Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
2,111 Posts
I'm glad DX owners don't have to settle for Dead authors anymore if they don't want to! Yay!

·
Registered
703 Posts
Scheherazade said:
I posted this on the other thread but thought it also belonged here so...

http://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?p=494354#post494354

Time to flood the Photo Gallery with 824 x 1200 pictures :)
How do you get them exactly 824 x 1200? I open them in Preview on my MacBook and chose the closest number. Also, changed the jpgs to pngs and B&W.

How do I get to the Root Directory of the KDX? I see the System folder but not the root directory. Is that the directory before you enter the System folder?

·
Super Moderator
67,246 Posts
There are some DX screensavers in the Photo Gallery. . . . .

The root directory is just. . . .there. . . .just don't put it in a folder. . . . .

·
Registered
703 Posts
Ann in Arlington said:
There are some DX screensavers in the Photo Gallery. . . . .

The root directory is just. . . .there. . . .just don't put it in a folder. . . . .
So, when I plug in the DX, I just go to the Photo Gallery folder? I converted color bookcovers to screensavers in B&W close to the 824 x 1200 size.

·
Super Moderator
67,246 Posts
No. . . . .the Photo Gallery is here on KindleBoards. . .has some screensavers formatted for the DX screen.  I don't know how to convert existing pictures, but you might see who's posted ones and ask them. . .

·
Registered
703 Posts
Ann in Arlington said:
No. . . . .the Photo Gallery is here on KindleBoards. . .has some screensavers formatted for the DX screen. I don't know how to convert existing pictures, but you might see who's posted ones and ask them. . .
Thanks, Ann. I just add my book covers as screen savers and they worked fine except, the wrong size. All seem to be over in the upper left corner. I adjusted all the screen savers to 824 x 1200 and most worked great. I also edited them quite a lot to allow them to show up clearly. A neat hack. Thanks.

·
Registered
6,218 Posts
Could someone direct me to a thread that has screensavers sized for Kindle DX (824 x 1200) or instruct me in how to change the size of one on my computer?  I tried to find a way to change the size on some of the screensavers that I saved to a folder, but I don't see a way to do this.

I searched "photo gallery" but I don't see one for KDX-size screensavers.

Thanks.

·
Registered
6,218 Posts
I just edited the photo and changed the dimensions (under image, attributes) to 824 x 1200, but the picture came out smaller (it had been 600 x 800) instead of larger.  Must have left something out.  The size of the file is 115 kb, but I don't know if that is relevant.

·
Registered
703 Posts
mlewis78 said:
I just edited the photo and changed the dimensions (under image, attributes) to 824 x 1200, but the picture came out smaller (it had been 600 x 800) instead of larger. Must have left something out. The size of the file is 115 kb, but I don't know if that is relevant.
Make sure the pixels are set at 824 x 1200 and the file extension is .png. Scale proportionally and resample image should also be among the settings. I use a MacBook, but I think you can change the settings on a Microsoft computer too.

·
Registered
6,218 Posts
It's a JPEG image.  I just don't understand why, after I change it from 600 x 800 to 824 x 1200 that it becomes smaller.  I haven't added it to my KDX, though.  I use a laptop pc.

·
Registered
4 Posts
mlewis78 said:
It's a JPEG image. I just don't understand why, after I change it from 600 x 800 to 824 x 1200 that it becomes smaller. I haven't added it to my KDX, though. I use a laptop pc.
you cannot change the image size form its properties. That value just tells you an information not the actual size of the image.
You have to re-size it by using program like adobe photoshop but your image quality will be degraded

·
Registered
6,218 Posts
I used a photo-editing software that came up, but it's not photo shop.  It had a place to change the dimensions, but it just got smaller.

If it would degrade the photo quality, perhaps I should just find some 824 x 1200 images.  I did a search on KB but they must be buried.  It would be nice if there were a separate thread for KDX-size screensavers.

Would someone direct me to the thread that has some images for KDX?

·
Registered
6,218 Posts
Thanks, Jason.  A good one to start with.

·
Registered
4,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I'm not sure where the other thread is and am not sure about the photoshop problem.  I would offer to help but am sans photoshop while transitioning from my broken harddrive to a Windows 7 system later this month.  But you can do an advanced google image search.  It allows you to plug in the size of the photo then just find the ones you like and convert them to black and white or just load them the way they are and you're set.  No muss or fuss with changing the sizes and hoping the quality holds through the conversion.

·
Registered
6,218 Posts
Thanks for the idea, Sheherazade.

·
Registered
4,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Heh, since you already replied I'll make my edit a new post...

The smaller image thing might have just been Photoshop making it fit your screen.  Next time that happens, look at your magnification level and make sure it didn't zoom out on you or just click your magnifying glass and select "Actual Size".  A lot of times Photoshop will make the image fit your screen so when making a smaller image that is already taking up most of your screen into a larger one, it will look smaller due to it zooming out... if that makes sense.  Sorry, it's 4am and I'm rambling.

1 - 20 of 81 Posts