Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know if there is a risk of burn in on e-ink devices like the Kindle?

I got the idea for this custom screen after earlier seeing a similar one done by another user (tashab). This is not the final version, but a first draft. The final includes contact information.

Does the black background create any stress on the e-ink techonology that should concern me?

http://i369.photobucket.com/albums/oo140/mykereid/kindlescreen_test.jpg[/IMG]]

·
Registered
4,076 Posts
As far as I'm aware there's no risk of burn-in with eink.  Amazon even recommends leaving your Kindle in sleep mode over turning it off.  So if the hours you leave a static picture on the device don't hurt it I don't see why high levels of black would make a difference.  It may ghost a bit more when you wake it up, but a simple ALT-G takes care of that.

·
Registered
761 Posts
I've also heard there's no chance of burn in as an e-ink pixel is pretty much in either an on-or-off state. After waking the Kindle from screensaver mode you may see residual darkness from the last image, but all you need to do is hit Alt-G to refresh and you'll be fine.

·
Registered
126 Posts
aw, I'm glad I inspired you! I don't have a problem at all, and I have a couple dark screens. also, I created my screensaver on wordle. it wouldn't let me save it as an image, but if you take a screen shot and crop it, it works perfectly. :)

·
Registered
5,384 Posts
jazzi said:
Does anyone know if there is a risk of burn in on e-ink devices like the Kindle?

I got the idea for this custom screen after earlier seeing a similar one done by another user (tashab). This is not the final version, but a first draft. The final includes contact information.

Does the black background create any stress on the e-ink techonology that should concern me?
I don't think it's supposed to be an issue - but if you're concerned you could always do it in reverse - or even do both so that rotates between the "positive" and the "negative" image. Cool screensaver, by the way!

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Meemo said:
I don't think it's supposed to be an issue - but if you're concerned you could always do it in reverse - or even do both so that rotates between the "positive" and the "negative" image. Cool screensaver, by the way!
I actually tried it that way first (black on white), but I didn't find it nearly as nice looking.

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
Technically, with eInk technology, it wouldn't be "burn-in" anyway, as there is no lighted elements involved. I guess you could call it "ghosting," but more accurately it'd simply be a sign of certain pixels being stuck on, I think. I keep my Kindle in Sleep mode all the time, and in over a year of usage, no problems whatsoever.

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
jazzi said:
I got the idea for this custom screen after earlier seeing a similar one done by another user (tashab).
tashab said:
aw, I'm glad I inspired you! I don't have a problem at all, and I have a couple dark screens. also, I created my screensaver on wordle[/net]. it wouldn't let me save it as an image, but if you take a screen shot and crop it, it works perfectly. :)

Extremely Cool idea!! Thanks to both of you. Am working up a similar screen and will probably embed some contact info in amongst the words. Kudos to both of you!!

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
when you have the final copy, post pics. Looks good so far.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Tip10 said:
Extremely Cool idea!! Thanks to both of you. Am working up a similar screen and will probably embed some contact info in amongst the words. Kudos to both of you!!
My pleasure! A good reason to dust off Photoshop, which I hardly ever use. Now, if I could learn to do some of the other cool stuff that Tashab has for screen savers.

·
Registered
126 Posts
jazzi said:
My pleasure! A good reason to dust off Photoshop, which I hardly ever use. Now, if I could learn to do some of the other cool stuff that Tashab has for screen savers.
actually, I snag my brushes from deviantart.com and my fonts from dafont.com. both have tons and tons of free brushes/free fonts. but I have no idea how to use Photoshop, I always use Paint Shop Pro. But you find much better/cuter brushes for PS anyway. :)

·
Registered
1 Posts
This is one of the first google results for 'kindle screen burnin'... so I hope someone has something useful to tell us instead of a bunch of random guess that a priori it shouldn't be possible for e-ink to burn in...

Cummon people, don't randomly speculate unless you know.

I do NOT own an e reader but today at Best Buy I carefully inspected a Kindle, Sony ereader, and Nook. And ALL three had some really nasty e-ink burn in. They also had been powered down to a white screen prior to my playing with them. Sooooo... I don't know why, but consider yourselves warned.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
I have noticed a phenomenon they call "ghosting" on the Kindle. When you're playing a game -- Triple Town, for example -- the Kindle's screen can eventually get a residual "ghost" image of something which had been drawn and then erased on some part of the screen.

The good news is, it isn't burn-in. If you leave the screen and come back, the problem goes away altogether. It's apparently got something to do with full screen refreshes vs. partial screen refreshes. I'm actually really impressed by the way the Kindle comes back with a new, clear screen, again and again. Amazon earns nearly $40 billion a year, and apparently they used their money to shop around for the very best possible screen technology.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts