Kindle Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
26,676 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The story starts to heat up with this week's reading, Part Six, The Flames of Rebellion.

Here are the questions for Chps 30-35. 

Part Five--Dragonfly in Amber
"I Am Come Home"
Chapters 30-35

Ch. 30 "Lallybroch"

1. How did you feel when Jamie and Claire returned to Lallybroch?

Ch. 31 "Mail Call"

1. Among the packages received at Lallybroch are some (presumably from Master Raymond) that include small shaped stones with carving on one side. Any purpose to this?

2.  We know that Claire goes back to the future.  Claire says she sometimes carries these stones in her pocket. Could the stones be in her pocket when she passes through the stones a second time; perhaps a “ticket back?”

Ch. 32 "Field of Dreams"

1. What did you think of the potato-harvesting scene?

Ch. 33 "Thy Brother's Keeper"

1. Why do Rabbie and Fergus constantly fight?

2.  What did you think of Jamie taking the strap to both boys?

3. Jamie is forced to confess to Ian what happened between him and Randall.  Do you think this will weaken or strengthen their friendship? 

Ch. 34 "The Postman Always Rings Twice"

1. How did you feel when the letter came with Jamie's name pledged to Charles Stuart?

Ch. 35 "Moonlight"

1. Was it right for Jenny to ask Jamie to take Ian to fight with him?

2. What did you think of the scene with Jamie and baby Katherine?

Overall, what did you think of this part? Did you find yourself wishing that Jamie and Claire could stay at Lallybroch forever?

·
Registered
26,676 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
"I Am Come Home"
Chapters 30-35

Ch. 30 "Lallybroch"

Relieved. What was that bit that Claire quoted? "The sailor come home from the sea?" Yes, they are well away from all the political intrigue and need some time to just be a young married couple with friends and family.

Ch. 31 "Mail Call"

1. Among the packages received at Lallybroch are some (presumably from Master Raymond) that include small shaped stones with carving on one side. Any purpose to this?

I think Raymond is just sending her various things he thinks Claire might find useful in her work as a healer. I think it was very astute of Claire to give Mary McNab the stone for epilepsy and use it to reassure Mary that Rabbie would be okay when he had a seizure. I think it gives Mary more confidence that Rabbie will recover.

2. We know that Claire goes back to the future. Claire says she sometimes carries these stones in her pocket. Could the stones be in her pocket when she passes through the stones a second time; perhaps a "ticket back?"

It's possible. It's also possible that she is just focusing on Frank to get back to the right time, as she focused on Jamie when she first went through the stones. Of course, Claire didn't know she was focusing on Jamie at the time. His ghost was calling to her, but she didn't know it on a conscious level.

Ch. 32 "Field of Dreams"

This scene just gave me a warm, fuzzy feeling. Cooking outside, friends and family, children running and playing; not so different from our own neighborhood cookouts. I wouldn't have minded joining the group around the fire.

Rabbie has had his place at Lallybroch for a while and Fergus is an interloper. Fergus feels that Jamie is his, so he should come first at Lallybroch. Add to that they are two young boys, and there is bound to be friction and jealousy. They haven't grown up together like Jamie and Ian.

2. What did you think of Jamie taking the strap to both boys?

I think Jamie finally gets it. He knows now what his father and Ian's father went through with him and Ian and why they resorted to the strap. Let's not forget Granny McNabs words of wisdom about young boys.

3. Jamie is forced to confess to Ian what happened between him and Randall. Do you think this will weaken or strengthen their friendship?

Initially, Ian was appalled by Jamie's confession, and blamed it all on Jamie. I think it was the only way he could distance himself from the horror of it. When he had to face it, he was devastated. Finally, he came to accept that Jamie didn't have a choice, and what happened didn't make Jamie less than the man Ian knew and loved.

1. How did you feel when the letter came with Jamie's name pledged to Charles Stuart?

Sickened. The inflated ego of that vain young twit is going to get Jamie killed. Remember, when I first read DiA, I didn't know there would be a third book. I just couldn't see how, knowing the history of the Rising, this would come out right.

Ch. 35 "Moonlight"

It took a lot of courage for her to do that. I understand her reasons, but will Ian understand?

That broke my heart. Jamie poured out his heart and his soul to little Kitty. He knows what he's facing and what failure could mean to his family and his country, not to mention to himself and Claire.

Overall, what did you think of this part? Did you find yourself wishing that Jamie and Claire could stay at Lallybroch forever?

Oh, yes, but I sort of know it's a book and I have to accept that's not going to happen. Maybe someday ...

·
Registered
677 Posts
"I Am Come Home"
Chapters 30-35

Ch. 30 "Lallybroch"

I was relieved. They were away from the intrigue and political games and could focus on each other and their marriage. They definitely needed time to heal.

Ch. 31 "Mail Call"

I wasn't sure, but wondered if they were supposed to have some kind of powers, because of the carvings. When Claire gave the stone to Mary McNab, she did so because the figure matched Rabbie's condition.

2. We know that Claire goes back to the future. Claire says she sometimes carries these stones in her pocket. Could the stones be in her pocket when she passes through the stones a second time; perhaps a "ticket back?"
If the stones really had some kind of power, it is possible. I had not thought about it. I thought it took Claire focusing on Frank to get her back to the right time.

Ch. 32 "Field of Dreams"

Not only did it prove Claire right, it also was a chance to be a community. Claire and Jamie had been alone and unable to trust anyone for so long, it was good for them to be able to enjoy their family.

They are boys. Also, they are so close in age, they always have the be on top. There might have also been some jealousy. Rabbie was protective of his home, since he was there first, and Fergus was protective of Jamie.

He is beginning to understand that children need discipline, and since neither boy has a father, the job falls to him. This is part of his responsibility.

3. Jamie is forced to confess to Ian what happened between him and Randall. Do you think this will weaken or strengthen their friendship?
It definitely put a strain on things at first. It is normal to blame the victim. But, after Ian has time to think about it, he knows that Jamie did nothing wrong. I think this makes Ian and Jamie closer. Ian is more determined to stand by Jamie.

What an idiot! He just signed Jamie's death warrant.

Ch. 35 "Moonlight"

Jenny was doing what she felt she had to. Ian had to be the one to decide to stay.

I cried. Jamie knew what he was facing, but could only put it into words with the baby, because she would not understand the words or feel the need to try to tell him everything would be alright. He knew better, but had to say these things out loud.

Jamie and Claire had been through so much and risked their lives, they needed time with each other and just to live a normal life. I wanted them to be able to stay at Lallybroch and raise a family.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Ch. 30 "Lallybroch"

I felt relief. It seems that this is the place where they are safest and happiest. That said, since we are only part-way through the book, I knew this would be short-lived :)

Ch. 31 "Mail Call"

I thought this odd. These discs don't seem to have any purpose and Raymond doesn't seem to do things for no reason.

Maybe... she has traveled this way without a ticket and it seems like she COULD have gone back with no ticket. I had always thought that Jaimie/Frank acted sort of as magnets pulling her to one time or another. Maybe they will serve as "proof" to her that where she came from was real?

Ch. 32 "Field of Dreams"

So happy that they are taking Claire's advice seriously. It was really funny to hear people's reactions seeing potatoes for the first time. Then again, I have never had Haggis, but I am pretty sure my reaction would be funny to a Scots as well.

They are close in age and both are grateful to Jaimie for rescuing them. It's probably kind of a sibling rivalry.

Just like his dad!

It will strengthen it. Before Jamie confessed, I think their relationship was unbalanced due to Ian's loss of his leg. Now Ian knows that Jamie has lost something important as well.

These guys can never win. Also, Charles is a sneaky bastard.

Ch. 35 "Moonlight"

I know where she is coming from, but I really don't think I would do the same. I would want my husband to be safe and to be there for me and the children.

So sad. Having suffered from infertility, I think it would have killed me to see this if I were Claire.

Of course. But they would not be true to themselves if they put their own needs first.

·
Registered
7,047 Posts
Ch. 30 "Lallybroch"

fuzzy

Ch. 31 "Mail Call"

when she gave the one to Widow McNabb with the carved image of possibly an eplictic fit it feels as if they came from "back when" when all medicine was magic

won't answer this - I know the correct answer ;D

Ch. 32 "Field of Dreams"

very well done, convincing the tenants to try the potatoes, and loved Fergus stating the obvious, out of the mouths of babes

typical boys who are compatible

of course, why not? boys need to be disciplined

with their history it would do nothing but strengthen it

they had tried so hard to thwart Stuart, this was a betrayal, even tho Stuart did not know it.

Ch. 35 "Moonlight"

she had to even though she probably did not want Ian to leave but she knew that Ian would feel less of a man if he was not asked

he very possibly was thinking of his Faith and talking to Katherine about it, and even his insecurities for the future fight knowing what Claire had told him.

yes but then that probably would be the end of the series and I am not ready for it to end yet

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
Part Five--Dragonfly in Amber; "I Am Come Home"; Chapters 30-35; Ch. 30 "Lallybroch"

It's always nice to go home. Now they can recharge and get ready for the next intrigue or battle

Ch. 31 "Mail Call"

Ah Raymond; I miss Raymond. Another great minor character. Don't really see a purpose for the stones though. Claire at least found a use for one of them. Of course they were important for her when she went back. She wasn't able to take anything else and this was a connection with Jamie

Claire did not have them either time she was at the stones so it is unlikely they affect that. If they do I will be disappointed.

Ch. 32 "Field of Dreams"

Reminds me of the times we were camping and much of the campground would get together and eat and talk. It gave me warm fuzzies Ian was so serious about planting potatoes - everything by the book.

Claire and Jamie had been alone and unable to trust anyone for so long, it was good for them to be able to enjoy their family
I like that

Rabbie has had his place at Lallybroch for a while and Fergus is an interloper. Fergus feels that Jamie is his, so he should come first at Lallybroch. Add to that they are two young boys, and there is bound to be friction and jealousy. They haven't grown up together like Jamie and Ian.
What you said. I think they could become as close as Jamie and Ian, after all they are not that old.

Another look at what Jamie would have been like as a father. Bree missed out (Nothing against Frank. He must have been a good father for her to love him so much)
Didn't Jamie punish them in the barn whereas Jamie's father punished him in public?

Shared joy and shared hardships strengthen many relationships. Ian has already shown he understands and feels Jamie's pain (yeah there was the initial reaction but it didn't last long)
Before Jamie confessed, I think their relationship was unbalanced due to Ian's loss of his leg. Now Ian knows that Jamie has lost something important as well.
That's something I hadn't thought about. Unbalanced also because Jamie is Laird but Ian has been keeping the place going. They are a lot like Colum and Dougal

Initially surprised that the little twit would take the liberty. But really, didn't Jamie and Claire set themselves up for something like this with the game they played in France. Sometimes playing both sides has unexpected consequences.

Sickened. The inflated ego of that vain young twit is going to get Jamie killed
:D Didn't see this before I wrote my answer. If we both think he's a twit, he must be a twit

Ch. 35 "Moonlight"

I have a problem when people make decisions for others, so in that context, no. But her reasoning was sound and she does know her husband. It couldn't have been easy for her.

I was thinking that this is what he would have been like with Bree. It is a side of him that isn't often shown.

Didn't really think about it; but if they stayed the rest of the book would have been pretty boring.

In thinking about every thing that has happened so far it seems to me that a major theme of this book is duality. Claire has two lives in two different times, Jamie has two different lives (Laird and outlaw). Colum and Dougal work together but with two different agendas and very different abilities and personalities, Jamie and Claire lead a double life in France, Charles is a prince and a pauper....

·
Registered
677 Posts
imallbs said:
In thinking about every thing that has happened so far it seems to me that a major theme of this book is duality. Claire has two lives in two different times, Jamie has two different lives (Laird and outlaw). Colum and Dougal work together but with two different agendas and very different abilities and personalities, Jamie and Claire lead a double life in France, Charles is a prince and a pauper....
I never thought about that. This is a great insight.

·
Registered
2,811 Posts
***Yes, very interesting.
***Those stones - they remind me of rune stones. I had bought them at the book stores along with the books. If you have a question, you are supposed to take out the stones, & whatever you interpret is supposed to help you make a decision. It's like IChing. You could also carry 1 with you, etc. to make you feel better. I haven't played with mine for a long time- years. I have the IChing as well. The rune stones are based on celtic symbols. I also used to interested in astrology & making charts. I've forgotten everything now.

·
Registered
26,676 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sorry I haven't been around, guys. Big family party yesterday. My aunt and uncle celebrated their golden wedding anniversary. Beautiful party. My cousins threw a wedding shower for their mother. Then they had a rehearsal dinner, and yesterday at the party, they renewed their vows.

Unfortunately, it was a two hour trip and my back went out of whack again. Oh, well, it was worth it. I saw cousins I hadn't seen in 30 years. (Lord I'm old)

Toby said:
***Those stones - they remind me of rune stones. I had bought them at the book stores along with the books. If you have a question, you are supposed to take out the stones, & whatever you interpret is supposed to help you make a decision. It's like IChing. You could also carry 1 with you, etc. to make you feel better. I haven't played with mine for a long time- years. I have the IChing as well. The rune stones are based on celtic symbols. I also used to interested in astrology & making charts. I've forgotten everything now.
I did astrology and tarot cards, too. I still have all my books and I was just thinking of tossing them. My mother-in-law and her sister got me started.

·
Premium Member
63,461 Posts
I only read a couple posts before posting mine, I may be duplicating what has been said before.

I was happy to see that they could live as a normal married couple for awhile and wondered how long it would last.

Ch. 31 "Mail Call"

1. Among the packages received at Lallybroch are some (presumably from Master Raymond) that include small shaped stones with carving on one side. Any purpose to this? Not sure. Talismans of some kind. I liked the way she used the one with the twitching man.

A link between the standing stones and the talisman stones? Interesting. I can't wait to find out more!

Ch. 32 "Field of Dreams"

1. What did you think of the potato-harvesting scene? I loved the discussion about the differences between men and women--the women were critiquing the potatos, the men just ate them--they were good because someone else did the cooking--reminds me of my husband!

1. Why do Rabbie and Fergus constantly fight? Ah, two young boys struggling for their own supremecy. I liked what was said earlier about Rabbie having alpha status at Lollyboch but Fergus having status iwth Jamie.

2. What did you think of Jamie taking the strap to both boys? It was what he learned growing up.

3. Jamie is forced to confess to Ian what happened between him and Randall. Do you think this will weaken or strengthen their friendship? I think it will strengthen it. Ian felt less than Jamie because of his handicap; now Jamie has a wound and scars too and Ian can help him as Jamie has helped Ian.

1. How did you feel when the letter came with Jamie's name pledged to Charles Stuart? I thought, "Here we go"

Ch. 35 "Moonlight"

1. Was it right for Jenny to ask Jamie to take Ian to fight with him?It was right for her. Unbelievably courageous.

2. What did you think of the scene with Jamie and baby Katherine?Oh, so moving. Great scene, and so real--for someone as strong and male, it would take someone like a baby for him to confess to.

Overall, what did you think of this part? Did you find yourself wishing that Jamie and Claire could stay at Lallybroch forever? Not sure that would make for a very interesting book.

·
Registered
26,676 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Betsy the Quilter said:
Ch. 32 "Field of Dreams"

1. What did you think of the potato-harvesting scene? I loved the discussion about the differences between men and women--the women were critiquing the potatos, the men just ate them--they were good because someone else did the cooking--reminds me of my husband!
;D You're so right. Was it Jenny that said something like, if you put enough butter on it, the men will eat them?

2. What did you think of the scene with Jamie and baby Katherine?Oh, so moving. Great scene, and so real--for someone as strong and male, it would take someone like a baby for him to confess to.
Just thinking about that scene brings tears to my heart. How lost Jamie must have felt.

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
Betsy the Quilter said:
Overall, what did you think of this part? Did you find yourself wishing that Jamie and Claire could stay at Lallybroch forever? Not sure that would make for a very interesting book.
:D Yeah, I'm sure it's going to be much more interesting with the whole war thing. I'm interested in seeing how things work out for Dougal. He is so determined to get into this thing.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts