Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
26,676 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good discussion of Voyager everyone.  Now we can start discussing DoA.  I'm already enjoying it more because we're reading it together. 

This week's reading is Chps. 10-18. 

Here are the discussion questions for this week.  Have fun.

Part One-- Drums of Autumn
"O Brave New World"
Chapter 1-2

1.  Jamie had expressed his desire to find all the men from Ardsmuir who had been indentured to America.  How do you think he felt when he found Gavin Hayes about to be hanged? 

2.  Were you concerned at the presence of so many British soldiers?  Did you think Jamie’s criminal past will follow him to America? 

3.  Were you worried about Jamie calling attention to himself at the hanging? 

4.  Ian is growing up to be an interesting character. In what ways is he like Jamie and in what ways is he different from Jamie?

5.  Were you surprised that Ian wasn’t able to get on the ship back to Scotland?  Were you hoping he would stick around?

6.  Will saving Bonnet from the gallows be significant in the future? Does Bonnet owe Jamie a debt of honor?

7.  As Jamie said, many of the people that are condemned to hang should be hanged.  Do you think Bonnet is one of them?

Part Two-- Drums of Autumn
"Past Imperfect"
Chapter 3-5

1.  Did you think Bree would be back in Boston, or did you think she would have stayed behind with Roger?

2.  What did you think of Roger at the Gathering? 

3.  Did you think Bree would call out the Fraser war cry?  Why do you think she didn’t?

4.  Where were you when Neil Armstrong walked on the moon? 

Part Three-- Drums of Autumn
"Pirates"
Chapter 6-9

1.  What did you think of Gov. Tryon’s offer?  Was he sincere, or just testing the waters?

2.  What did you think of Jamie’s reasons for not accepting the offer right away?

3.  What did you think of the anniversary present Jamie bought for Claire?  Do you think the previous owner’s disappearance (Dr. Daniel Rawlings) might be significant to the story in ways other than leaving the medical box behind so Jamie could buy it for Claire?

4.  What do you think of Jamie’s attempts to tutor Ian in Greek and Latin?  Do you think he finally understands how Ian’s parents felt? 

5.  Were you surprised when Stephen Bonnet showed up and robbed Jamie and Claire? 

6.  After everything the pirates did, do you think Bonnet repaid his debt to Jamie for letting him go by sparing Claire’s life?

7.  What did you think of Claire swallowing the rings?  (Or at least one of them)

8.  Do you think Jamie was justified in being angry with Claire when she fought back?

9.  Do you think Jamie took out his anger with Claire by making her drink the tobacco juice, or was that the best way to retrieve the ring?

10.  Were you relieved that it was Jamie’s ring that Claire managed to save? 

11.  Do you think Jamie will go after Bonnet to try to get the gems back? 

·
Registered
321 Posts
oh yay! More questions!!

"O Brave New World"
Chapter 1-2

1. Jamie had expressed his desire to find all the men from Ardsmuir who had been indentured to America. How do you think he felt when he found Gavin Hayes about to be hanged?

Oh no! Have all of them been reduced to stealing and scraping by? I'm sure Jamie felt terrible, and worried about the others. I thought it was very moving that he called out to Hayes at the final moments, to let him know someone was there for him.

2. Were you concerned at the presence of so many British soldiers? Did you think Jamie's criminal past will follow him to America?
I was worried that someone would recognize him and try to make trouble for him.

3. Were you worried about Jamie calling attention to himself at the hanging?
As #2

4. Ian is growing up to be an interesting character. In what ways is he like Jamie and in what ways is he different from Jamie?
Ian's more spontaneous I think that Jamie - or should I say, seems less likely to think through his impulses since Jamie can be pretty impulsive too, but Ian doesn't seem to be as good at thinking on his feet (even compared with Jamie in his younger days)

5. Were you surprised that Ian wasn't able to get on the ship back to Scotland? Were you hoping he would stick around?
I was pretty sure that was deliberate on Ian's part. I don't think he had any intention of going back. Ian was growing on me, and looked to be a very interesting character.

6. Will saving Bonnet from the gallows be significant in the future? Does Bonnet owe Jamie a debt of honor?

Yes and YES!!

7. As Jamie said, many of the people that are condemned to hang should be hanged. Do you think Bonnet is one of them?
I did at that point, but Jamie had just witnessed the hanging of Hayes for a crime that was far less serious & he understands what people do when they are destitute. Jamie has himself been set for hanging more than once, has had to break the law in many ways to survive & I think just wants to give Bonnet the same chances he's perhaps had.

"Past Imperfect"
Chapter 3-5

1. Did you think Bree would be back in Boston, or did you think she would have stayed behind with Roger?
I was surprised that she was in Boston, or even that Roger wasn't with her. But she's very young to settle down & to move her life across the world for a man. Her own time to grow is important, I think.

2. What did you think of Roger at the Gathering?

Roger is really growing on me. At the gathering, he reminded me of some Scots I knew at my old place of work. They were very passionate about their history; and would make all the English guys jealous when, at conferences, they'd come out in the kilts and after a few beers start singing & doing some Highland dancing. ;D So I could see that when Roger was singing and getting into the MacKenzie persona.

3. Did you think Bree would call out the Fraser war cry? Why do you think she didn't?
I didn't think she would. Too self conscious perhaps, not *feeling" Scottish like everyone else there. She's been trying to put aside her knowledge and get on with her life. She's not there yet with her ancestry.

4. Where were you when Neil Armstrong walked on the moon?
Not born yet!

"Pirates"
Chapter 6-9

1. What did you think of Gov. Tryon's offer? Was he sincere, or just testing the waters?
I thought he was testing the waters, but sincere if he felt Jamie was the right man.

2. What did you think of Jamie's reasons for not accepting the offer right away?
He thinks ahead far more than I do!

3. What did you think of the anniversary present Jamie bought for Claire? Do you think the previous owner's disappearance (Dr. Daniel Rawlings) might be significant to the story in ways other than leaving the medical box behind so Jamie could buy it for Claire?
I thought that was a wonderful gift. He knows exactly how important medicine is to Claire and what it would mean to her.
I keep an open mind about the re-appearance of all side-characters now!

4. What do you think of Jamie's attempts to tutor Ian in Greek and Latin? Do you think he finally understands how Ian's parents felt?

5. Were you surprised when Stephen Bonnet showed up and robbed Jamie and Claire?
Yes, and I was furious!! UGH what a vile, evil man!

6. After everything the pirates did, do you think Bonnet repaid his debt to Jamie for letting him go by sparing Claire's life?

Heck no. Repayment would have been to help them somehow, not rob them blind and then call it repayment for not murdering Claire.

7. What did you think of Claire swallowing the rings? (Or at least one of them)
Very brave, and I don't blame her. Her rings have been so important in many ways - her gold ring throughout her first stay in Scotland, and her silver ring for 20 years with Frank.

8. Do you think Jamie was justified in being angry with Claire when she fought back?

Partially. I understand why he was angry (I always say if I were ever mugged, I'd just hand everything over), but I understand Claire too.

9. Do you think Jamie took out his anger with Claire by making her drink the tobacco juice, or was that the best way to retrieve the ring?
Ha! Both.

10. Were you relieved that it was Jamie's ring that Claire managed to save?
Yes!

11. Do you think Jamie will go after Bonnet to try to get the gems back?
I think he'll find someway to get them back.

·
Registered
701 Posts
"O Brave New World"
Chapter 1-2

1. Jamie had expressed his desire to find all the men from Ardsmuir who had been indentured to America. How do you think he felt when he found Gavin Hayes about to be hanged? I think he was probably devastated, they had been through so much together and Gavin was one of his men. I am sure he felt helpless that he was not able to do more for Gavin. Of course, Jamie would never vocalize this :)

2. Were you concerned at the presence of so many British soldiers? Did you think Jamie's criminal past will follow him to America? It is a wee bit difficult for Jamie to blend, isn't it? Still, he was a pardoned Jacobite so I would think that somewhere, there was a list of those who were more prominent that others. Even with that, I think his past is just that...past. The Crown has too many other issues going on than to worry about 1 Scottish outlaw in America.

Sure.....not really a smart move. Guilt by association is not a good way to bring yourself to the attention of authorities.

4. Ian is growing up to be an interesting character. In what ways is he like Jamie and in what ways is he different from Jamie?
I like Young Ian. He has the wandering, adventurous streak that Jamie has. Unlike Jamie, he is being allowed to be a bit more free in what he does. Jamie was groomed to be laird, Ian is the younger son and doesn't have the same responsibility and duties laying on his shoulders that Jamie did at the same age. They are both very much family oriented.

5. Were you surprised that Ian wasn't able to get on the ship back to Scotland? Were you hoping he would stick around? Ian was a little too unconcerned about his departure so I was not surprised that he did not go back to Scotland. I was hoping he would stick around. I think Jamie needs a right hand man and Young Ian is shaping up to be that man.

6. Will saving Bonnet from the gallows be significant in the future? Does Bonnet owe Jamie a debt of honor? I think it will be significant and I am not sure it would be a debt of honor but Bonnet is most certainly in debt to Jamie.

7. As Jamie said, many of the people that are condemned to hang should be hanged. Do you think Bonnet is one of them? More than likely. We only have his side of things and he readily admitted to his crimes. But...then again, Jamie readily admits to crimes he committed. Without knowing more, it is hard to say for sure.

"Past Imperfect"
Chapter 3-5

1. Did you think Bree would be back in Boston, or did you think she would have stayed behind with Roger?
I kinda thought she would stay with Roger but I can understand that Scotland and Roger may be a painful association for her right now. She lost Frank, lost him again by finding out that he was not her biological father and now she has lost her mother too. It is not surprising she wants to surround herself with work and more familiar things.

2. What did you think of Roger at the Gathering? It is interesting that he would be in such demand that he could get a gig in America ;) I like the fact that he uses his birth name at these events.

3. Did you think Bree would call out the Fraser war cry? Why do you think she didn't? I didn't think she was going to. Bree is still in denial about the whole thing, even though she saw her mother disappear. I think she also may feel that she is betraying Frank if she actually admits to herself that she is a Fraser, not a Randall.

I was 4 years old and living in California. Ironically, my future husband (from Michigan) was less than 50 miles from me at the time visiting his uncle.

"Pirates"
Chapter 6-9

1. What did you think of Gov. Tryon's offer? Was he sincere, or just testing the waters?
I think he was both

2. What did you think of Jamie's reasons for not accepting the offer right away? Jamie did not survive being an outlaw, wars and various other events in his life by being a fool. Highlanders are not the barbarians that many think they are. I think he has very valid reasons for not accepting. Jamie has the ability to see far ahead that many lack.

3. What did you think of the anniversary present Jamie bought for Claire? Do you think the previous owner's disappearance (Dr. Daniel Rawlings) might be significant to the story in ways other than leaving the medical box behind so Jamie could buy it for Claire? I thought it was sweet and shows that he really does know his wife. I think we may find out more about Dr Rawlings later and it may be significant.

4. What do you think of Jamie's attempts to tutor Ian in Greek and Latin? Do you think he finally understands how Ian's parents felt? I found it amusing. Ian is not Jamie though and I believe the square peg is trying to be put in a round hole. Jamie didn't fit that hole either but he was more able to bend to conform. Ian doesn't see the need to be what he is not. Jamie certainly has more sympathy for Ian and Jenny now than he did before.

5. Were you surprised when Stephen Bonnet showed up and robbed Jamie and Claire? Actually yes. What a way to pay a debt.

6. After everything the pirates did, do you think Bonnet repaid his debt to Jamie for letting him go by sparing Claire's life? Not even close.

7. What did you think of Claire swallowing the rings? (Or at least one of them) I would have done the same thing. Some things can't be replaced and the rings represent something very special to her.

8. Do you think Jamie was justified in being angry with Claire when she fought back? Yes and no. For all that Jamie knows that Claire is not from his time, he doesn't truly understand the differences. Claire is a product of her time and reacts that way.

9. Do you think Jamie took out his anger with Claire by making her drink the tobacco juice, or was that the best way to retrieve the ring? Ugh, both!

Yes. I think Frank's ring was important to her as well. I hesitate to say Jamie's ring is more meaningful to her but it is.

I certainly hope so and if he does, I hope he doesn't spare Bonnet this time around.

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
OK, I've only just started chapter 2 so I'm being careful not to read the answers or discussion on this…yet. But I can't wait until I've read the whole thing to join in.

"O Brave New World"
Chapter 1-2

1. Jamie had expressed his desire to find all the men from Ardsmuir who had been indentured to America. How do you think he felt when he found Gavin Hayes about to be hanged?
These men were his friends, his responsibility when then were at Ardsmuir. They are the ones who know what he went through there. They all gave him a purpose when he only wanted to die. He took care of them and they took care of him. It is horrible what happened to them and Jamie must have felt terrible for them, for Hayes, and angry at the English.
Jamie gave Hayes the only comfort he could; first the alcohol and then letting him know he wasn't dying alone. Then refusing to bury him in the woods, all alone, because of his fear… dagger to the heart

2. Were you concerned at the presence of so many British soldiers?
I didn't get it at the end of Voyager when Jamie was relieved and gave his real name. Doesn't he know America is still a British colony? He probably does need to be somewhat careful around so many British because there is a possibility of being recognized and betrayed but I didn't see it as a huge danger.

Did you think Jamie's criminal past will follow him to America?
If Jamie's criminal past doesn't follow him to America, he will probably start a new one.

No, the chances of him being recognized is slim and, really, what would they do to him for yelling out in a crowd. Well it is Jamie so they might decide to hang him.

Ian is great but he's a walking disaster! Running away, fire, kidnapping, blood sacrifice…
Ian is every bit as caring as Jamie and as likely to get into trouble (but for different reasons). He doesn't seem to have Jamie's luck for avoiding the worst of the consequences of his actions (like not being killed after Culloden or not being transported after Ardsmuir)

5. Were you surprised that Ian wasn't able to get on the ship back to Scotland? Were you hoping he would stick around?
I was surprised when I read that Jamie was sending him back because I had assumed he would stick around. The wolf, now that surprised me.

6. Will saving Bonnet from the gallows be significant in the future? Does Bonnet owe Jamie a debt of honor?
Bonnet? Who's Bonnet? Must go read!

·
Registered
26,676 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imallbs said:
2. Were you concerned at the presence of so many British soldiers?
I didn't get it at the end of Voyager when Jamie was relieved and gave his real name. Doesn't he know America is still a British colony? He probably does need to be somewhat careful around so many British because there is a possibility of being recognized and betrayed but I didn't see it as a huge danger.
I think he feels somewhat safe because Leonard and Tompkins, who know about his criminal activities in Edinburgh, went down with the Porpoise.

Did you think Jamie's criminal past will follow him to America?
If Jamie's criminal past doesn't follow him to America, he will probably start a new one.
;D How well you know our Jamie. ;D

·
Registered
677 Posts
"O Brave New World"
Chapter 1-2

These men from prison were as much Jamie's men as the tenants of Lollybrach. I think he mourned for Gavin and did what he could for him, even if it was only getting him whiskey and getting drunk with him.

2. Were you concerned at the presence of so many British soldiers? Did you think Jamie's criminal past will follow him to America?
The presence of the soldiers definitely made things tense, but it was highly unlikely that any of them would be aware of Jamie.

Jamie stood out wherever he went, so not really.

He is very loyal to Jamie, as Jamie is to his family. He is also impetuous. Jamie would often act rashly, but usually knew what he was doing.

I think he wanted to miss that boat. He wanted to be with his idol, and going back to Scotland would have been miserable for him. I want to watch him grow up.

We have not seen the last of Bonnet. Yes, Bonnet owes a debt of honor, but as a pirate, I doubt he feels really bound by it. He played on Jamie's sense of honor in asking to be helped in the name of Gavin Hayes. I see Bonnet as an opportunist. He will say what he thinks will benefit him the most.

7. As Jamie said, many of the people that are condemned to hang should be hanged. Do you think Bonnet is one of them?
Definitely. I don't trust him. But Jamie was not the kind of man to feel he could make that call. He had committed hangable offenses himself.

"Past Imperfect"
Chapter 3-5

So much happened to Bree, I fully expected her to be back in Boston to try to put some normalcy back in her life. She was falling for Roger, but wasn't sure if his interest in her was real or because of his promise to Claire to take care of Bree.

I loved his talent and the deep feelings he had for his Scottish roots.

3. Did you think Bree would call out the Fraser war cry? Why do you think she didn't?
No. She is still trying to come to grips with the idea that Jamie Fraser is her real father. Making the war cry would have made her feel like she was abandoning the father that raiser her, Frank.

I was in elementary school at the time.

"Pirates"
Chapter 6-9

Let's see - he knew Jamie was Catholic, a pardoned Jacobite, and didn't know if Jamie had wealth. Something is definitely up. He wanted something from Jamie in exchange that he is not telling.

2. What did you think of Jamie's reasons for not accepting the offer right away?
Jamie has been through so much and is very wary of strings being attached. I admired his handling of the situation.

3. What did you think of the anniversary present Jamie bought for Claire? Do you think the previous owner's disappearance (Dr. Daniel Rawlings) might be significant to the story in ways other than leaving the medical box behind so Jamie could buy it for Claire?
I thought that was so sweet of Jamie, not only the gift, but to remember it was their anniversary. The fact that we know his name tells me we will hear it again.

4. What do you think of Jamie's attempts to tutor Ian in Greek and Latin? Do you think he finally understands how Ian's parents felt?
He is taking his role of guardian very seriously, and wants to do his best for Ian. He doesn't realize that knowledge doesn't come as easily for others as it does him. He is finally realizing the frustration of being a parent.

5. Were you surprised when Stephen Bonnet showed up and robbed Jamie and Claire?
No. He had to reappear.

6. After everything the pirates did, do you think Bonnet repaid his debt to Jamie for letting him go by sparing Claire's life?
No. If he truly wanted to repay the debt, he would not have taken anything from them, but just let them go on their way.

7. What did you think of Claire swallowing the rings? (Or at least one of them)
Typical Claire.

8. Do you think Jamie was justified in being angry with Claire when she fought back?
Was he angry at Claire, or was it just the afteraffects of his fear for her when she was fighting back? Whether he was angry or not, he knew of should have known Claire well enough to know she would not give in easily.

9. Do you think Jamie took out his anger with Claire by making her drink the tobacco juice, or was that the best way to retrieve the ring?
It was the best way to retrieve the ring, but I think he did enjoy it some. But then, if roles were reversed, she would have forced him to drink that nasty stuff too.

Yes. Jamie was her present life and the ring had been her link to him for so long.

Absolutely.

·
Registered
321 Posts
tlshaw *Padded Cell 511* said:
It was the best way to retrieve the ring, but I think he did enjoy it some. But then, if roles were reversed, she would have forced him to drink that nasty stuff too.
ha, too true! It was good repayment for all the nasty stuff Claire made him consume over the years!

·
Registered
677 Posts
danfan said:
ha, too true! It was good repayment for all the nasty stuff Claire made him consume over the years!
Or maybe payback for the shots of penicillin Claire gave him when Loaghaire shot him! :)

·
Registered
26,676 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Or maybe payback for the shots of penicillin Claire gave him when Loaghaire shot him! :)
One way or another, he sure enjoyed making her drink that awful stuff. ;D

·
Registered
677 Posts
There were no questions on this, but I wanted to hear other opinions on Jamie and Claire's discussion about the coming Revolutionary War. Claire wanted to be able to avoid getting caught up in another war. After Culloden and World War II, I can definitely see her point. But, I was so touched by Jamie's wanting to help make America a better place for Bree in the future, if he could. If I was in the same place, I think I would be more like Claire and want to get away from the conflict. Both of them knew that they could not really change things, that had been proven a Culloden. Jamie is showing how much he really cares for his family, even a daughter he has never met and doesn't expect to, since she in 200 years away from him. Is it any wonder we love the man?

·
Registered
26,676 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
There were no questions on this, but I wanted to hear other opinions on Jamie and Claire's discussion about the coming Revolutionary War. Claire wanted to be able to avoid getting caught up in another war. After Culloden and World War II, I can definitely see her point. But, I was so touched by Jamie's wanting to help make America a better place for Bree in the future, if he could. If I was in the same place, I think I would be more like Claire and want to get away from the conflict. Both of them knew that they could not really change things, that had been proven a Culloden. Jamie is showing how much he really cares for his family, even a daughter he has never met and doesn't expect to, since she in 200 years away from him. Is it any wonder we love the man?
I wouldn't expect any less from Jamie. He's going to have to walk a very fine line ... again. If he takes the land from Tryon, he'll be expected to provide men to fight for the British. He'll have to do that while staying on the American side for two reasons. One, to help them win (although he knows they will), and two, to safeguard his people and lands from confiscation by the new government.

From Fiery Cross, I think.
It was interesting that the Scots fought on the side of the British. Their reasoning being they didn't want to lose everything again like they did after Culloden and they thought the British couldn't lose.

·
Registered
677 Posts
The experience of walking this same tightrope in Paris with Prince Charlie will definitely help Jamie and Claire in the colonies. I just don't think Jamie is destined to live a quiet life.

·
Registered
701 Posts
Gertie Kindle 'Turn to Page 390' said:
It was interesting that the Scots fought on the side of the British. Their reasoning being they didn't want to lose everything again like they did after Culloden and they thought the British couldn't lose.
There was also the fact that they had sworn an oath to not take up arms against the British again and the Scots take their oath very seriously.

We will have to wait a few more books to get into this in more depth :)

Jamie has never been one to shy away from a fight and I have not doubt, had he thought the British were "right", he would have fought on the British side against the Americans. Even without Bree, I think he would have chosen the more just side.

·
Registered
26,676 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The experience of walking this same tightrope in Paris with Prince Charlie will definitely help Jamie and Claire in the colonies. I just don't think Jamie is destined to live a quiet life.
And neither is Claire. She may shiver at the thought of going through another war, but she is not one to take things lying down. When action is needed, she takes it, whether instinctive (on the boat with Bonnett) or considered (helping Rufus die).

Jamie's analysis of himself in the current reading really made me stop and think about him a lot more.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Gertie Kindle 'Turn to Page 390' said:
I wouldn't expect any less from Jamie. He's going to have to walk a very fine line ... again. If he takes the land from Tryon, he'll be expected to provide men to fight for the British. He'll have to do that while staying on the American side for two reasons. One, to help them win (although he knows they will), and two, to safeguard his people and lands from confiscation by the new government.

The idea of land being confiscated by a new government was new and shocking to me. I knew the British would, such as after the Rising, because the opposing side were seen as rebels and traitors. It was a shocking idea to think that if the rebels win, they'd confiscate the land from those who didn't fight with them.

Initially I was surprised that they decided to stay in America at all, knowing about the coming war. Yes - I know neither Jamie nor Claire are at all likely to run away, but at one point when Claire asked Jamie, didn't he also say he didn't have as much feeling about it/ it wasn't his war? That he might avoid being involved? With a war in the future and no ties to bind them there right at the beginning, it seemed an odd decision to stay.

As for Tryon, I was worried about ties to him, but I think I'll wait until the discussion of the next chapters of the book to get into that.

·
Registered
677 Posts
danfan said:
The idea of land being confiscated by a new government was new and shocking to me. I knew the British would, such as after the Rising, because the opposing side were seen as rebels and traitors. It was a shocking idea to think that if the rebels win, they'd confiscate the land from those who didn't fight with them.

Initially I was surprised that they decided to stay in America at all, knowing about the coming war. Yes - I know neither Jamie nor Claire are at all likely to run away, but at one point when Claire asked Jamie, didn't he also say he didn't have as much feeling about it/ it wasn't his war? That he might avoid being involved? With a war in the future and no ties to bind them there right at the beginning, it seemed an odd decision to stay.

As for Tryon, I was worried about ties to him, but I think I'll wait until the discussion of the next chapters of the book to get into that.
This is the same discussion where Jamie goes on to talk about the possibility of doing something that will make life better for Bree, since she will grow up in America. Jamie seemed to talk himself from a position of no interest and staying out of things to one where he had a responsibility to do his best to make a good life for his child.

·
Registered
321 Posts
This is the same discussion where Jamie goes on to talk about the possibility of doing something that will make life better for Bree, since she will grow up in America. Jamie seemed to talk himself from a position of no interest and staying out of things to one where he had a responsibility to do his best to make a good life for his child.
Yes, that's it, you're right.

And you've just made me realize why I thought it was still an odd decision. Jamie could turn himself around on a decision very quickly. I take days just to decide the most simple decision, weighing up a hundred pros and cons of each LOL. I am very envious of people who can make a serious decision without hours, days and weeks of torment! I've no idea how they do it, and I don't really understand it. Maybe that's why - to me - it can see unbelievable.

·
Registered
26,676 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
danfan said:
Yes, that's it, you're right.

And you've just made me realize why I thought it was still an odd decision. Jamie could turn himself around on a decision very quickly. I take days just to decide the most simple decision, weighing up a hundred pros and cons of each LOL. I am very envious of people who can make a serious decision without hours, days and weeks of torment! I've no idea how they do it, and I don't really understand it. Maybe that's why - to me - it can see unbelievable.
I think Jamie is used to making life and death decisions under pressure. He seems to be able to see all the nuances as well as the whole picture. I think this is illustrated in his discussion with Claire after Tryon made him the offer.

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
I just finished chapter 5. Yeah!. Ok, Ok, it's not that great, but I am progressing.

6. Will saving Bonnet from the gallows be significant in the future?
Bonnet will probably play a greater role in this story. Unfortunate because the man is slimy.
Does Bonnet owe Jamie a debt of honor? Probably. But what is honor to Bonnet?

Yes, I think Jamie's statement is prophetic.

"Past Imperfect"
Chapter 3-5

I expected her to be in Boston. That was her home and she needed familiarity.

I was surprised by that. Did I miss something about Roger that indicated he took part in this kind of stuff? I know he is into history and all but neither Frank nor the Rev participated in this stuff did they?

No. She was reeling from the pictures of her parents. She wasn't ready to accept being a Fraser.

I was at home, watching in on our black and white TV. I swear that event started my lifelong interest in astronomy and even Sci Fi. Why did Joe think he needed a color TV to watch the moon landing?

·
Registered
26,676 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
imallbs said:
I was surprised by that. Did I miss something about Roger that indicated he took part in this kind of stuff? I know he is into history and all but neither Frank nor the Rev participated in this stuff did they?
That kind of came out of the blue. Frank was in frequent contact with Rev. Wakefield, and you think he might have mentioned it to Frank. After all, a Gathering of the Clans is an historic event that both of them would have been interested in. Or just ... Roger is off to university and he's making extra money by playing the guitar and singing scottish folk songs.

Frank might have said something to Claire about it, but it probably slipped her mind when they were in Scotland. She was a bit pre-occupied.

I was at home, watching in on our black and white TV. I swear that event started my lifelong interest in astronomy and even Sci Fi. Why did Joe think he needed a color TV to watch the moon landing?
Guys and their new toys ;) I didn't get a color TV until about five years after the landing.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts