Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I'm new here. I was just wondering what sets a spectacular book cover apart from one that is drab...
As well, can anyone recommend a cover designer for supernatural books?
Any help would be great.
Thank you !

·
Premium Member
63,461 Posts
sparklingbean--

I've moved your post to the Writers' Cafe, our forum where our authors mostly hang out.  I'm sure you'll get tons of opinions and responses here!

Betsy
KB Moderator

·
Registered
1,114 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
sparklingbean said:
Hey guys, I'm new here. I was just wondering what sets a spectacular book cover apart from one that is drab...
Any help would be great.
Thank you !
Gonna recommend myself here:
http://www.jsimmonsillustration.com

Check the work out and feel free to drop me a line. I like to talk to authors before either of us commit to make sure I'm the right man for the job.

·
Registered
278 Posts
I also would like to throw Reese Dante into the mix. She designs for all genres. She didn't design my first (Black Diamond Death), but she designed my next one that's a thriller, and it is amazing. One of her covers just won an award for best cover art 2011. :)

Here's her site:

http://reesedante.com/

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Guys thank you for the help. Honestly, I will look into all of your suggestions. I know this is off-topic but have any of you been really scared?
I am working on a novel and I want to get it out ASAP but I am [email protected]## scared.
Why am I scared?
I do not know. Rejection? perhaps...
Have you guys ever felt like this and if so how do you deal?

·
Registered
353 Posts
sparklingbean said:
Guys thank you for the help. Honestly, I will look into all of your suggestions. I know this is off-topic but have any of you been really scared?
I am working on a novel and I want to get it out ASAP but I am [email protected]## scared.
Why am I scared?
I know exactly how you feel. It's more important that you get published than that you put out a perfect work. Go ahead and write an imperfect first draft, with minimal (if any) editing. This will help you get it done faster, and to get it done. Then you need to clean up the spelling and grammar, after which you can submit to critique groups to improve it.

Writing a novel is a long and tedious process. And even after you get published, you likely will not have instant success. But the important thing is to get that first novel done and published. It likely will not be your best work, but that's okay. You'll improve with time, and you'll be a million times more likely to write a second book once you get your first one published.

·
Registered
991 Posts
I totally freaked when my book came out, but it was mostly because of some of the controversial and crude writing in my novel. LOL! It's been received very well so far, even by the big reviewers. I get the occasional really awful reader review, but I was certainly expecting to get a lot more boos and hissing.

I never consider a bad review to actually be a bad experience. Sometimes, the writer can learn from such reviews and make improvements for that next novel.

If the review is just mean and nasty, you've got to learn to shrug it off and have a good laugh.

PJ

·
Registered
12,227 Posts
sparklingbean said:
I felt this way when I found out my first book was about to be published (epubbed with a small press). Weirdly, as soon as I decided I would publish under a pen name my fear evaporated. It was like all I was really scared of was seeing the name "Carol Green" on the cover. Once it was changed to "Dara England" I was fine with it. A pen name sorta helps me seperate my work from myself. Dara is much braver than Carol. :)

G

·
Being scared is normal, and not just of rejection. If you succeed your novel will be out in front of an audience, not just friends, family and beta readers, which can be a daunting prospect. I just tend to work through it, so I don't have any wise advice, although like Dara I found a penname helps.

·
Registered
26 Posts
sparklingbean said:
Any help would be great.
Thank you !
It varies, of course, but at its most basic it boils down to good design. Genre has a small influence on it too. The images, the colors, the text all have to fit together well in a good composition that gives the person looking at it an accurate and enticing glimpse (from afar as well as close up) of what's inside the cover.

What sets an amateurish cover apart from a professional looking cover is usually the typography** and secondarily the composition ...and then to a certain extent the rendering of the piece, choice of colors and choice of images etc also.

**Most non designer-ish people don't realize how important typography is because often powerful typography is invisible... it works its magic without you even realizing it's there.

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
Dara England said:
I decided I would publish under a pen name my fear evaporated. It was like all I was really scared of was seeing the name "Carol Green" on the cover. Once it was changed to "Dara England" I was fine with it. A pen name sorta helps me seperate my work from myself. Dara is much braver than Carol. :)
I know what you mean about the freedom of a pen name. I find I am two different people - and the author Grace Elliot is less worried about what people might think. LOL>

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I see so it really is not just me. I have realized that many people stress the importance of a good editor. Who do you guys use?

·
Registered
516 Posts
I second streetlightgraphics.com for covers.
Glendon did all of mine. Love his work!
I always get scared when I put my books out there. So, I remember to "just breathe".
Good luck.

·
Registered
648 Posts
sparklingbean said:
Why am I scared?
One thing about indie publishing is the benefit of being scared but still having the ability to put your book out there for the world to see. No one hears you scream in private if it doesn't sell.

Print publishing is a whole different ballgame and that sinking, cold terror feeling starts the moment the FEDEX truck pulls out of the driveway to the moment (often several weeks later) when the editor calls to say the book is accepted, then there is the horror of getting the copy edits and sometimes having to rewrite whole sections and chapters and characters because the editor doesn't thing they're strong enough, or its missing some element or whatever. Then comes the panic when the book hits the shelves and you wait for that first review because basically, you know your editor has been kind and just wanted to put out a readable product, but it's the reviewers who have the power to shred your confidence into confetti sized pieces.

I wonder about authors who say they AREN'T scared or worried. And I wonder about authors who have no doubts or fears about their work. I think if you lose that fear, you stop trying to do your best and you turn into that editor who just wants to put out a readable product.

Just my two cents, BWTFDIK

·
Registered
19 Posts
sparklingbean said:
Any help would be great.
Thank you !
Well, my book cover was done by my publisher (and friend - full disclosure!) but he now offers a flat-fee service for writers going the indie route (also a package which takes a manuscript all the way to the Kindle Store).

You can check it out at www.mojitopressplus.com (and me at www.angelinacabo.com)

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
I was just wondering what sets a spectacular book cover apart from one that is drab...
That's a good question. I don't really have an answer because I don't know - I think there are many out there who do know the answer and have made careers out of it, But I'm not one of them :p - I think some people just have a natural eye for it...

·
Registered
19 Posts
RonnellDPorter said:
That's a good question. I don't really have an answer because I don't know - I think there are many out there who do know the answer and have made careers out of it, But I'm not one of them :p - I think some people just have a natural eye for it...
One thing - people are used to traditionally published book covers which are designed to make you pick up a physical book from a table in a book store - an ebook cover needs to be eye-catching (and, hopefully, tell&sell the story) even when it's thumbnail size (or more challenging still, black and white on a Kindle!).

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
Angelina Cabo said:
One thing - people are used to traditionally published book covers which are designed to make you pick up a physical book from a table in a book store - an ebook cover needs to be eye-catching (and, hopefully, tell&sell the story) even when it's thumbnail size (or more challenging still, black and white on a Kindle!).
Another thing that I encounter a lot is that authors want to clutter their eBook covers with paperback text. For example, "book one of the so-and-so series," or place reviews on them. No one is going to see them when they're that small, and on a kindle screen it just looks tacky (IMHO.) Many forget that the ebook cover will rarely be seen without some product description - ne'er doubt the power of the product description to handle your bits of information! ;)

1 - 20 of 26 Posts