Kindle Forum banner

41 - 60 of 102 Posts

·
Registered
12,250 Posts
Betsy the Quilter said:
Thanks, I hadn't looked at that page, found it now. And interesting that yours and Chris's are treated differently.

But it does say in the FAQ (see my earlier post) that the credit can be used for anything.

Betsy
Yeah, that is odd. I had some pending subscribe and save items so it might have been acting a bit odd as the last day to change that is tomorrow I think. In the end, it doesn't really matter since we can use it on anything. But this way I can now separate in my head what it is I am spending on books for basically free and what else I need from amazon which I will use CC for.

Glad they aren't restricting this amount.

·
Registered
9,161 Posts
Okay, I found another applicable Amazon page, but I can't get it to copy the link so I am copy/pasting it here.

"Terms and Conditions for 2016 Apple eBooks Antitrust Settlement
Your settlement credit is subject to the following terms and conditions:

1. To be eligible for the settlement credit through Amazon, you must have had a U.S. billing address and must have purchased a Kindle book published by Hachette, HarperCollins, Simon & Schuster, Penguin or Macmillan (including their divisions) between April 1, 2010 and May 21, 2012.

2. Amazon will apply the settlement credit automatically to your account, and then automatically apply your settlement credit toward your purchase of qualifying items through Amazon.com, an Amazon device or an Amazon app. The credit applied to your purchase will appear as a gift card in your order summary during checkout and in your account history.

3. Amazon will apply existing credits or gift cards in your account before applying your settlement credits.

4. Your settlement credit will apply to the total purchase amount of your order, including costs like taxes, shipping, or gift wrapping. You cannot use your settlement credit for any purchases of Amazon gift cards or certain subscriptions.

5. Customers will be responsible for the balance of any orders that the settlement credit does not cover. Amazon will use the payment instruments on file in your account to satisfy these balances.

6. Settlement credits will be valid through June 24, 2017. Unused settlement credits are subject to expiration after this date, by order of the Court overseeing this settlement. This term supersedes any inconsistent terms of your Amazon account.

7. Settlement credit amounts are determined by the number of qualifying Kindle books purchased multiplied by an amount set by the Court. Amazon cannot vary the settlement credit amount.

8. Settlement credits cannot be transferred or redeemed for cash.

9. Returned items purchased with settlement credits will result in restoration of the settlement credit in the amount of the return, subject to these terms and conditions.

10. Your purchases will otherwise be governed by Amazon's Conditions of Use."

So, #3 would indicate that Atunah is correct.  I have no clue why it didn't work that way with my balance.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Mine came through yesterday. I got a credit of $393. I didn't think I had purchased that many books. :eek: I was debating about either purchasing a new Kindle or a set of expensive artist pencils I've been eye-balling for the past few months. As I already have three working Kindles, I went with the artist pencils. Nice surprise none the less.

·
Registered
19,866 Posts
Paegan said:
Mine came through yesterday. I got a credit of $393. I didn't think I had purchased that many books. :eek: I was debating about either purchasing a new Kindle or a set of expensive artist pencils I've been eye-balling for the past few months. As I already have three working Kindles, I went with the artist pencils. Nice surprise none the less.
you know, i didn't think about using the settlement towards a new kindle.... thanks.

·
Registered
9,161 Posts
There is someone on the Amazon boards reporting their email says $1,884.73 - I can't even wrap my mind around that!

·
Registered
5,509 Posts
This unexpected credit was such a wonderful surprise! Mine's already spent. :)

·
Registered
12,250 Posts
crebel said:
There is someone on the Amazon boards reporting their email says $1,884.73 - I can't even wrap my mind around that!
Woah. Now assuming it was all NYT best sellers, easier to calculate right now. That means they purchased 272 NYT best selling books in 2 years. My math skills are not enough to assume some NYT and some non.

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
Atunah said:
Woah. Now assuming it was all NYT best sellers, easier to calculate right now. That means they purchased 272 NYT best selling books in 2 years. My math skills are not enough to assume some NYT and some non.
Or they could have purchased 1200 non best sellers. ;)

·
Registered
2,464 Posts
Wow!  $224 and it was a big surprise. I saw a notice on facebook in a book club I am in and went to check my balance. I about fell over as I was expecting a smaller sum based on what people were saying about theirs in the book club. Then I knew I had to come here and get the scoop...and to make me feel better about about my book buying! I was afraid to say my balance in the book club, but I knew I'd feel at home here. ;D

Just got to thinking...they may have spent a lot on books too, but a lot of them read paper books so their gift card balances were not as impressive probably for that reason.

·
Super Moderator
67,245 Posts
We don't have enough information to work it out if there was a mixture of BS and nonBS.

Bestsellers earned $6.93 each and other books earned $1.57 each

If N is the number of bestsellers puchased and I is the number of others purchased, the equation that describes what you got is

6.93N + 1.57I = 1884.73

Pick a number for N or a number for I and solve for the other one. There will be lots of answers -- keeping in mind that I and N are always integers -- 'cause probably you didn't buy a fraction of a book.

It's a good problem for a HS math student . . . . . ::)

Also, N + I = T, where T is the total number of books purchased. If we knew T, we could figure N and I.

;D

·
Registered
19,866 Posts
Ann in Arlington said:
We don't have enough information to work it out if there was a mixture of BS and nonBS.

Bestsellers earned $6.93 each and other books earned $1.57 each

If N is the number of bestsellers puchased and I is the number of others purchased, the equation that describes what you got is

6.93N + 1.57I = 1884.73

Pick a number for N and a number for I and solve for the other one. There will be lots of answers -- keeping in mind that I and N are always integers -- 'cause probably you didn't buy only part of a book. It's a good problem for a HS math student . . . . .

Also, N + I = T, where T is the total number of books purchased. If we knew T, we could figure N and I

;D
math geek!

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
Like Atunah when I first saw rumbles about this, I thought it was for books purchased at iBooks and had nothing to do with me. So the whole thing is a pleasant surprise. I think I got $60 some back when and didn't realize this was part of the same deal. I'm close to a twin with Ann - $165.34.

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
To further confuse the math, and quoting from crebel's post above,  the settlement doesn't include all books, but only those purchased from certain publishers:

"To be eligible for the settlement credit through Amazon, you must have had a U.S. billing address and must have purchased a Kindle book published by Hachette, HarperCollins, Simon & Schuster, Penguin or Macmillan (including their divisions) between April 1, 2010 and May 21, 2012."

I did look quickly at my Amazon history of digital orders  for this time period, but the history mixes in everything together - books, music, movies, etc.  I'm too lazy to sort it all out to check the math, but technically you could do this if you wanted to. (Of course, you'd also have to know which ones were New York Times bestsellers.)

·
Registered
137 Posts
I've never even glanced at gift card possibilities.  I'd not have known to look if I'd not seen this thread.  $76.66.  But-  while reading the conversation here, I thought wow, great idea-  pre-buy into my own account.  And today, there's the $5 extra on a $100 refill of your gift account, so I did it.  Its been hours.  I got the $5 almost instantly, added to the settlement amount, but the $100 shows in my purchase history, I got an email, its out of my bank, but its not showing in my total balance.  That's stubbornly remaining $81.66.  How long does a top-up to a gift balance take to register?  Its not showing in the gift activity, but is, in my purchase history.  I have no idea how this whole process works.  Have I missed something I still need to do?  (asking those experienced here, before starting the entire exhausting ordeal of navigating Amazon help)

41 - 60 of 102 Posts