Kindle Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4,791 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed in several threads that there are many fans of Anne McCaffrey's Pern series. Her son, Todd, has written another solo novel in that world (he's written one solo, plus several with his mom), that just came out Tuesday. I just happened across it when looking at something else, I had no idea a new one was coming out this week! I know some folks don't like Todd's versions (versus Anne's versions), but I've never had any problem with them. It's still in the high price range at $15.48 but perhaps it will come down soon. :p

·
Administrator
63,461 Posts
I had gotten away from the Pern series in recent years, and didn't realize her son was writing them now.  Interesting!  Thanks for posting, Steph!

Betsy

·
Registered
4,791 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, when he started writing them with her, they went back in the timeline to before the Dragonflight period but after the beginning.  A whole big middle period there with lots of "nothing" previously going on that stories could be written in. ;)  This is the 5th now in that period, after Dragon's Kin, Dragonsblood (his other solo), Dragon's Fire and Dragon Harper.  I *think*  Dragonheart comes after Dragon Harper in the timeline anyway, I'm not 100% sure...

·
Registered
177 Posts
How do they compare to the original Dragonriders of Pern series by Anne? I haven't read any of Todd's because I was scared away by people saying they don't compare to hers and I didn't want to ruin the series for myself. I feel bad judging those books when I haven't even read them though. Even so, I can't help but wonder if he is just riding on his mother's success because he can't think of anything creative and new to write himself. Is this completely wrong?

·
Registered
4,791 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I personally like them just fine, but I'm not a big critic of things and I love the whole telepathic dragons shtick so I'm happy to see Pern continue. I like my dragons to be friendly and helpful. ;) I think it helps that even though they're in the world of Pern, they're completely different characters.  If he'd tried to continue on with the timeline from the end of Skies of Pern, with the same characters, it might be easier to tell a distinct difference. But I honestly don't see a huge writing difference, myself.

Those books also aren't really focused mainly on dragonriders and Weyrs, though, but more on settlements and similar situations, with some dragonriders also in there as characters (as I recall, it's been awhile since I read some of the earlier of those first 4).  This new one looks to be more dragon-driven from the description.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts