Kindle Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://technolog.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2011/06/27/6957609-e-reader-ownership-up-tablets-not-as-much

"E-reader ownership of devices like Amazon's Kindle and Barnes & Noble's Nook doubled from 6 percent last fall to 12 percent this spring among Americans, while tablets, like Apple's iPad, are owned by 8 percent."

"Over the last six-month period, e-reader ownership grew at a faster pace among Hispanic adults than it did among white or African-American adults, and there was "considerable growth in e-reader ownership among college graduates, one-fifth of whom (22%) now own this type of device. E-reader ownership is also rising faster among adults under age 50 than is the case among older adults.""

Biggest surprise for me from the story: 22% of college graduates own an e-reader. While surprising, now that I think about it a good portion of the friends I had while in college now own a Kindle.

· Registered
125 Posts
Fast Company article states that e-readers are now more widely owned than tablet computers. I think it's exciting to know that there are many out there that have opted for an electronic device that is devoted to the reading experience alone over a multi-purpose device like the iPad. They do note that Nook Color may have something to do with it but I thought it was an interesting read and thought I'd share!

http://www.fastcompany.com/1763477/e-reader-ownership-doubles-surges-ahead-of-tablet-adoption

· Registered
1,248 Posts
Tablets are limited in what they're good for doing. It's not that you can't do a lot, but there's a lot that's made difficult by onscreen keyboards or having to use a bluetooth keyboard. My husband just bought a Xoom tablet and likes it--but it's mostly for a few android games and reading books and his forums and browsing the net (makes a great netbook). It's not for doing work. It's mostly for reading, but it cost more than a laptop.

The Nook touch I bought for my daughter was far less, and I can rest easy knowing she's reading when she's supposed to be and not playing on a computer.

Given price and less distractions, I'm not surprised that ereaders are more popular than tablets. I also prefer reading on my e-ink Nook classic than to reading on a screen like the LCD of my laptop.

· Registered
2,830 Posts
I have a few techie friends who got ipads or tablets, for them it was a gotta buy thing and they raved about them.  For me, I saw limited use.  But after a while their techie thrill did wear off and it's better for some things than others.  I suspect eReaders will go down to that magic number price point (sub 59.95) within 18 months and sales will soar.  Rocket.  Until then sales will continue to increase at a steady pace.  I don't see that happening with ipads or tablets.

Most eReaders don't need to be able to 10 different functions--reading a book will work just fine for most people.  Keeping it simple will be the way for eReaders to go. 

· Premium Member
67,100 Posts
I've moved your thread from the Writers' Cafe, Keira, and merged it with the existing thread on this news story, sorry for any confusion.

Betsy

· Registered
805 Posts
There is no point in pitting tablets and e-readers against each other, they are the SAME DEVICE.

Let me explain. The only reason we differentiate between tablets and e-readers is the display technology (LCD vs e-ink) and price. But I bet in less than 5 years these two markets will effectively merge, and in 10 years both the ipad and the kindle will be quaint tech relics much like a walkman, portable DVD player, and a gameboy advance (remember when games, movies, and music were on seperate devices?) Granted, there will probably still be dedicated e-readers as e-ink tech will just get cheaper and cheaper, but once mirasol or dual screens or whatever video enabled color e-ink replacement comes out you will quickly see the tablet market collapse into the e-reader one because unless they are priced prohibitively high, most folks will take just one device.

· Registered
1,683 Posts
jason10mm said:
There is no point in pitting tablets and e-readers against each other, they are the SAME DEVICE.

Let me explain. The only reason we differentiate between tablets and e-readers is the display technology (LCD vs e-ink) and price. But I bet in less than 5 years these two markets will effectively merge, and in 10 years both the ipad and the kindle will be quaint tech relics much like a walkman, portable DVD player, and a gameboy advance (remember when games, movies, and music were on seperate devices?) Granted, there will probably still be dedicated e-readers as e-ink tech will just get cheaper and cheaper, but once mirasol or dual screens or whatever video enabled color e-ink replacement comes out you will quickly see the tablet market collapse into the e-reader one because unless they are priced prohibitively high, most folks will take just one device.
x2, probably less than 5 yrs for the (affordable & lightwt*) merge.

Those are just my 2 primary criteria. I'm tempted to by a Samsung Galaxy S (Tab approx 7" by 5"), double the thickness of a K, and the same (great) Droid touch UI as my Samsung smartphone.

But I really dont need the Tab...I dont really surf the net except for travel/shopping info when I'm out, and my smartphone has all the bases covered...including the Kindle app.

· Registered
124 Posts
This is interesting. I wonder if these college graduates are getting these as graduation gifts. Good to know eReaders are growing in popularity.

· Registered
342 Posts
I'm tempted to get either an e-reader or a tablet, but eh....I do just fine with the iPhone. Best of both worlds in my opinion. However, it's hard to deny the growth in popularity. It's virtually impossible for me to ride the Subway without seeing at least one e-reader.

· Registered
3,217 Posts
jason10mm said:
Granted, there will probably still be dedicated e-readers as e-ink tech will just get cheaper and cheaper, but once mirasol or dual screens or whatever video enabled color e-ink replacement comes out you will quickly see the tablet market collapse into the e-reader one because unless they are priced prohibitively high, most folks will take just one device.
Yep. Once I can get a quality dual-mode screen tablet I'll happily get rid of my Kindle. I don't need a dedicated reader personally. I just have one as I prefer reading on e-ink to LCD. Give me a dual mode screen tablet, and then I have no need for the dedicated reader which seldom leaves my night stand currently.

· Registered
2,832 Posts
As the article says, though, the line is blurry. Where does the Nook Color fall, as an ereader or a tablet?

I don't really see the point in comparing the two types of devices, though. And as mentioned, smartphones outsell both of them, and for some people they are reading devices, too.

How about comparing phones that take pictures with single lens reflex dedicated cameras? If you really want to take good pictures, there's no comparison to make.

· Registered
3,217 Posts
Both of those are fine comparison.

A cell phone with a decent camera is more than enough for most people who just take simple point and shoot pictures and thus don't need a fancy digital camera.

And a tablet is a fine e-reader for most folks who just read a few books a year and thus don't need a dedicated reader, and are better off with a multifunction tablet that they'll actually use on a regular basis

But a diehard photographer will want a nice, expensive digital camera, and a diehard reader will likely want a dedicated reader.

So the comparisons are valid IMO as people need to know how the devices work for their tasks when trying to buy the gadget that best fits their own needs.  It all comes down to what a person wants to do with the device.

That said, I don't care for all the silly media articles about the death of ereaders due to tablets etc.  I think there's plenty of room in the market for both tablets and cheap dedicated reader devices.  It's not some zero sum end game where only one device can survive.  They can exist along side each other, just like there's still no shortage of digital cameras and mp3 players despite a majority of gadget-oriented folks having phones that can take ok pictures and play music.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.