Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
marianner said:
And at a bargain price that may not last, since it is 50% off the list price. Get 'em while they're hot :)
Not necessarily...The Tolkien LoTR Trilogy was certainly hot when it was released to much fanfare, and now less than a month later the price has come down nearly $2. (was $15.94, now $14.04, also 50% off list)

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
I wonder if the errors have been fixed.  I bought it in October 2008, but heard the were many mistakes and missing text.  My original copy and 13636 locations and so did the new download.  The link took me to a page were it said I'd already bought the book.  If any one buys it now, please post your location count.  I want to see if there is really a fixed edition or new edition.  (This is assuming that a new edition would have a different location count.)

·
Registered
146 Posts
My experience has been that the download is not automatic.  Just redownload the book and the new version will be sent.

·
Registered
10,391 Posts
I just downloaded this, not having read Dune for a long time (and I have no idea where my paperback is, if I even still have it). At a guess, it would appear this digital copy was created by scanning printed pages. As such, after getting about 10% of my way into it so far I've run across a number of typos that would appear to be scanning errors never caught by proofreaders (if there were any?). One specific example that jumps to mind is the word "learn" instead appearing as "leam" ( l e a m in case that's hard to see here).

Additionally, there is at least a full line space between each paragraph -- even though each paragraph's first line is indented -- wasting a lot of space on the screen. At first I found this really annoying, though the more I read it the less annoying it gets as I leam...I mean learn...to ignore it.

On the slightly plus side, there is an afterword by one of Herbert's sons, which I read first. I found it somewhat meandering and only vaguely enlightening, so to my tastes it did not really add any special value to this edition.

·
Registered
501 Posts
After missing the chance to get "The Stand," and "Hitchhiker's Guide," I immediately downloaded Dune (and the next 2 in the series)!

Yep, Amazon & Co. have "taught me a lesson," and I'll no longer wait to get "must read" Kindlebooks from now on!

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
Thanks

·
Registered
257 Posts
I just bought Dune yesterday, and I'm pretty disappointed to discover that the formatting is justified rather than left aligned, causing many words to have huge spaces between them.

*sigh*

Hopefully it will stop bothering me the more I read it.

I haven't purchased many books for the Kindle yet, but all of them have been formatted okay so far. I'm curious to know how many books people have purchased that are justified rather than left aligned? Is it common?

Edit: I just discovered how to change the justification on my Kindle with the font key + J. Nevermind me, still learning. Happy now :D

·
Registered
9 Posts
Geemont said:
I wonder if the errors have been fixed. I bought it in October 2008, but heard the were many mistakes and missing text. My original copy and 13636 locations and so did the new download.
I didn't see a reply. I just checked my copy (just purchased last week) via my iPhone and it shows 10,615 locations. I can verify that the number is the same on my Kindle, but I think it should be the same. I wonder why your location count is different.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts