Kindle Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As we discover DX tips, let's post them here. Eventually I'll compile an FAQ.

Here's the first one I have discovered: If you want to type NUMBERS, you need to use the ALT key (not the up-arrow shift key). For example, if you want to "go to location," press the ALT key and the number key at the same time. The up-arrow shift key is for capitalizing letters.

L

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
On the font menu, there is a choice to show fewer words per line. I was feeling like the screen was "too filled up" if that makes sense. I like the "fewer words per line" option.

L

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Do you prefer to use the buttons on the left hand side of the Kindle? Missing them on the DX? No problem, just rotate the Kindle upside-down and voila! Left hand buttons!

L

·
Super Moderator
67,324 Posts
Leslie, how sensitive is the auto-rotate thing?  By which I mean, how much of a tilt will make the text change?  And how much of a pain is it to turn it off if you don't like it?

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ann in Arlington said:
Leslie, how sensitive is the auto-rotate thing? By which I mean, how much of a tilt will make the text change? And how much of a pain is it to turn it off if you don't like it?
It seems that if you turn it about halfway (ie, 45 degrees, not a full 90) it rotates.

You can turn the auto-rotate off as a choice on the font menu. Pretty simple. Once it's off, it's off, on your home screen and in all books, til you turn it back to auto. You can can select any of the four rotations as the choice for when it is not on auto.

L

·
Registered
11,848 Posts
Four rotations?  Explain if you get a minute please.
I guess I was envisoning two options.
deb

·
Super Moderator
67,324 Posts
I'm guessing top side up, top side down, top side to the left, and top side to the right.  . . . . .I understood from the various demo videos that it rotates 360 degrees.  It is interesting that you can rotate to something that's not 'normal' top side up, and make it stick that way.

·
Registered
11,848 Posts
Oh...thank you, Ann.  I did not realize you could effectively have it upside down. 
I am more and more intrigued by this device.  I have ordered a couple of newspapers, which I love the ease of reading on my K.  But they would be so much nicer on the DX. 
deb

·
Registered
2,111 Posts
Ann in Arlington said:
I'm guessing top side up, top side down, top side to the left, and top side to the right. . . . . .I understood from the various demo videos that it rotates 360 degrees. It is interesting that you can rotate to something that's not 'normal' top side up, and make it stick that way.
WOW! OK i didn't imagine it doing that. At ALL. I think I was like deb and just figured 2 options for rotation. This blows my mind (in a good way).

Is it crazy/sad that was a very huge part of making my day!! LOL

·
Registered
4,076 Posts
Apparently for better battery life, turn off auto rotation.  Makes sense if you think about it.  I imagine the thing has to always be checking the acceleromator whenever it moves otherwise.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts