Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
"Turn Coat", the latest book in the Dresden Files series has just come down in price from around $15 to $12.84. I am still holding off getting it for now. I would like to get it for $9.99. Hopefully a few weeks after release (it just became available recently), it will drop in price again.

Steve

·
Registered
5,981 Posts
I am joining you in waiting for the price drop. I think that happens when the book hits the best seller list. I might go post on Jim's website asking if he knows when it is going to happen.

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
I couldn't wait, I got both the DTB version and Kindle version already.  Both of my son's are Jim Butcher fans too and I ain't up for sharing my kindle with them yet.  ;D

They were quite jealous when I got my version immediately upon release and they had to wait another day.

Good book BTW.

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Forster said:
They were quite jealous when I got my version immediately upon release and they had to wait another day. Good book BTW.
I was so happy to see the Kindle version when I woke up on the 7th - and I received the hardcover the same day. I must admit, there are some bad editing errors in the Kindle version - partially repeated sentences, words run together or hyphenated in the middle of the page. Why are they inept when it comes to editing Kindle books?

·
Registered
4,791 Posts
I'm glad to hear it's good! :)  I'm trying to hold out until next week, to save it for a plane ride Friday. Be nice if the price dropped again in the meantime, too. :D

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
MonaSW said:
there are some bad editing errors in the Kindle version - partially repeated sentences, words run together or hyphenated in the middle of the page. Why are they inept when it comes to editing Kindle books?
I read the first 10 books of the series on the Kindle and the editing didn't seem too bad to me. I hope the 11th (I haven't ordered it yet, I'm hoping for a further price reduction) isn't worse than they were.

Steve

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
After just reporting a few days ago that Turn Coat had dropped to $12.48, it is now back up to $14.01. Mean Streets, which was $6 ish is now $9.99. They must adjust these things regularly depending on how many sales they make. It's like they're making buying a book into a video game, you have to have your finger on the trigger and shoot the price at just the right moment. I think I'll go read another series and see what happens to Dresden. I don't really like being jerked around like this.

Steve

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Then buy the hard copy or complain to Amazon. I didn't mind paying a higher price to get my fix on the release date.

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
stevene9 said:
I read the first 10 books of the series on the Kindle and the editing didn't seem too bad to me. I hope the 11th (I haven't ordered it yet, I'm hoping for a further price reduction) isn't worse than they were.

Steve
It is much worse. It actually interrupts the flow of the story. I have reported the errors to Amazon, so don't be surprised if the book is pulled for reformatting.

·
Registered
168 Posts
I'm just waiting until it goes down to $9.99. I've got so many other books and series I can read that I'm not worried about waiting a couple weeks. I have to agree though, the price games are pretty annoying.
It was $14.27 to start, went down to $12.84 on Mar 18th and then back up to $14.01 on April 9th. I think the publisher is charging the same price though - the discount is entirely on Amazon (and on their dime beyond the 30% cut they get). Realistically, it's the publisher we should be most upset with, charging the same price for the e-book ($25.95) as the hard-cover (which you can get for $15.57).

Considering all the disadvantages to Kindle books (DRM, can be revoked at any time [no 'true' ownership], can't share) and numerous price advantages the publishers have, to have e-books be remotely close to the print price is an insult.

·
Registered
5,981 Posts
Thank you for reformatting it. That makes me even more happy that I waited for it to come out.

Codex Alera I bought the day it came out. I love me some Tavi but I can wait a week for Harry.

·
Registered
4,791 Posts
[Shrek voice] I object! [/Shrek voice]

Not really...I just couldn't resist since you left the option open. :D Carry on!

·
Registered
399 Posts
The price on "Turn Coat" will eventually come down. Butcher is one of my favorite authors, but just like patrickb, I have enough to keep me busy until it does. :)

·
Registered
4,791 Posts
But even though I have plenty of other stuff to read, I still really hope it drops by Thursday so I can get it for my plane ride on Friday. :D  Just seems like the perfect companion for a 3.5ish hour flight.

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
What's even worse, I happen to be on the Sony ebook site and they list Turn Coat for $11 and some change. How come Amazon is $14+. I think if a lot of people order a book, Amazon raises the price.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts