Kindle Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Does anyone have exact up-to-date figures on the e-book market share Amazon controls (in relation to B&N, Apple, Google etc.)? A google search throws up wildly conflicting numbers. My guess is it's around 60% but I would like to be sure.

I'm also looking for e-reader market share for the Kindle (I think it's 50% or so), and Amazon's share of the overall book market (approaching 50% I think).

Anyone got some reliable sources?

Dave

·
Registered
6,898 Posts
e-reader market share is going to vary between countries (i.e. Kindle isn't nearly as popular in Canada as it is in the US). Also, with regards to market share for ebooks, again, you'll need to look at it you are meaning just your country or if you mean worldwide, since Kobo is popular outside of the US, whereas Amazon is King in the US.

The numbers vary because it depends upon how they have arrived at those numbers and what they are basing the ratios on.

·
Registered
4,808 Posts
dgaughran said:
Hi,

Does anyone have exact up-to-date figures on the e-book market share Amazon controls (in relation to B&N, Apple, Google etc.)? A google search throws up wildly conflicting numbers. My guess is it's around 60% but I would like to be sure.

I'm also looking for e-reader market share for the Kindle (I think it's 50% or so), and Amazon's share of the overall book market (approaching 50% I think).

Anyone got some reliable sources?

Dave
Since Amazon doesn't release numbers I don't think there are reliable numbers. I'd say the e-reader market share for Amazon is higher than 50 percent in the US based on the guesses I've read. Internationally Sony has a decent market share, but is losing some of that to Kindle and Nook.

·
Registered
6,565 Posts
It's further complicated by the fact that we don't really measure huge numbers of books.  Self-published books are invisible, and they are seldom measured.  So Amazon's figures would include indies, but traditional booksellers and distributors would not.  And nobody's counting the people who are selling ebooks off their websites, even though there are a LOT of them.  Some vendors, like e-Junkie, don't differentiate among different kinds of digital matter -- software, music, books, artwork: it's all just bytes.

So I think the statement about the Pink Snowbunnies Skiing in Hell applies to the idea of exact figures when it comes to ebook market share.

Camille

·
Registered
3,651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for that info everyone. I think the estimate of around 55% of the US e-reader market seems about right.

But for e-books, I've seen widely varying figures. In 2009 they seem to have had a 90% share of the market, and we all know that has fallen quite a bit.

However, some commentators say Amazon still have 70%, others peg them at around 50% (with B&N at 25% and Apple, Google, Kobo, and the rest making up the remainder).

Has anyone seen any recent, reliable estimates for the US market?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.