Kindle Forum banner

21 - 40 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
gertiekindle said:
I thought they did away with the text-to-speech. If I'm wrong, Heather (luvmy4brats) has the K2 and I know she has Outlander. Maybe she'll check it for us.
Amazon is still showing it as a feature...

·
Registered
339 Posts
gertiekindle said:
I thought they did away with the text-to-speech. If I'm wrong, Heather (luvmy4brats) has the K2 and I know she has Outlander. Maybe she'll check it for us.
Text to speech will be offered dependent on the Author's/Publisher's wishes. I am not sure how this will affect books already downloaded though.

·
Registered
677 Posts
Gertie:
Did everyone else abandon Claire and Jamie? I have been looking forward to reading everyone's opinions, and have been disappointed that more haven't posted. Oh well, I know several are doing multiple klubs. I really wanted to hear Mike's take on the events in France.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I had a hugely busy week and just now had time to sit, think and write. Lots of questions to answer. Here goes from me....

Prologue

1. What do you think was happening to Claire?

I thought she was dreaming but I wasn't sure if she was dreaming of things that had already happened or things that were to come.

"Through a Looking Glass, Darkly"
Chapter One:

1. When last we left Jamie and Claire, they had decided to go to Rome and Claire was pregnant. What did you think as you read the first chapter of Dragonfly in Amber?

UGGHHH! I felt like I was watching a Lost episode. I was also reminded a bit of the movie The Lake House (Keanu Reeves and Sandra Bullock played the main characters). Wouldn't it be great if Claire and Jamie could communicate through letters placed in the stones the way Alex and Kate communicated across time with letters in the mailbox in Lake House? Anyone remember that movie?

2. First impressions of Roger Wakefield?

He seems likable enough and intelligent.

3. First impressions of Brianna Randall?

Physically she resembles Jamie. She seems young and as though she has had an easy life and maybe a sheltered life. She definitely did not have a childhood like Claire's.

4. How does beginning the search affect Claire?

"And speaking their names as though to summon them, I began the first steps back, crossing the empty dark to where they waited." - Claire

I think it is a long time coming. She is going to have to confront some obviously long buried feelings. I was surprised that she didn't already know what had happened to them. I could not have gone all those years without wondering and trying to find out what had happened.

Chapter Two:

"... finally a doubtful speculation from an aged farmer that the old parish records might have gone to the museum in Fort William, or maybe up to Inverness; there was a minister up that way who collected such rubbish."

1. How did you feel about the description of Broch Tuarach in ruins?

Sad to think of it, but it had been a long time. I was wondering what happened to subsequent generations of Frasers. Surely someone must have survived and carried on the family name.

2. What did you think of Fiona Graham (compared to her grandmother)?

Seemed very young and a bit desperate for a husband. Interesting that she had picked up where her grandmother left off in employment. Did she not have the opportunity to get an education or had she chosen to follow in her grandmother's footsteps?

3. Why do you think we are getting most of this info so far through Roger's eyes and not Claire's?

I think that if we were hearing more of Claire's voice, we would be gaining information that DG isn't ready to reveal to us.

4. Why do you think Claire went pale when Briana said, "Oh, aye?" said Brianna sweetly, in a perfect imitation of his own slight scots burr. "Well, we'll hope it's no a capital offense like murrderr, shall we?"

I imagine it brought on a rush of memories that she was trying to keep burried for the past 20 years.

Chapter Three:

1. Why couldn't Claire take her daughter to see Culloden?

"I dropped peacefully into sleep, to dream of kilted Highland men, and the sound of soft-spoken
Scots, burring round a fire like the sound of bees in the heather." - Claire

Jamie had fought there and died there. She didn't know if the men on her list had died there. Bree didn't yet know anything about Jamie and I think Claire would not have been able to hide her feelings from Bree if she was standing at Culloden with her.

Chapter Four:

1. We know Roger is attracted to Bree, but do you think she is attracted to him at this point?

I think that she is superficially attracted to him. Clair talked about Bree's boyfriends back home. It sounds like Bree is enjoying her youth and isn't looking for a serious attachment.

2. At the end of the chapter, what did you think Claire's nightmare was about? ("...Not that I
remembered much about it, but I had a vague impression of hands that gripped me, rough and
urgent, not wooing but compelling. And a voice, nearly shouting, that echoed in the chambers of
my inner ear, along with the sound of my fading heartbeat." - Claire)

Dreaming about Jamie but not sure of the exact circumstances.

3. Whose voice does she hear? ("You are mine...Mine! And I will not let you go.")

She will only ever belong to one man…Jamie.

Chapter Five:

1. What did you think of Roger and Bree's first kiss?

Didn't think much about it really.

2. What did you think Claire meant when she saw Randall's gravestone and said, "Jonathan Wolverton Randall," she said softly, "1705-1746. I told you, didn't I? You bastard, I told you!" How did you feel?

She had "predicted" the date of his death when he shoved her out of the prison. Obviously she hadn't altered the date of his death with her presence in the past. He obviously hadn't died in the stampede.

3. How did you feel when Claire found Jamie's gravestone at St. Kilda's?

Shocked. Shouldn't he be buried in the mass graves on the battle field. I thought the same thing she though…what the hell is he doing buried there? I was also angry with Frank. If the Reverend had sent him the letter telling him he found Randall's grave, then surely he also told him Jamie's grave was in the same place. Why didn't Frank ever tell Claire? Seems like a pretty selfish chap to me.

4. First impressions of Claire's confession?

"Jamie was my heart and the breath of my body."

She hadn't planned her confession at that time and so it really came from a place of raw emotion. Her memories of Frank's reaction to the truth struck me. You really see the difference in the feelings Jamie has for Claire and the feelings Frank had for her. I think that Jamie is more than her heart and breath of her body. Their connection goes deeper into the soul and spirit. I was angry that Frank would not allow Claire to tell Bree about Jamie. Again, so selfish. He didn't want her to know he was her biological father as long as he was alive. It seems he did that more for himself than out of love or concern for Bree.

5. Does Brianna seem like she believes Claire about the time-travel?

Are you kidding me?

Part Two--Dragonfly in Amber
"The Pretender"

Chapter Six:

1. What are your impressions of Claire and Jamie in this chapter?

"Oh, Claire, ye do break my heart wi' loving you." - Jamie

They seem like a young married couple. You tend to forget about all the hell they have been through to get to this point. Again I was reminded of how much he wants to protect Claire and take care of her.

2. Was it difficult to imagine Jamie as an attendant to royalty (Charles Stuart)?

Yes and no. Yes because it seems that both he and Claire would be more comfortable sitting on the back of a horse, than sitting next to the throne. On the other hand Jamie is intelligent, educated, and had been a soldier.

3. What did you think of the scene where Jamie returns to the inn completely drunk?

Hysterical.

4. First impressions of Jared Munro Fraser?

Intelligent, gifted business man, loyal to Jamie.

5. What did you think when Claire decided to examine the sick sailor from The Patagonia?

Here we go again. Can't she ever leave well enough alone??

6. First impressions of Monsieur le Comte (St. Germain)?

Oh no, not another creep.

7. Do you think Claire is more aware of the danger posed by St. Germain than she has been of other dangers?

I think that Claire is often aware of the dangers but she doesn't let that stop her. I can't decide if she is brave, nuts, or doesn't take long enough to think before she acts.

Chapter Seven:

1.. Do you think Jamie and Claire seem natural in Paris Society?

I think that they were able to fit into Paris Society, but I don't think either one of them are truly comfortable there. They are playing the roles they need to play. I think they both feel a bit stifled there in the city.

2. Impressions of the King's lever?

Ummm…eww!

3. What did you think of Charles Stuart?

He seems immature and a bit self centered. He doesn't strike me as very "kingly."

4. Forgetting what you know about history, do you think Jamie and Claire have any chance of at least altering history, if not changing it completely?

"It leaves me selling wine to bankers, Sassenach," he said, yawning." And you talking to parlormaids. And if we blow enough smoke, perhaps we'll stun the bees."

I guess they have as good a chance as anybody. Ultimately they really only can control their own actions. The question is how big of an impact can their actions make in the big scheme of things. Only time will tell.

·
Registered
26,676 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
tlshaw said:
Gertie:
Did everyone else abandon Claire and Jamie? I have been looking forward to reading everyone's opinions, and have been disappointed that more haven't posted. Oh well, I know several are doing multiple klubs. I really wanted to hear Mike's take on the events in France.
I think many people rushed through Outlander, and are rushing through the rest of the series rather than posting here.

The same thing happened to Mike in his Book Klub. Everyone read it fast. Actually, I finished In Her Name the other night and there are still about three weeks to go. I'm still keeping up with the Klub because it's great to talk to the author (although Mike claims his fingers are the actual author ;)).

I know Harvey and Mike intend to read DiA. I hope they find the time to post.

·
Registered
224 Posts
When last we left Jamie and Claire, they had decided to go to Rome and Claire was pregnant. What did you think as you read the first chapter of Dragonfly in Amber?

I'm a little behind on reading but based on comments posted here, I knew something odd was going to happen at the beginning of the book, so I wasn't too surprised. I was actually quite happy that she had returned to modern times. I had hoped in Outlander that there might be some going back and forth between the past and present because I wanted to know what was going on with Frank all of this time. I love the added depth of the story by bringing her back with her grown child, then exploring the past from a modern viewpoint.

First impressions of Roger Wakefield?
I kept going back to the description of him in Outlander when he was a small boy, unobtrusively curled in an armchair. I remember liking him then and now feeling like he would be a likable grown-up.

First impressions of Brianna Randall?

Gorgeous, intelligent, and a wonderful constant rememberance of Jamie for Claire. I liked that the author presented Brianna and Claire in a typical mother/daughter relationship. The exasperated "Mother!" references were very authentic and made me laugh.

How does beginning the search affect Claire?

Only an extremely emotionally strong person could handle an expedition like this. Claire has proven herself to be this, yet she is overcome with emotion much more than she anticipated.

How did you feel about the description of Broch Tuarach in ruins?

Devastated for Claire. It also made me think of two things. 1. The Chronicles of Narnia, when the children go back to find Narnia in ruins. 2. My own home which is 130 years old and what it would look like if those years had gone by in complete neglect. It certainly was not made of stone and probably wouldn't be here.

What did you think of Fiona Graham (compared to her grandmother)?

She's flighty, but she's 19. I am still hoping that we will find out that her grandmother passed along some secrets to her. Also - "Wake up - He's just not that into you!"

Why do you think we are getting most of this info so far through Roger's eyes and not Claire's?

I didn't notice this until reading this question. I don't know the reason why but I enjoyed reading his perspective. It adds validity to Claire's story.

Why do you think Claire went pale when Briana said, "Oh, aye?" said Brianna sweetly, in a perfect imitation of his own slight scots burr. "Well, we'll hope it's no a capital offense like murrderr, shall we?"

This certainly can't be the first time that Brianna has strongly reminded Claire of Jamie, but the accent really put her over the edge.

At the end of the chapter, what did you think Claire's nightmare was about?

Returning to this place, she couldn't help but dream of Jamie. I agree with someone else's comment - "Nightmare"?

What did you think Claire meant when she saw Randall's gravestone and said, "Jonathan Wolverton Randall," she said softly, "1705-1746. I told you, didn't I? You bastard, I told you!" How did you feel?

I was confused also, thinking that he had been killed by the cows in 1744. This indicates that the Jack Randall story is not over yet. Hmmmmm.

How did you feel when Claire found Jamie's gravestone at St. Kilda's?

Devastated for Claire - again. We know he is dead, but what a horrible feeling to see a 200 year old gravestone of your greatest love.

First impressions of Claire's confession?

It began unexpectedly and did not come out the way she had planned. The way it was first blurted out - I can understand Brianna thinking her mother had lost it.

Does Brianna seem like she believes Claire about the time-travel?

Not yet, but I believe (hope) she'll come around especially with knowledge of Roger's research and his explanations.

What did you think when Claire decided to examine the sick sailor from The Patagonia?
Stop it, stop it, stop it. Jamie told her not to do anything - Why won't she learn?
(At least no beatings were involved this time.) Jamie and Jared handled things more calmly than I would have expected.

First impressions of Monsieur le Comte (St. Germain)?
This book's villian. This is NOT the last we will see of him.

Do you think Claire is more aware of the danger posed by St. Germain than she has been of other dangers?

I don't get that impression. Yet Claire has never seemed to have a very good danger-radar.

Do you think Jamie and Claire seem natural in Paris Society?

They both seem very adaptable. I think Claire's modern background helps her here.

Forgetting what you know about history, do you think Jamie and Claire have any chance of at least altering history, if not changing it completely?

I don't know, but I'm looking forward to finding out!

·
Registered
339 Posts
tlshaw said:
Gertie:
Ditto! I am glad to see the new posts.

·
Registered
224 Posts
AFter posting my thoughts, I went back and read others' responses in more detail.  You've answered questions, pointed out things I missed, and provided much food for thought here.  I love someone's idea that Claire's dream was Jamie's mesage that he didn't die in Collodon and she should come back. Still confused on the wheres and whens of death for Jack Randall and Jamie.  Thanks for adding so much to the book reading! 

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
UGGHHH! I felt like I was watching a Lost episode. I was also reminded a bit of the movie The Lake House (Keanu Reeves and Sandra Bullock played the main characters). Wouldn't it be great if Claire and Jamie could communicate through letters placed in the stones the way Alex and Kate communicated across time with letters in the mailbox in Lake House? Anyone remember that movie?
I have found myself wishing much the same thing, Bella. But I had not gotten so far as to tie the idea to the Lake House, which I think is inspired. But I keep wishing that Claire could leave notes for Brianna or vice-versa. No, in fact, I haven't thought about how that might work. lol

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
I have a question, if any of our board RN's are here...

We all know Claire is immune to smallpox.  BUT, does a fetus benefit from the mother's immunity?  Was she not putting the baby in danger when she waltzed over to look in on the sailor?

·
Registered
339 Posts
SongbirdVB said:

We all know Claire is immune to smallpox. BUT, does a fetus benefit from the mother's immunity? Was she not putting the baby in danger when she waltzed over to look in on the sailor?
A fetus does benefit from the mother's immunity and continues to get some of the mother's immunity through breast milk. This is one of the current points in the argument to get children vaccinated (I am not taking a stand one way or the other, simply stating facts as the state health department deals them out! ;)). The un-vaccinated child will have some immunity from the mother, but their children will be ultra susceptible to the disease and may even have issues when they in turn get a vaccine.

·
Registered
26,676 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
SongbirdVB said:

We all know Claire is immune to smallpox. BUT, does a fetus benefit from the mother's immunity? Was she not putting the baby in danger when she waltzed over to look in on the sailor?
Not an RN, but I wouldn't think so. My daughter had to be vaccinated, even though I was, so it doesn't seem as if it would carry over.

Claire is really very reckless, but maybe she thinks she knows more about disease because she's a nurse in the future. Then there's what she wants to do in this week's reading.

Here's a thought. My vaccination was done on my leg and not my arm. If Claire or Gellie were looking, they wouldn't see it. :D My youngest daughter was never vaccinated because by the time she was born, smallpox had been virtually wiped out. She might go undetected as a time traveler as well.

·
Registered
339 Posts
gertiekindle said:
Here's a thought. My vaccination was done on my leg and not my arm. If Claire or Gellie were looking, they wouldn't see it. :D My youngest daughter was never vaccinated because by the time she was born, smallpox had been virtually wiped out. She might go undetected as a time traveler as well.
I wondered about that as well. I thought that it was an extreme coincidence they both happened to have traveled from a time with that particular form of smallpox vaccination.

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
Thanks ladies!  It just bugs me that she throws caution to the wind with no thought of what might happen.  Don't get me wrong... mostly I love Claire, but this tendancy of hers makes me more than a little crazy.  ;D

·
Registered
26,676 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
BambiB said:
I wondered about that as well. I thought that it was an extreme coincidence they both happened to have traveled from a time with that particular form of smallpox vaccination.
There are ... others.

SongbirdVB said:
Thanks ladies! It just bugs me that she throws caution to the wind with no thought of what might happen. Don't get me wrong... mostly I love Claire, but this tendancy of hers makes me more than a little crazy. ;D
Yes, Claire isn't perfect, but then neither is Jamie. You know, when he ... no he doesn't really do that. But sometimes he ... no he doesn't do that either. Then there's ... uh-uh. Hmmm, maybe he is perfect. :-*

·
Registered
677 Posts
gertiekindle said:
Yes, Claire isn't perfect, but then neither is Jamie. You know, when he ... no he doesn't really do that. But sometimes he ... no he doesn't do that either. Then there's ... uh-uh. Hmmm, maybe he is perfect. :-*
What about kissing Loaghaire in the alcove and getting caught? Well, we can put that down to youth. - sigh

·
Registered
26,676 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
tlshaw said:
What about kissing Loaghaire in the alcove and getting caught? Well, we can put that down to youth. - sigh
Or maybe Jamie is just more forgivable than Claire. :D

One of my favorite quotes is in DiA. Don't worry, newbies, if you haven't gotten to this part. It's in no way a spoiler. I'm probably paraphrasing here.

Claire ... I used to think that 18th century women fainted due to the tightness of their stays. I now knew it was due to the idiocy of 18th century men.

At least Claire has no illusions about Jamie.

21 - 40 of 73 Posts