Kindle Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got the first skin for my Kindle.

I also have ten thumbs.  ::) ::) ::)

Any hints on how to get it painlessly onto my Kindle?  ??? ???  The directions look scary, and also the many comments I've seen about this being difficult...

·
Registered
2,684 Posts
Here's some instructions I wrote for a friend.  Just take your time, and you'll do fine.

When you install your skin, of course remove it from the backing paper, and make sure all the little circles at the bottom are punched out.  Also for now punch out the pieces that say Menu, Back, etc.  Punch out anything that’s “loose”.  Sometimes they stick in there.  Be very careful when you remove the skin from the backing paper, around the side keys area.  There are some tiny little pieces there that you will need.  Start from the bottom and lightly lay the skin on the Kindle, lining up the bottom and all the keys.  Don’t press it down at this point, just lightly lie it on there but stick it down a little bit so it won’t move.  Try to make sure there’s the same amount of space all around the circles where your keys are.  Make sure you have it aligned around all the openings and from side to side as well. 

Then carefully move up to each side.  Make sure it’s lined exactly straight with the sides of your screen.  If it’s just a teeny bit off, you’ll notice it when you’re reading….or at least I do!  At this point just gently press the skin onto the sides, don’t mash it down really hard.  Keep moving all the way up to the top and smooth it down over the very top.

Be careful all the time you are applying it and don’t stretch too much, but it is sort of flexible, if there’s an area that needs to be pulled a little. 

Once you have the skin on and everything looks straight, then use the pads of your fingers to press it down tightly.  I usually take my index finger and run it between all of the keys to get it pushed down really well around the keys.

I use tweezers to apply the tiny pieces over the page turn buttons and I make sure I'm in a very well lit area.

Hope this helps!

·
Registered
78 Posts
Have fun!  I remember buying my firsts.  Oh wait, I haven't stopped dressing mine.  LOL

·
Registered
214 Posts
Patricia sent me the instructions for installing a skin on my Kindle as I was very apprehensive about the entire process.  With her explicit instructions, I timidly approached the situation.  Turned out, it was a piece of cake!  The skin is not as flimsy or unmanageable as you might think.  My main suggestions would be to find a place to sit where you can have your Kindle and hands at a comfortable working level (desk or table).  Work slowly until you get the feel of the skin.  If you don't press down on the skin while positioning it, you will not have a problem carefully lifting it and repositioning it.  I think you will be happy to find it goes on easier than you ever imagined; at least, that was my experience.  After the first one, you'll feel like a pro!  ;)  Good luck and enjoy the skin you install.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts