Kindle Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

I'm a new owner of a Kindle DX and wanted to say thank you to all the forum members.

I just got my new DX and the battery does not last even 24 hours and I do have the whispernet off and I have only 3 books on it ???

Please help :(

·
Registered
200 Posts
Sounds like a faulty battery to me.  Call CS and get a new DX.  Good luck.

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Yea, you should probably give it a go for another day, and if it dies within an unreasonable amount of time again, call for a replacement. 

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
Are you reading a lot of native PDF files? Flipping those seem to drain the battery faster. Or are you frequently causing the screen to change orientation? That adds battery drain as well. Not saying those things account for this on their own unless you've been using the DX a lot, but if one was using the DX all day, I can easily see how the things I mentioned might drain the battery in one day.

·
Registered
2,791 Posts
Didn't Amazon say you could read for 2 weeks without a charge on the DX? It seems like even with all these battery suckers going it should last more than 24 hours.

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
I want to say my DX made it through approx 3 1/2 books during the first week before it needed recharging.  Includes having the whispernet on enough to dowload 20 or so books (so not real long).

·
Registered
2,416 Posts
That doesn't sound right to me at all.
I've had my KDX for almost 10days now and haven't needed to charge the battery again.
I did however fully charge it before turning it on for the 1st time.
Maybe give it a full charge again.Making sure the little light is green before turning it on at all,and see what happens.
If it still only holds a charge for 24hrs I would call CS.

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
Rasputina said:
Didn't Amazon say you could read for 2 weeks without a charge on the DX? It seems like even with all these battery suckers going it should last more than 24 hours.
Yes, with wireless off, but I'm sure that number was derived from very the most nominal conditions, probably after usage by a little old lady from Pasadena who picked up her Kindle and turned it on once a day to read a Bible verse before going to the grocery store in her Model T. :)

You should also fully charge it a few times to see if it improves, but yeah, there might be a faulty battery.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Just one little question...are all 3 books indexed? I had 21 books that wouldn't index for some reason (on my K2), and the unit constantly TRYING to index REALLY runs the battery down. If there's something the DX doesn't quite like, perhaps it's having a bit of indigestion.

Just run a search on My Items. It should show you if anything's un-indexed.

·
Registered
2,111 Posts
Danariel said:
Just one little question...are all 3 books indexed? I had 21 books that wouldn't index for some reason (on my K2), and the unit constantly TRYING to index REALLY runs the battery down. If there's something the DX doesn't quite like, perhaps it's having a bit of indigestion.

Just run a search on My Items. It should show you if anything's un-indexed.
How do you know if a book fully indexed or not? How can you tell the difference. I apologize if this is an extremely stupid question. I just do not know the answer.

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
koolmnbv said:
How do you know if a book fully indexed or not? How can you tell the difference. I apologize if this is an extremely stupid question. I just do not know the answer.
If you do a search for a nonsense word (I use "abcdefg"), it will come back with no results found, and, if you have items that haven't been indexed, it will say something like "3 items could not be searched." You can then click on that to see what they are.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts