Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, I apologize if this has been asked before but I searched and couldnt see any topics on how the DX is best handled in airport security screening?  Saw a lot of posts about the K2, any similar or different issues?  Just got my DX and will be traveling in a few weeks and would really hate to screw it up!

Thanks for your replies!

·
Registered
947 Posts
Don't know why it would be different.  Turn it off completely before putting it through the xray and you should be fine.

·
Super Moderator
67,284 Posts
You didn't find anything about the DX because it hasn't been around long enough!  But, yeah, it should be fine if it's completely off.  OTOH, if you are concerned, ask for them to hand check it.

It needs to have the wireless off for sure while you're on the plane, but otherwise you can generally use it during the flight once they've said it's o.k. for electronic devices to be on.  I think it even says that in the users guide somewhere even. . .one of the later chapters.  (Which I only know because I was reading it yesterday in preparation for receipt of my device today. :) )

·
Super Moderator
67,284 Posts
Yes. . . get in touch when you get back and we'll have a show and tell. . . . :D

(which, reminds me. . .time to check on shipping status.  . . . . .)

·
Registered
802 Posts
I sent my K2 though the x-ray screening with no problems. Doesn't matter if it is on or off, or if the whisper-net is on or off.

I, gasp, even read it during take off! Thought I did get into a minor argument with a stewardess who wanted me to turn it off. I told her it "doesn't turn off" (as sleep mode is still displaying an image, just like normal type), so she wanted me to take out the battery. Nope, couldn't do that either. So then I was commanded to just "put it away", as if that would somehow block the evil e-rays from crashing the plane or something. So on the later flights I just keep it tilted away from the stewardesses so they think it is a book :)

Probably harder to do with the DX, but of course if it has a cover you could just hold it so that the flap of the cover blocks their view of the device. Then they will assume it is a DTB and leave you alone.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Depending on the airport, they will NOT hand check the Kindle. I have been told twice now that they have to run it through the x-ray machine. Thought the agents might have been just being lazy, but have been through both airports several times now. Different agents each time and they all have said it has to go through the machine. I just make sure it is completely off and send it through. So far, no problems. This was with the K2, but I am hoping the DX will go through with no trouble also.

·
Super Moderator
67,284 Posts
But, they don't send computers through do they?  And it's a computer. . . .a small, very specialized computer, but still a computer.  Hmmmm. . . . . .

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
My K2 (in sleep mode) went through many x-ray machines last week during my Europe trip.  No problems.  The x-ray machines didn't affect it and security never took a look at it.  I got patted down a couple times in Frankfurt and my curling iron got pulled out of my carry-on to get looked at, but it was smooth sailing for the Kindle.  

Six airplanes and only one flight attendant asked about it.  I do put it away during no-electronics time (if the plane crashes, they can't blame me).  She just wanted to know about the Kindle because she does a lot of international flights and doesn't like to sit in Iran when there's no TV to watch.

And yes, they put computers through the x-ray too.  They just ask that you send it through alone (without the cables or flashdrives packed with it).  My little netbook also went through all the x-ray machines with no problems. 

·
Super Moderator
67,284 Posts
kim said:
And yes, they put computers through the x-ray too. They just ask that you send it through alone (without the cables or flashdrives packed with it). My little netbook also went through all the x-ray machines with no problems.
I did not know that. . .but it's been a while since I flew and I've never flown with a 'puter, though my husband has had his. He's always just had it out and on for them to look at. . . but, again. . .years ago. . . .

·
Registered
9,932 Posts
Ann, initially they'd ask people to turn computers on (and digital cameras too, for a while) but I don't think that ever happens anymore.

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
Ann in Arlington said:
But, they don't send computers through do they? And it's a computer. . . .a small, very specialized computer, but still a computer. Hmmmm. . . . . .
Computers go through the xray screener, alone in a bin.

L

·
Registered
10 Posts
I just returned from three weeks on the Aegean and the Med, and had no issues with my K1 and airport security in any country I flew thru and to. I left in sleep mode, and it rode thru the x-ray machine in my carry-on lugage. Still works perfectly.

While on the aircraft, I had zero requests to turn it off from flight attendants. It was in its cover, so they may have thought I was reading a DTB, but still, it was really nice to keep reading while the aircraft waited on the runway for what seems like forever.

My only complaint about using the Kindle while overseas was that when I finished the first book in a series, I couldn't turn on the Whispernet and order the next book. I had other books loaded and ready to go so I was not without reading material, but I really liked this one and wanted to keep reading (I wasn't sure that I would like it which is why I didn't buy book 2 before I left). I did not take my laptop on vacation with me, so I had to wait til I got back to the US to order that second book.

I will never travel again without the Kindle! All my books in one small package in my carry-on bag!

·
Registered
599 Posts
I've been on three flights in the last month with my K2, and no problems. I make sure that it's completely off when it goes through security in my bag just in case, but it never required extra investigation. The only downside is that because it's an electronic device, you're not supposed to have it on during takeoff and landing, but as long as the wifi is off you can use it throughout the rest of the flight!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Susan in VA said:
Ann, initially they'd ask people to turn computers on (and digital cameras too, for a while) but I don't think that ever happens anymore.
This depends on the airport. My husband travels more than a lot of pilots do for work :D and lately he has been asked at a few major airports in the US to open his laptop and turn it on. The only TSA agent who every asked him to turn the kindle on wanted to see how it worked because she wanted one 8)

·
Super Moderator
67,284 Posts
alexmarie said:
The only TSA agent who every asked him to turn the kindle on wanted to see how it worked because she wanted one 8)
When you think about it, those folks get to examine all the coolest gadgets. . . . . :D

·
Registered
12,456 Posts
I have always left my K2 in my backpack, and most times they don't question it as it goes through the screener.

But this past week I flew to Montana with my new DX, and I left it in my backpack as it went through the screener. They stopped it, separated the DX from my backpack and re-ran them both separately.  

When the TSA screener handed me back everything, she said to separate the Kindle from my bag next time - that the DX is considered a piece of "large electronics" and looks similar to a netbook computer in the screening display.

I fly again on Sunday so will have another chance to test this. My airport is so small, though, that the screeners know me by now and will probably be on the lookout for the guy too lazy to remove his Kindle from his backpack before going through screening.

·
Registered
761 Posts
My K2 has gone through various airport xray machines nearly 50 times since April, so you should be alright.

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
Ann in Arlington said:
When you think about it, those folks get to examine all the coolest gadgets. . . . . :D
That is so true. They see all the fancy stuff.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts