Kindle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
6,380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My previous vacuum cleaner recently bit the dust (ha ha) and I replaced it with a Dyson DC-25 Animal. Wow! This thing is the most powerful vacuum I've ever used. It moves around so easily with the ball thingy instead of 4 rollers and the dirt chamber is very easy to empty. With 6 cats in the house, I am used to cat hair all over the place. But it's nice to be able to clean up for non-cat people (or to make my allergies a little less annoying).
This thing works great on both carpet and bare floors and it came with a small motorized brush attachment that gets the fur off the sofa and chairs.
Amazon sells it, but it's on sale at Best Buy: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=9025306&type=product&id=1218009787438
Anyone else have one of these? Can you recommend any of the additional attachments that are available?

·
Registered
426 Posts
I have one. I have deep lurve for my Dyson. It is in the top 5 non-living things I'd try to save in the event of a fire. I'd be the nutjob trying to haul mine out of a burning building :)

For attachments, I love the mini turbine head and the low reach floor tool. It has such powerful suction that if I try to clean my wood floors with Dyson, it is hard to move. So with the low reach floor tool it lightens up the suction a little but still cleans.

I'm wondering if I need to get that car kit..... That flexi crevice tool is very tempting.

·
Registered
2,566 Posts
I have the same vacuum. It definitely does the job, though I haven't had it long enough to know for sure whether it keeps sucking just as hard when it's older as it did when new.

It would also helped if I actually used it more than once every 8 weeks... ;)

·
Registered
157 Posts
I also have a dyson. I have an earlier model DC-07. I love it!! I cannot believe how much dust,dirt cat hair, dog hair etc..... It picks up! When I first got mine I vacuumed with my old vacuum cleaner (bissel pet hair eraser) first then I used the dyson. I could not would not believe how much more stuff came out of my carpet. My hubby said we were walking on that? I said to him that maybe it was sucking up the dirt from the basement. LOL. I also would be the one who saves the animals first then my Dyson!!!!!

·
Registered
383 Posts
I read so many love testimonials from Dyson owners that I had to try it.  
It sucked so much that it didn't work on my high-pile carpet. :)  I was so bummed!
I really wanted it but it is just no good with the carpet in our house.  (Not a shag, but very thick and soft.)

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
We have the Dyson ball vacuum - I think it's the Animal one but I'm not sure - it's purple. We love it so much! The first time we used it, we were amazed at how much hair and dirt it got out of our carpet. Now we have 5 dogs and lots of dog hair and it continues to amaze us. It's going as strong as ever after....hmmm 4 yrs or so? Maybe it hasn't been quite that long but I think we bought ours as soon as the ball option became available. We use it at least every couple of days. It's a dream and it's so nice not to need vacuum bags. With this much dog hair, we would go broke on bags! lol

If this one died, we would go buy another immediately and probably not even look at other options. It's been that great.

·
Registered
368 Posts
We have had ours since before the ball even came out.  (7-8 years?)  I love it.  I used to go through vacuums every 1-2 years because the carpet in our house was so thick and clogged other vacuums and burned them up.  The Dyson can take on the toughest carpet and just keep going.  It is the Animal model, and it does do an amazing job of keeping the dog hair under control.

·
Registered
208 Posts
My DH got us a dyson not too long ago and I'm the only person I know that hates it.  We don't have much carpet, bedrooms, foyer and stairs, the rest of the house is hardwood or tile.

I think a canister would have been better with the hard floors we have and I think I don't like it is because it's too tall for me.  It's awkward for me to use on the steps because of the height of it.  

I really think my old hoover windtunnel picked up as much, but I do like not having the expense of purchasing the bags.  

·
Registered
6,380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
geoffthomas said:
How does the dyson ball vacuum compare to other manufacturers?
I've killed several shop vacs and Dirt Devils over the years. My latest one was a Riccar and it lasted 10 years. In fact, it still kinda works, but only when the bag is pretty new.
The Dyson is easy to move around and it seems to be made pretty well. The extension wand is a little weird, but I figure I'll get used to it.
The suction is amazing. Even when I can see a LOT of cat hair in the dirt cup, it's still picking more stuff up. I have a fairly low pile carpet in most of the house plus some vinyl and tile. It seems to work great on all of them.
I can't speak to how well it will last since I am only on Day 3, BUT, Dyson does include a 5-year warranty. I think that speaks well for the company's faith in their products.

·
Registered
190 Posts
I love my Dysons.  I have the DC Animal for the carpets upstairs and the little one with the ball for the hard surface floors downstairs.  With 3 dogs, a cat, and various foster animals in and out of here, I couldn't live without it!  ;D

·
Registered
860 Posts
I have a Dyson and love it!  We've had it 3-4 years with no problems at all.  The only pet hair we have is mine - long, red hair.  It's everywhere.  I have to clean out the brush every month or so but that's something I've had to with any vacuum.

Before my Dyson I was getting a new vacuum every year to two with a few repairs thrown in for good luck.  I figure I've more than gotten my $$$ worth by getting the Dyson.  When/if it dies, I'm getting another one but I'm hoping it has the longevity of a Kitchen Aid mixer!

·
Registered
148 Posts
I love love love my Dyson! I have two small children, a large hairy dog (German shepherd) and three cats, and it does a GREAT job of keeping our house livable! :)

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
I had an Electrolux for years that did a great job.  But the poor thing died.  After reading Consumer Reports I went with a cheaper Hoover vacuum.  My husband said we should buy a Dyson, but noooo I had to have the Hoover.  Hated that thing.  Finally, it died -- it may have had something to do with the new hammer I purchased.    ::)

My DH insisted we purchase a Dyson ball.  It works well with tile, hardwood and carpeted floors.  We don't have pets  :'( so our Dyson is basic, but it is a little work horse.  My DH told me he was "always right" before we got married.  I thought he was joking -- he wasn't.  Hate to say it, but DH was right about the Dyson. 

1 - 20 of 55 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.