Kindle Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anybody else ever wish for an e-ink laptop?
The battery life would be epic, and I can't imagine a more comfortable screen to stare at while writing.

·
Registered
10,391 Posts
Not until they speed up the display response and do not require the black/white screen flash to avoid image/text ghosting.

While it might save some power, a laptop in typical use is doing a lot more in terms of CPU power, drive access, network access, etc., etc., than a Kindle is when just reading a book. In fact, just play a few games of Monopoly on your Kindle and watch the battery go from full to half full in 2-3 hours. ;) )

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
NogDog said:
Not until they speed up the display response and do not require the black/white screen flash to avoid image/text ghosting.

While it might save some power, a laptop in typical use is doing a lot more in terms of CPU power, drive access, network access, etc., etc., than a Kindle is when just reading a book. In fact, just play a few games of Monopoly on your Kindle and watch the battery go from full to half full in 2-3 hours. ;) )
Yeah, the drain goes up when the processor has to work hard, but a kindle battery is around 1500 mAh and a laptop battery is much bigger. I think my thinkpad has a 6600 mAh battery.

·
Registered
382 Posts
What would be great is the ability to switch to e-Ink on something like an iPad. I got the original Kindle when they first came out and I love it. A few weeks ago I got an iPad and I love that too, but not for reading. But, if I could switch to e-ink when I want to just relax and read a book, now that would be the best of both worlds!

·
Registered
8,822 Posts
A black & white laptop?  I doubt if e ink would display half of what is viewed on line very well.....much less work documents....

I like to compute on my computer; read on my e reader......I really do not see the need to merge these two devices??

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I just wish I could do my word processing (writing) on an e-ink screen. That would be so easy on the eyes...

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
oliewankanobe said:
Have you considered an AlphaSmart? You can pick them up used on ebay DIRT CHEAP.
Hehe. I am the proud owner of an Alphasmart Dana with an ass-kicking twenty hour battery life. Man, I love that thing. I write all my short fiction on it, but I need to fall back on my Thinkpad to work on novels. Bless the Alphasmart Dana, though. Darn thing will run on AA batteries if you want. And yes, they are almost free on ebay.

·
Registered
6,664 Posts
e-ink for things like tablets would be good.  Not sure I would want it on my PC, but then again, as I type this, I was thinking that being able to switch back and forth might be good.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Not sure I'd like to write on E-Ink. I use a few different programs when I write, like my color-coded spreadsheet and I use Scrivener for the cork board feature for notes on writing and rewriting, so I think E-Ink would through me.

·
Registered
1 Posts
A.D. Bloom said:
Does anybody else ever wish for an e-ink laptop?
The battery life would be epic, and I can't imagine a more comfortable screen to stare at while writing.
Yes I would. Whatever I do on my computer, telephone, terminal except for watching movies I do not need a colour tv. At least I need the colour tv less than getting rid of the heating unit, carrying the ugly power supplies and depending on power outlets. Also, when I look at my very clever phone it has no information at all until I pet it and make the colour tv light up.

As of the screen flashing to wipe itself clean did complaining friends ever consider that their eyes are blinking thousands of times a day, switching between dark and light. Did it ever bother you?

·
Registered
209 Posts
I'd also like to try writing on an e-ink laptop.

I take my regular laptop in the back yard & the glare is just too much, and I don't want to spring for an anti-glare screen.

It would be awesome if they (the techo powers that be...) would develop a full-color e-ink tablet that had full power all day.

·
Registered
5,555 Posts
BMathison said:
I'd also like to try writing on an e-ink laptop.
I take my regular laptop in the back yard & the glare is just too much, and I don't want to spring for an anti-glare screen.
Excuse my ignorance. What is e-Ink laptop.

I totally agree with the glare part. It's so bad that I can't even use my laptop outdoors.

Is there anything I can do to make my existing screen anti-glare? I don't mind buying hard ware if it exists. But I am not ready to change my computer. I use sony.

·
Registered
604 Posts
How about an SVGA E-ink display with 1024 by 768 pixels that you could connect to your laptop
or desktop PC for when you wanted an E-ink display.  It shouldn't have to cost much different from
a Kindle.  You might even be able to hack a Kindle to display images it got over it's usb port, although
that would require an appropriate driver on the PC end.  E-Ink is strictly black/white so to get the
1024 by 768 pixels with grey levels would take more pixels than that as you would need some sort
of a half-tone screen effect using several pixels to get passable greys.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Wow, that would be awesome! Staring that the computer all day makes my eyes buggy!

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
I agree with scl. Rather than a dedicated computer/laptop, an e-ink monitor would be great!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts