Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a look through the boards but couldn't see an answer to this one.

Do people set DRM on their titles?  I understand that it is something you cannot change once the book has been published.

Does it make much difference to sales?

thanks

Mike

·
Registered
129 Posts
My book has only been up just over a week but I set it to be DRM-free and lendable as my browsing of reader groups told me that readers appreciate not having DRM on a book and that it was a selling point. Time will tell if this has an impact for me but I never agreed with DRM when it was used on CDs by the music industry so it would be hypocritical of me to use it on my books.

·
Registered
3,651 Posts
I am strongly against DRM, and I won't purchase a title that has it. Many readers are the same.

None of my books have it either.

DRM does nothing to prevent piracy (it can be cracked by a 12 year old), and only serves to antagonize those who actually pay for your work. For example, DRM can prevent someone who has purchased your work on one e-reader transferring it their new e-reader. Other effects are more sinister.

Even if you are worried about piracy, remember this: obscurity is a far greater threat to a writer.

Also, Smashwords will not allow the sale of any books that have DRM for all these reasons, and many more.

·
Registered
250 Posts
From reading a lot here it seems to me that not using DRM is the better choice.

Mostly because there are many readers who will not buy a book with DRM so using it can reduce sales.

When I publish my books I plan to not use DRM.

·
Registered
3,651 Posts
Also, don't forget that DRM was introduced by the music industry. We have mountains of data to show what a failure that was.

Even they have stopped using it.

·
Premium Member
63,461 Posts
I don't much care whether particular books are DRM free or not...I buy the books I want if they are available for Kindle or readable on one of the many readers on my iPad.  If they aren't, I buy and read something that is.  But it is definitely a sticking point for many people.

Betsy

·
Registered
624 Posts
I certainly won't be using DRM when I publish my novel at the end of the month.  For all the reasons Dave mentioned. 

·
Registered
989 Posts
No DRM. You do cost yourself readers, as you can see here. I have DRM on my book, but that's because I was naive when I published; I didn't really know anything about it and just figured, "Hey, anti-piracy. Whatever. Sounds cool." It's a trap! Don't fall for it!

(As a reader, I'm with Betsy. I don't care; but a lot of people do.)

·
Registered
3,651 Posts
Jon Olson said:
So is it true, once you set DRM, you can't change it back?
I believe (but I'm not 100% sure) that you can change your DRM options just by going into your bookshelf where you change prices/descriptions.

Of course, this won't change the DRM status of already purchased copies.

·
Registered
3,651 Posts
Skate said:
I just looked. No you can't. Once it's set, it's set.
What about when you upload a fresh version? I'm pretty sure I saw the option when I did that, but again, I'm not 100% sure.

·
Registered
3,651 Posts
Saffina Desforges said:
Would be interested to hear if anyone has published, then unpublished and re-published the same title and what effect it had?
I will be updating my two titles in the next couple of weeks, I'll know for sure then if I can change DRM settings. Maybe if anyone here is doing the same before then, they can report back.

I would say what you describe should definitely allow new DRM settings as it's a completely new book (doesn't it get a new AIN?)

·
Registered
2,554 Posts
JRainey said:
No DRM. You do cost yourself readers, as you can see here. I have DRM on my book, but that's because I was naive when I published; I didn't really know anything about it and just figured, "Hey, anti-piracy. Whatever. Sounds cool." It's a trap! Don't fall for it!

(As a reader, I'm with Betsy. I don't care; but a lot of people do.)
And if nothing worked, could you "unpublish" the book, then publish it again without DRM?

·
Registered
2,554 Posts
Would you also, in addition to removing DRM, remove this notice? I copied it from a Smashwords style guide example, and have it on every book on Page 2. Would it irritate you as a reader?

E-book Edition License Notes

This ebook is licensed for your personal enjoyment only. This ebook may not be re-sold or given away to other people. If you would like to share this book with another person, please purchase an additional copy for each recipient. If you’re reading this book and did not purchase it, or it as not purchased for your use only, then please purchase your own copy. Thank you for respecting the hard work of this author.
All rights reserved by the author/publisher. No part of this book may be reproduced or transmitted in any form or by any means, electronic or mechanical, photocopying, recording, or by any information storage and retrieval system, without written permission from the author, except for the inclusion of brief quotations in a review. If you’re reading this book in an e-book format and haven’t paid for it, please respect the hard labors of the author and buy your own. Thank you.

·
Registered
16,323 Posts
dgaughran said:
I am strongly against DRM, and I won't purchase a title that has it.
If you don't have strong feeling about DRM, I think this is a warming:

Some people do.

And DRM has yet to stop piracy. Pirates just strip it.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts