Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
12,456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This AP story doesn't say much new, but it does indicate that electronic book sales have seen "double-digit increases" since Kindle was released. Even Sony Reader downloads have increased, probably as a result of the elevated exposure that Kindle is giving the whole e-book market.

More than four months after Amazon.com released the Kindle, no one is sure whether the wireless portable reading device is hot. But publishers think it has helped the tiny electronic market.

Amazon.com has declined to give sales figures -- at least 2,000, judging from the number of customer reviews -- but has said that supply isn't keeping up with demand.

Publishing officials say they have seen double-digit increases in e-book sales since the Kindle's release, including renewed interest in downloads on the Sony Reader.

"Publishers have told me that, in some cases, the Sony numbers were double or triple what they had been," says Michael Smith, head of the International Digital Publishing Forum, which tracks e-book sales.

Selling through Amazon.com for $399, Kindle is thinner than most paperbacks and weighs 10.3 ounces. It can hold some 200 books, along with newspapers, magazines and a dictionary.
LINK

·
Registered
28 Posts
Forgive me if the question is applicable, but have you seen your ebook sells continue to soar since this original post ie have you seen double digit percentage increases?

·
Super Moderator
67,325 Posts
The original post. . .from nearly 2 and a half years ago. . .was about general statistics of e-books over all as compared to sales of paper books.  Not about any particular person's sales success.

There's lots of discussion of that in the Writer's Cafe, however. . . . :)

·
Registered
8,822 Posts
I truly believe we are witnessing a phenomena that is altering the way humans take in, organize and process reading material.  How exciting to be a part of this !!

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
It's gotten so much easier to buy a Kindle in the last three years.  You can buy one at Target, Best Buy, or Staples.  There's one model that costs just $114. Amazon's about to release a new model that's even cheaper.

So yeah, I'm not surprised that e-book sales are increasing... :)

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
NapCat said:
I truly believe we are witnessing a phenomena that is altering the way humans take in, organize and process reading material.
Somehow I don't think this started with e-readers. ;)

·
Registered
556 Posts
I bet we'll see e-readers get as low as $50 in the future. With the rise of the digital age, everything will be digital. Movies will continue to be sold in digital format, same goes for music and books. We like things at the touch of a button. :)

·
Registered
195 Posts
This is amazing statistics for authors, but not so great for publishers and booksellers. As an author, I've been trying to get my novel published for over a year, and no one will take a chance on it. Without eBook technology, my novel would never have been read by anyone apart from friends and family and the agents and publishers who rejected it. Now the publishers don't get to dictate. If somebody wishes to read my book, they can. That's the most important thing to me.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Ebook sales have been strong this year, but just wait until Christmas. I think it will be another step-change from last year, when ebook readers (esp. Kindle) were the huge Christmas gift item.

·
Registered
16,323 Posts
Rodney Walther said:
Ebook sales have been strong this year, but just wait until Christmas. I think it will be another step-change from last year, when ebook readers (esp. Kindle) were the huge Christmas gift item.
I have a feeling that Christmas is going to blow sales right out of the water.

·
Registered
9 Posts
This isn't all that surprising when you consider how much advertising has gone into the Kindle. They have the "Mac v. PC" type ads running now on TV, the Kindle is ALWAYS on the homescreen for Amazon...and if you think about it, once you buy a Kindle, you don't really buy paper books anymore (although my girlfriend is bucking that trend for some reason after she got the Kindle I bought her!).

E-books are (generally) also cheaper than paperback books and its so, so much easier to buy an e-book from the comfort of your home. I agree with the people above me who said they are excited to be a part of the changing book market. If nothing else comes from this, I am hoping that the traditional publishers take the hint that great books are not "few and far in between", but written every day.

Then again, I am biased since I am a self-published author with only an e-Book, so I have a vested interest in this whole thing. But I am also a technophile, and I can tell where trends are going. e-Books are becoming the MP3s of the book world. Let's just hope that the rampant piracy doesn't come along with it.

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
NapCat said:
I truly believe we are witnessing a phenomena that is altering the way humans take in, organize and process reading material. How exciting to be a part of this !!
In general, I would consider that...the Internet.

Reading on an e-reader, IMO, isnt much different than reading a real book. I think that's why I prefer it.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Casper Parks said:
One of the network news dot coms had a poll going. Where do you buy your books. Internet and Bookstores were running neck and neck.
That is really interesting but I think not surprising either. I am very curious though how long it will take for the Internet to completely overshadow brick and mortar places.... I definitely believe the clock is ticking, loudly.

·
Registered
993 Posts
chris41336 said:
This isn't all that surprising when you consider how much advertising has gone into the Kindle. They have the "Mac v. PC" type ads running now on TV, the Kindle is ALWAYS on the homescreen for Amazon...and if you think about it, once you buy a Kindle, you don't really buy paper books anymore (although my girlfriend is bucking that trend for some reason after she got the Kindle I bought her!).
What does she read? There are still a lot of topics, especially nonfiction, which are not widely available as ebooks, or at least not for significantly cheaper prices.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts