was a hopeless cause when she left. She didn't want to see the mass graves of men she knew and cared for and lived with. And, possibly, Culloden might be just as noisy to her as the stones were.
Wow. The clan stones are ... stones. Yes, they just might speak to Claire and if it was me, I'd be terrified of what I would hear.

2. What did you think Claire meant when she saw Randall's gravestone and said, "Jonathan Wolverton Randall," she said softly, "1705-1746. I told you, didn't I? You bastard, I told you!" How did you feel? Relived. Finally! The bad guy is well and truly dead.
Yeah, it wasn't enough that 200 years had passed to know he was dead. Had to see that Randall was actually buried. Let's dig him up and run DNA tests just to make sure.

WHY DOES EVERYONE LOVE THIS STOOPID SERIES?!?! WHAT AM I READING THIS MESS FOR? FIRST 1968, NOW THIS???? THESE PEOPLE ARE SADISTS, I TELL YOU!!! TOTAL SADISTS! I DON'T CARE WHAT IT COSTS, I'M GOING TO DOWNLOAD THE CHRISTOPHER MOORE BOOK NOW. Stoopid present times.
You're right about that. So many unaswered questions at this point?

I bet she's confused. I bet there's a lot more coming, too. But then, I was confused in this section myself. I thought the church they were at was near Culloden. Weren't Randall and Jamie in the same cemetary? I figured that one had chased the other to the church, and they duelled to the death.
Yes, St. Kilda's wasn't far from Culloden. Duel to the death in the churchyard. What a great title for a book!

This is why we love this series.

Wow. It must take a LOT of alcohol to get a 6'4" Scottish man that reeling drunk.
That's one of the scenes I had to highlight. Too funny.

Really? Does his father have no control over him? Whiney snivelling stubborn sot. Why would anyone follow this guy, let alone give him money? I bet something hurts on him all the time. But it's never ever his conscience.
Natural for a wedgie. ;D

·
Registered
677 Posts

Prologue

I think her mind was jumping back and forth to the times she lived in.

Chapter One:

I wondered if I had started to wrong book. It was very confusing, and I expected Roger to find some records of Jamie and Claire

Very bookish man. Although he was a historian, he wasn’t as driven as Frank.

Definitely Jamie’s daughter. She looked and acted so much like him.

Claire is being pulled back to Jamie and her life with him. I think she has to make this connection in order to be able to deal with telling Bree the truth.

Chapter Two:

It was sad to read about the tower being in ruins. I thought it interesting that Roger wondered about how a round tower could face north. Hadn’t Claire asked the same thing when Jamie took her to Lallybroch?

She was a wonderful housekeeper, but was not calm and reserved like her grandmother. I wonder if she was part of the dancers like her grandmother?

Claire’s thoughts would reveal why she was on this search. This also shows how Roger is being pulled into Claire’s search.

She sounded too much like Jamie. Also, Jamie had be arrested for murder 2 times. It just hit too close to home.

Chapter Three:

Jamie’s men would have been there, and Claire was not prepared to deal with seeing the stones with the Fraser and MacKenzie names on them.

Chapter Four:

She thinks he is nice, and maybe she is attracted because he is different from guys in America.

She is reliving the night Jamie gave her his ring. That is the point at which they were truly married, and Jamie showed she was his.

This is what Jamie had said to her as they were having sex that night.

Chapter Five:

Seemed appropriate for a first kiss, since they were still getting acquainted and really weren’t sure what the other one thought.

2.  What did you think Claire meant when she saw Randall’s gravestone and said, “Jonathan Wolverton Randall,” she said softly, “1705-1746.  I told you, didn’t I?  You bastard, I told you!”  How did you feel?
Just before Randall shoved Claire out the door at Wentworth, she told him she was going to curse him and told him exactly when he would die. It was sort of creepy, but showed Claire’s utter hatred for Randall.
I wonder if, because Frank thought so highly of his ancestor, Claire’s hatred of Randall was another problem keeping Claire and Frank from being a couple. Remember, she tells Bree that they respected each other, but indicated that the marriage was not a happy one. Also, did she see Black Jack everytime she looked at Frank?

How did he die? Did he and Randall kill each other? I wanted to cry (actually, I did get weepy).

She did sound a little out of her head. But, she felt she had to explain why she had such a drastic reaction to Jamie’s grave. She had not expected to find it there. Also, She finally had to deal with losing him permanently.

No. She is a very practical person, and that does not leave room for imagination. Also, to be told the man that raised you was not your father, rather a man who lived 200 years ago? That is a bit much take in.

"The Pretender"

Chapter Six:

They have settled into married life and are completely comfortable with each other. Especially after Claire vomits and then she and Jamie go back to bed together. Most husbands would definitely not be in the mood.

Not really. He was well-educated and had spent time in France and was familiar with the customs of court.

I laughed. Jamie is definitely a sweet drunk. Even funnier was the next morning when Claire tells him about how he got in the bed and that all he could say was that he loved her. He was embarrassed.

Very sharp business man.

She was being Claire. She was a nurse and felt it her duty to help anyone who needed her.

French version of Black Jack. Definitely someone to stay away from.

No. I think she still forgets what time she is living in.

Chapter Seven:

Jamie is more comfortable than Claire. She is a modern woman and has to keep reminding herself what society was like.

How awful to not be able to go to the bathroom in private. Way too much ceremony.

An immature young man who feels entitled.

If anyone can accomplish this, it will be Jamie and Claire.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Prologue
It seemed as if she was talking about going through the stones again, which just told me that things were definately not going according to plan.

1. When last we left Jamie and Claire, they had decided to go to Rome and Claire was pregnant. What did you think as you read the first chapter of Dragonfly in Amber?
I loved it - obviously, something BIG had happened, and it just made me want to read faster to find out what. I guess I had the benefit of knowing that there were 4 more books to read after this one, and that it had to be more to it than just her hanging out and growing old in the 18th century.

2. First impressions of Roger Wakefield? Seems to be a likeable chap. Then I thought, poor guy, he's besotted with Brianna, and if Jamies experiences with Claire were any indication, Roger's got his work cut out for him.

3. First impressions of Brianna Randall? I didn't pay alot of attention to her, other than the fact that she existed and was obviously Jamie's daughter. Kept wondering what she already knew - seemed an odd thing for her not to question WHY her mother was so interested in a list of names that would have been childs play for her 'father' to have researched, and why Claire would have gone to all that trouble out of the blue, two whole years after he died.

4. How does beginning the search affect Claire? I think it upsets her equilibrium - she probably steeled herself not to over-react to whatever she finds out, but her plan isn't working, and she's feeling alot more than she was prepared to feel.

Chapter Two:
1. How did you feel about the description of Broch Tuarach in ruins? I wouldn't have expected it otherwise; there aren't many places that would survive 200 years unless they were historically significant, and that was really just a family farm. I was surprised that there was a realtor sign there, though - wondered who the present owners were. I was disappointed that Roger didn't 'find' anything 'interesting' (to us, I mean).

2. What did you think of Fiona Graham (compared to her grandmother)? Didn't see alot of resemblance, all I could think was, oh no, Fiona's got a thing for Roger, but Roger's got a thing for Brianna, this can't end well.

3. Why do you think we are getting most of this info so far through Roger's eyes and not Claire's? We aren't allowed to know what's been going on with Claire for the past 20 years yet - that would be too easy!

4. Why do you think Claire went pale when Briana said, "Oh, aye?" said Brianna sweetly, in a perfect imitation of his own slight scots burr. "Well, we'll hope it's no a capital offense like murrderr, shall we?" Well, I doubt that Scottish anscestry and accents have come up very often with Frank around, so it's probably the first time Claire had ever heard Brianna speak that way - who knows how long it's been for her to hear anybody speak that way! So it probably freaked her out a little.

Chapter Three:
1. Why couldn't Claire take her daughter to see Culloden? Well, she tells Roger that Jamie Fraser died at Culloden; no way can she go there with two people who don't know what the real story is, and hide her feelings from them.

Chapter Four:
1. We know Roger is attracted to Bree, but do you think she is attracted to him at this point? seems like a little; but you don't know if it's for real or if she is just reacting to his obvious attentions to her.

2. At the end of the chapter, what did you think Claire's nightmare was about? Nightmare??!! What Nightmare??? We should all be so lucky to have nightmares like that!

3. Whose voice does she hear? ("You are mine...Mine! And I will not let you go.") ...see answer to #2 - it sure as hell wasn't Frank!

Chapter Five:
1. What did you think of Roger and Bree's first kiss? very nice - it was just enough to let each other know that there is an interest there, without anybody becoming embarassed.

2. What did you think Claire meant when she saw Randall's gravestone and said, "Jonathan Wolverton Randall," she said softly, "1705-1746. I told you, didn't I? You bastard, I told you!" How did you feel? I didn't understand why she was so upset - and a little confused because didn't he get trampled by cows way before that?? hmmm...

3. How did you feel when Claire found Jamie's gravestone at St. Kilda's? OK!! NOW we'll have it out! Put on the coffee, it's going to be a long night!

4. First impressions of Claire's confession? Best laid plans of mothers and time-travelers oft go awry? If she was planning on spilling the beans in a more rational way, so much for that!

robin.goodfellow said:
I thought the church they were at was near Culloden. Weren't Randall and Jamie in the same cemetary? I figured that one had chased the other to the church, and they duelled to the death.
I also thought the exact same thing. I guess he didn't get trampled by cows afterall?? ***read faster! read faster!***

5. Does Brianna seem like she believes Claire about the time-travel? Hardly. I mean, would you??

tlshaw said:
Also, to be told the man that raised you was not your father, rather a man who lived 200 years ago? That is a bit much take in.
Exactly. A Double Whammy when either one would be worth several years in therapy.

"The Pretender"
Chapter Six:
1. What are your impressions of Claire and Jamie in this chapter? Poor guy... knowing how randy he was in the first book, it showed considerable self-restraint for him to not want to 'hurt' the baby!!

... I know why we love these books so much - Has any man, in the history of the world and all literature ever written, ever talked about his feelings as much as Jamie does??? ...and such nice feelings!!

2. Was it difficult to imagine Jamie as an attendant to royalty (Charles Stuart)? A little - I didn't think he had that much experience with court politics, and I was hoping they weren't just humoring him because he was 'exotic'.

tlshaw said:
when Claire tells him about how he got in the bed and that all he could say was that he loved her.
well, that's not all he did… so he must not have been THAT drunk! ...or else he has a very high metabolism for alcohol!

4. First impressions of Jared Munro Fraser? Thank goodness the uncles on the Fraser side are decent human beings!

5. What did you think when Claire decided to examine the sick sailor from The Patagonia? oh no, not again...

6. First impressions of Monsieur le Comte (St. Germain)? *[email protected][email protected]%#^!&*

Chapter Seven:
3. What did you think of Charles Stuart? what a useless fancy-pants.

4. Forgetting what you know about history, do you think Jamie and Claire have any chance of at least altering history, if not changing it completely?
gertiekindle said:
On the other hand, if they don’t interfere, will Charles be able to raise enough money to properly finance the Rising? By helping to dry up Charles’ money and support, did they actually ensure the failure of the Rising?
That's exactly what I was thinking. Which still means they have to do what they supposedly already did. (?)

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
I also thought the exact same thing. I guess he didn't get trampled by cows afterall?? ***read faster! read faster!***
I had forgotten the cattle stampede. I remember thinking at the time that it was like they say in soap operas:
If you haven't seen the body, they aren't really dead.

·
Registered
26,676 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
bosslady said:

That's exactly what I was thinking. Which still means they have to do what they supposedly already did. (?)
There are two theories of time travel and that's one of them; a continuous time loop.

The other is that, yes, events can be changed by going back in time. Then when you go back to the future, you will see that events have changed.

My first time travel novel, Time and Again by Jack Finney, involved a government project. They recruited several people to try the experiment. At one point, they wanted to shut down the project because someone had traveled back and when he returned to the future, someone he knew had completely disappeared. The theory was that he had done something in the past that made that person disappear.

Back to DiA. Claire gave Roger a list of names to research, and they all survived Culloden. In 1945/46, Claire didn't know anything about those people. In that case, she has no idea if she saved them with her foreknowledge, or if Jamie, seeing they were doomed, decided on his own to send them home.

Anyone have a headache, yet?

·
Registered
261 Posts
gertiekindle said:
There are two theories of time travel and that's one of them; a continuous time loop.
The other is that, yes, events can be changed by going back in time. Then when you go back to the future, you will see that events have changed.
Back to DiA. Claire gave Roger a list of names to research, and they all survived Culloden. In 1945/46, Claire didn't know anything about those people. In that case, she has no idea if she saved them with her foreknowledge, or if Jamie, seeing they were doomed, decided on his own to send them home.
Let's see if I can comment without spoilers;

... no, I can't. Back to the spoiler thread!

·
Registered
339 Posts
gertiekindle said:
Prologue

gertiekindle said:
Chapter One:

1. At first, I thought I was reading the wrong book. As I discovered it was the correct read, I guess I kinda felt slighted, expecting to see more of Jamie and Claire. I guess I was also a little sad, at the knowledge that Claire had been apart from Jamie for 20 years. :(
2. I think I was using his 'Dad' as my guide and envisioned him as a homely historian. "Mmmph" as Roger would say!
3. Jamie as a young girl.
4. It seemed to bring the people she used to know almost back to life.

gertiekindle said:
Chapter Two:

"... finally a doubtful speculation from an aged farmer that the old parish records might have gone to the museum in Fort William, or maybe up to Inverness; there was a mnister up that way who collected such rubbish."

4. Why do you think Claire went pale when Briana said, "Oh, aye?" said Brianna sweetly, in a perfect imitation of his own slight scots burr. "Well, we'll hope it's no a capital offense like murrderr, shall we?"
1. Sad to think that no one made it the 200 years to maintain it.
2. Fiona seems a little desperate and not nearly as confident as her grandmother.
3. I wondered that too...possibly to gauge Claire's actions or maybe to make sure not too much was given away. Possibly also to endear us to Roger.
4. Probably sounded like Jamie.

gertiekindle said:
Chapter Three:

1. I think she wants Bree to know about her Father and the sacrifice that he made for them at Culloden before she takes her there.

gertiekindle said:
Chapter Four:

1. Still unsure.
2. I think it was Jamie calling to her across time and space.
3. Ditto!

·
Registered
339 Posts
OK...took a breath and here's the rest!

gertiekindle said:
Chapter Five:

2. What did you think Claire meant when she saw Randall's gravestone and said, "Jonathan Wolverton Randall," she said softly, "1705-1746. I told you, didn't I? You bastard, I told you!" How did you feel?

5. Does Brianna seem like she believes Claire about the time-travel?
1. I am always kinda embarrassed by first kisses...you can feel the awkwardness!
2. At first I wondered if she created a different future (from the 1700s) but came back to the history she left. And then I thought that maybe she was always a part of the history and future and that since we never actually saw Randall's body, and the person who claimed him dead was not necessarily someone who knew what Randall looked like...maybe Randall didn't die in the prison. OH CRAP!
3. I felt like something didn't go as planned and that Claire 'wasted' the 20 years apart from Jamie if he didn't die at Culloden.
4. I felt like it was the best way to describe their relationship. He was not merely her husband, but her all. Ahhh...
5. Heck no. We live in a time of science and I don't think she could see how it would be possible. She probably thought Claire, at best, delusional.

gertiekindle said:
"The Pretender"

Chapter Six:

2. Not really, I think he was being raised to be a man of influence. Laird and learned man was what his family wanted for him.
3. A huge Scot, weaned on whisky, drunk...this must have taken a vat or two to accomplish. Just don't show me the bill!
4. Impressive business mind, with a heart for his kin.
5. I could really see her head strong nature in this act. Damned the consequences, she would do what she felt was right!
6. Brrr...shivers down my spine. Eak, this is the man Claire pissed off.
7. I think she may have seen a direct link between her actions and the perils of danger that they may have lead to a little clearer.

gertiekindle said:
Chapter Seven:

"It leaves me selling wine to bankers, Sassenach," he said, yawning." And you talking to parlormaids. And if we blow enough smoke, perhaps we'll stun the bees."
1. Yes and no. I think they are both so adept that it doesn't seem like something they can't pull off, but yet so unnatural a setting for a warrior Scot and his Healer wife. I feel like they will do well, but that it may not be their favorite setting to be in.
2. Crazy...kinda reminds me of the beginning of the movie "Coming to America".
3. Entitled brat with not enough sense to know his own limitations. Auch...
4. Sure...butterfly effect.

·
Registered
1,303 Posts

Prologue

She was dreaming of Jamie, and missing him.

Chapter One:

I missed a book.  Even after having read the series before I felt that way!

I adore Roger!  He’s such a guy.  Knowing the clearing out of the Reverend’s stuff HAS to be done, but avoiding it as best he can.

When DG first introduced Bree she was hiding behind her mother at Roger’s door.  She must have also been down a step or two, considering she’s taller than Claire.

She’s excited to find out what happened to her friends.

Chapter Two:

Sad, and I wondered what happened that Jenny and Ian’s descendants didn’t keep it up.

Fiona makes me laugh.  Her not-so-subtle chasing of Roger is hilarious!

I think DG need to set Roger up as a main character right off the bat, and to let us see how he was beginning to feel about Bree.

She probably sounded like Jamie, who had been accused of “murrderr.”

Chapter Four:

I think she is, he’s a cute, slightly older guy… with a sexy accent!

I felt like it was Jamie, trying to tell her he didn’t die at Culloden and to come back to him!

Chapter Five:

Awwwww…

She told JWR at the prison that he would die at Culloden, seeing his grave had to bring out some of the hatred she felt for him.  And Neener-neener-neener wouldn’t have had the same impact.

I wanted to cry.

Everyone should have a love like that.  Sigh…

No way, she thinks Mom had taken a trip down Looney Lane!  ;D

"The Pretender"

Chapter Six:

"Oh, Claire, ye do break my heart wi' loving you." – Jamie

See my answer to #4 from chapter 5.

I got a bit annoyed at her.  Jamie tells her to stay back but she just does what she wants without thought of the consequences.  She put them in danger because she didn’t turn around and ask WHY she shouldn’t go.  :mad:

Butthead.

Not right away.  Probably once the ship was burned…

Chapter Seven:

LOL!  Not one bit!  ;D

Having read “To Dance With Kings” recently I knew about this odd tradition.  I think it’s BIZARRE and I would hate having a bunch of people around when I first wake up.  Not to mention the whole idea of going to the bathroom in front of them!  ICK.  NOR would I want to WATCH anyone!  :p

·
Registered
677 Posts
robin.goodfellow said:
The Hell? Did I miss a book? They were in France, and headed to Rome? How did we get here? Why does everyone love this stupid series if she had to go back to Frank? UGH!

WHY DOES EVERYONE LOVE THIS STOOPID SERIES?!?! WHAT AM I READING THIS MESS FOR? FIRST 1968, NOW THIS???? THESE PEOPLE ARE SADISTS, I TELL YOU!!! TOTAL SADISTS! I DON'T CARE WHAT IT COSTS, I'M GOING TO DOWNLOAD THE CHRISTOPHER MOORE BOOK NOW. Stoopid present times.
Robin;
Hope you have now had time to read more of the book, and you will see why it keeps pulling you back. don't give up! :)

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
So... now that I've had a chance to read the earlier pages I see I have very few original thoughts!  AARRRRRRGGGH!

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
tlshaw said:
Robin;
Hope you have now had time to read more of the book, and you will see why it keeps pulling you back. don't give up! :)
I have, thanks! I'm on to Drums of Autumn now.

·
Registered
26,676 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
SongbirdVB said:

Fiona makes me laugh. Her not-so-subtle chasing of Roger is hilarious!
Kinda made me squirm. She's soooo obvious and Roger is so obviously (as you put it) a guy. Fiona has him on the run.

I think DG need to set Roger up as a main character right off the bat, and to let us see how he was beginning to feel about Bree.
Good thought. I hadn't looked at it that way.

I felt like it was Jamie, trying to tell her he didn't die at Culloden and to come back to him!
(sniffle)

She told JWR at the prison that he would die at Culloden, seeing his grave had to bring out some of the hatred she felt for him. And Neener-neener-neener wouldn't have had the same impact.
;D ;D ;D

Having read "To Dance With Kings" recently I knew about this odd tradition. I think it's BIZARRE and I would hate having a bunch of people around when I first wake up. Not to mention the whole idea of going to the bathroom in front of them! ICK. NOR would I want to WATCH anyone! :p
To Dance With Kings was one of my first Kindle books (32 cents). I really liked it. As I'm reading this weeks chapters, I'm thinking back to that book and what she wrote about Louis XV.

SongbirdVB said:
So... now that I've had a chance to read the earlier pages I see I have very few original thoughts! AARRRRRRGGGH!
See my responses above.

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
gertiekindle said:
To Dance With Kings was one of my first Kindle books (32 cents). I really liked it. As I'm reading this weeks chapters, I'm thinking back to that book and what she wrote about Louis XV.

It was one of my first K books as well (who could pass up a book for 32 cents?!) and I was surprised how much I liked it. Now my sister is reading it. Gives a whole new perspective of that time/place in history.

Question to those of you with K2's... How does the text-to-speech deal with Gaelic? ;D

1 - 20 of 73 Posts